Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you're sure you're going to upgrade to that 1000 within a year or two, I strongly advise you to buy used, otherwise you're going to get hosed on resale value. Also, I'm assuming this is your first bike and if you drop it, it'll hurt a bit less if it's a used bike.

Nonetheless, I'm glad you came around...I've had my 500R for a year and even though I sometimes crave a bit more power I doubt I'm ready for the Ninja 1000 (even though I see one in my future if insurance rates are reasonable; love that bike as far as appearance and ergonomics). I'm thinking of moving to the Z750S as an intermediate step since I rode a 650R and I don't think the minor increase in power would be worth the upgrade cost.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Super-sport bike is much more to handle than regular sportbikes (non supersport) just because 600 is like a 600 monster thats "track to be driven on" made...

On the other hand I agree with all posts and will not get 1000this time... I will however try to get best possible deal on ninja 650r - debating either 2011 or 2012... Difference is about $1000 roughly...

Thanks all for honest and caring comments, I do appreciate it!!!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
Just signed up for this forum yesterday and saw this thread but didn't have a chance to post up.
I am really glad to see OP decided not to start on the Ninja 1000
I have one and absolutely love it, but I rode a '78 and a '79 KZ1000 through high school and after (mid 1980's), in Florida where the blue hairs try to kill stupid invincible teens on bikes. I managed to survive without a crash and in so doing gathered a lot of experience.

Fast forward 20+ years. Somehow managed to stop riding then suddenly last year got the bug again. Don't ask how I went all those years without riding cuz I don't know.
Juices once again start flowing and off I go shopping.
Rode my brand new 2011 N1k home on November 1st. LOVE it!
I tell you what, the bikes of today are like the space shuttle compared to those older ones. I wasn't too worried but of course I was nervous.
Cut to the chase, this is NOT my first bike and not my first liter bike, but this sucker is amazing. I would under no circumstances recommend this as a first bike for a noob.
It has manners but it also has afterburners.

Start smaller, learn, gather experience, survive, learn, trade up.
Good decision, OP!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Buddy of mine just traded in his '09 zx6r for a '12 zx10r. He was a beast on the 6r that he's ridden for 4 years but he's scared shitless to rip on the 10r.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
So the many arguementative threads of starting on a 250 vs. 600 were not enough to show you that a 1000 is a terrible idea?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here is the detail most riders miss. You CAN start on a 1000cc bike and be fine. You CAN ride a 1000cc bike as an "experienced" rider lacking a solid training and be fine. The bike is NOT a monster. It's not just going to automatically get up and kill you. That is why your wife is still alive today.

However....what kills new and experienced riders alike is lack of experience and skill to deal with unexpected circumstances. Point being, if you are a responsible rider and no incidents occur that require you to have a lot of experience, then you will be fine. Think of it this way, you can drive around without a seat belt for years with no issues....until you NEED it! You can ride around starting on a 1000cc bike and be fine for years. Problem is, on a bike there are a LOT of things going against you. Cars can't see you and can't judge your speed, trucks will drop sand in turns, drunk drivers will straddle lanes just like sober ones. Question is, what are you going to do when your life is threatened and you are on a bike that has ZERO patience for your inexperience?

Will being "responsible" allow you to take an exit ramp at more than twice its rated speed to save your life? Will it teach you how to emergency with powerful brakes without flipping the bike? Will it make you suddenly allow you to be able to utilize maximum acceleration to avoid being rear-end without looping the bike?

I have ridden for tens of thousands of miles and the Z1000 scares me a little. Perhaps that is why I have never wrecked on the street. I fully respect the danger and my limits. I started on a 250 and loved it. Sold it for a 650 because the kick start was getting old in the winter. Today, one of my many bikes is yet another 250 which I use to further my skills.

I hear you guys and have to say that I agree with most of it what you are saying... Here is a picture of me on 2012 650...
Reason for getting a Ninja 1000 is not my ego or anything to do with it or speed, or to have something to show off BUT simply the price: I found 2011 ninja 1000 for only 8500$ brand new, red or black, plus all the fees so the otd price would come out to be probably around $9400/9500... That is the reason I thought of starting on it...

Example: My wife never rode a bike in her life and she started on 650... Bike that does 0-60mph acceleration in 3.1sec and she is doing fine on it for her 134lbs and bike that's three times her weight... I figure getting a bike now would save me from trading a 650 in next year or so, since the loss of money would be lot greater... Tis way paying the cheaper price Puts me where I want to be...

