Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have fund a great pricing deal on Ninja 1000 which I fell in love few months ago first time I sat on it...when I sit on the bike, it feels right size, etc. Now i never rode a bike before and I am scheduled to take the class in about 2-3 weeks. I do know beginners should stay away from 1000 bikes BUT, it is not impossible. I feel I am responsible enough to start on bike of this size but I would rather hear advices from experienced riders. Thank you!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I may have fund a great pricing deal on Ninja 1000 which I fell in love few months ago first time I sat on it...when I sit on the bike, it feels right size, etc. Now i never rode a bike before and I am scheduled to take the class in about 2-3 weeks. I do know beginners should stay away from 1000 bikes BUT, it is not impossible. I feel I am responsible enough to start on bike of this size but I would rather hear advices from experienced riders. Thank you!

If you don't mind... can I be in your will as well? Why would you immediately step up to a 1000 when you have no idea how to control the weight and powerband of the bike when taking turns/twisties? I'm all for starting off on a 600 if you have common sense and don't rush yourself... that's what I did.

If you are going to a 1000 because of an ego I would say you need to walk away because that will get you killed.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Oh, and you will never really be able to learn the proper riding skills starting on a 1000. If you have an emergency situation (car cuts you off or you need to pivot right away) you will be another donor cycle that is the cause of our insurance being so high.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear you guys and have to say that I agree with most of it what you are saying... Here is a picture of me on 2012 650...
Reason for getting a Ninja 1000 is not my ego or anything to do with it or speed, or to have something to show off BUT simply the price: I found 2011 ninja 1000 for only 8500$ brand new, red or black, plus all the fees so the otd price would come out to be probably around $9400/9500... That is the reason I thought of starting on it...

Example: My wife never rode a bike in her life and she started on 650... Bike that does 0-60mph acceleration in 3.1sec and she is doing fine on it for her 134lbs and bike that's three times her weight... I figure getting a bike now would save me from trading a 650 in next year or so, since the loss of money would be lot greater... Tis way paying the cheaper price Puts me where I want to be...

While we are at it, 650r was quoted at 7500 which I prefer not to go with cuz of liking 2012 650 much better... Only thing they have only green one and not black one which is my primary color pick... Geen I can settle with so pretty soon it will be one or another but this ninja 1000 is simply not leaving me alone!!!!!

PS Cannot pit you guys in the will since I do not have it lol

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
But guys... He's more responsible than other new riders and will learn to ride it slowly and safely!!!

In all seriousness, the "I'm more responsible" excuse has been used and abused more times than any of us could possibly count.

Short answer: Not a good beginner bike by any means.

Longer answer: Hell no the Ninja 1000 is not a good beginner bike by any means.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
But guys... He's more responsible than other new riders and will learn to ride it slowly and safely!!!

In all seriousness, the "I'm more responsible" excuse has been used and abused more times than any of us could possibly count.

Short answer: Not a good beginner bike by any means.

Longer answer: Hell no the Ninja 1000 is not a good beginner bike by any means.
Hate to say it but this is what I believe as well. Yeah it's a good price but is it really worth screwing up on and then throwing away all of that money. It is extremely unforgiving (ex: hitting a speed bump and then accidentally romping the throttle).

If you want, purchase the bike and keep it in storage until you get some miles under your belt if you truly want that exact bike.

On another side note, you can write a will on a napkin and sign/date it and it is legal! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Also, I could probably hop onto a 1000 and have no problem now because of my experience but I will say that I can bet you I would still be unforgivingly whipped around if I made a mistake and I have quite a few riding miles under my belt.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Just had a buddy crash a Ninja 1000, only had about 400 miles on it.

It's all up to the rider, but you won't know if you're the right type of rider until it's too late.

There will ALWAYS be great deals on a bike out there, never base your purchase off that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Super-sport bike is much more to handle than regular sportbikes (non supersport) just because 600 is like a 600 monster thats "track to be driven on" made...

On the other hand I agree with all posts and will not get 1000this time... I will however try to get best possible deal on ninja 650r - debating either 2011 or 2012... Difference is about $1000 roughly...

Thanks all for honest and caring comments, I do appreciate it!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just had a buddy crash a Ninja 1000, only had about 400 miles on it.

It's all up to the rider, but you won't know if you're the right type of rider until it's too late.

There will ALWAYS be great deals on a bike out there, never base your purchase off that.
Could not agree more with you! Great deals will always be there And you are completely right!!!

Thanks much!

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Super-sport bike is much more to handle than regular sportbikes (non supersport) just because 600 is like a 600 monster thats "track to be driven on" made...

On the other hand I agree with all posts and will not get 1000this time... I will however try to get best possible deal on ninja 650r - debating either 2011 or 2012... Difference is about $1000 roughly...

Thanks all for honest and caring comments, I do appreciate it!!!

Good to hear you made the right decision. I think it is very wise and I hear great things about the 650s. They have plenty of power to learn on for sure and they won't make you feel bored after you become more experienced.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
my suggestion is to get a used bike for your first bike. There's no reason to get new. You're probably going to lay it over and screw up your nice, new bike.

Get a used 09+ 650R, ride it for a year and then buy yourself a new thousand and go from there.
-Cody

·
Registered
20 Posts
my suggestion is to get a used bike for your first bike. There's no reason to get new. You're probably going to lay it over and screw up your nice, new bike.

Get a used 09+ 650R, ride it for a year and then buy yourself a new thousand and go from there.
-Cody
Good advice, take it.

My son never rode a bike in his life but wanted one. He bought a used Ninja 250, rode it for a month, got his full license and then sold it to buy a 600.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

-Cody
I have been checking used bikes 650 though and could not find anything that Makes sense to buy... I really agree with you and have nothing against used bikes, but the reason why I may end up with brand new is that I simply cannot find a nice used 650 around here for a decent price. Everything I find is like 2009 with 10,000 miles or more and with the price tag of above $4500 closer to 5,000$ ... Other ones I have found were 5600 for 2000 miles and 2011 model but it vanished within hours from posting time, and another one was 6000$ with 2500 miles...
Maybe I am not looking hard enough but this includes all of the Chicagoland dealers and no luck...
Therefore, I cannot justify paying 6000 for used bike with no warranty but pay 7700-7800$ for brand n one with the warranty...

I should say that this close dealer where my wife got the bike does indeed have 2011 model that they a asking about 7500 OTD for it which I think is a little bit steep price to pay... If i am able to get lets say 6700 price tag for it plus free helmet, I may get 2011 model plus they have black one ready in stock they need to get rid of which would be mine primary color I want... If I go with 2012 I can settle with candy lime green... Then when the time is right pull the plug and get it traded for a 1000 after couple of seasons I guess or whenever it makes sense...

Here is me on Ninja 1000 during the Chicago show in Rosemont, IL ...
http://imm.io/lrwv

·
Registered
7 Posts
lol i just read the title and i havnt had a good laugh today until now thank you. but seriously have you ever ridden dirtbikes like a kx125 or something. after riding in the dirt you truly understand how to control a motorcycle i jumped on a cbr1000 when i was 17 and been doin fine for 4 years now. i suggest riding in the dirt and then get a 1000

1 - 20 of 36 Posts