While we are at it, 650r was quoted at 7500 which I prefer not to go with cuz of liking 2012 650 much better... Only thing they have only green one and not black one which is my primary color pick... Geen I can settle with so pretty soon it will be one or another but this ninja 1000 is simply not leaving me alone!!!!!

PS Cannot pit you guys in the will since I do not have it lol

·
Registered
219 Posts
Please put me in the will as well as everyone else, my names chris btw, so you know who to put down. The same as with what everyone is saying, its not just controlling yourself and when you use the power, but its how to use the power. You develop good habits and techniques on a smaller bike.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Please put me in the will as well as everyone else, my names chris btw, so you know who to put down. The same as with what everyone is saying, its not just controlling yourself and when you use the power, but its how to use the power. You develop good habits and techniques on a smaller bike.
You might be out of luck. If I recall correct, he got a Ninja 650, bought appropriate gear, and took the MSF class.

I don't think he had a deathwish...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I definitely agree that a beginner should start out on a 250 or possibly a 650.

I just finished the MSF course in NC and from my experience this weekend, I won't be entertaining the idea of getting anything over 650 for a long time, if at all.

There were at least two times during the course where I made what I'm sure is a classic beginner mistake: Accidentally rolling the throttle while squeezing the front break lever, getting panicked, and loosening the grip on the clutch. Needless to say, I went flying and was luckily able to gather composure and stop the bike before I hurt myself. If that wasn't on a 250, I'm sure it would have been much worse.

I'm just sharing my story incase anyone else comes to this thread, thinking the same as the OP. Even though we may be responsible, even a seemingly dumb noob mistake and can be very bad on a stronger, less forgiving bike.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It is the power to weight ratio that spells trouble for learners. It doesn't matter you ride a rgv 250 or you ride an insanely quick 2 stroke 500cc... if they are fast a learner rider will be in trouble. Z1000 is big and fast, so not impossible but surely asking for it.. No matter how responsible you are laws of physics, human error and rider experience will determine a riders fate on the roads.... it takes a second to get out all wrong and then no point of retreat! So think about it zone your skills on something lighter, slower and forgiving before you make that decision... it is your decision and if you have weighed your pros and cons then you will wear it.
650 Ninja 64bhp at the crank with a twin cylinder power band is a good start, a 636 or 600rr are almost twice the bhp so what did your wife learn on?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I am going to buy a 1000 for my FIRST bike, because I can get a deal. Let me tell you, ambulances and hospitals are MUCH more expensive than losing 2k when you want to upgrade to a 1000.

No one will EVER advise you that it is OK to start on a 1000. If you are looking for assurances, you wont find them here. They are all right... and it isnt about being able to "handle" it in a straight line... it is about gravel, sand, cagers, animals, pedestrians etc... all trying to kill you while you tether 130hp to your right wrist.

You may not die, you may not crash... but you WILL be a menace to every other rider/driver on the road. Would you buy your 16 year old daughter a Ferrari, because you got a good deal? If you have a frontal lobe, the answer is no. In the motorcycling world, you are a 16 year old girl...

·
Registered
650 Posts
I am going to buy a 1000 for my FIRST bike, because I can get a deal. Let me tell you, ambulances and hospitals are MUCH more expensive than losing 2k when you want to upgrade to a 1000.

No one will EVER advise you that it is OK to start on a 1000. If you are looking for assurances, you wont find them here. They are all right... and it isnt about being able to "handle" it in a straight line... it is about gravel, sand, cagers, animals, pedestrians etc... all trying to kill you while you tether 130hp to your right wrist.

You may not die, you may not crash... but you WILL be a menace to every other rider/driver on the road. Would you buy your 16 year old daughter a Ferrari, because you got a good deal? If you have a frontal lobe, the answer is no. In the motorcycling world, you are a 16 year old girl...
Well put.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I may have fund a great pricing deal on Ninja 1000 which I fell in love few months ago first time I sat on it...when I sit on the bike, it feels right size, etc. Now i never rode a bike before and I am scheduled to take the class in about 2-3 weeks. I do know beginners should stay away from 1000 bikes BUT, it is not impossible. I feel I am responsible enough to start on bike of this size but I would rather hear advices from experienced riders. Thank you!

I first started out on a 2008 yamaha FZ 600. I read quad and dirt bikes forever but when you get on the open road with a motorcycle it's nothing like riding dirt bikes or quads. I rode my Yamaha 4 about three four years I traded it in and got a 2012 Ninja 1000. Although the Ninja 1000 is not a super sport and his hands down 10 times more powerful than average 600 non super sport motorcycle the weight is a lot different also. I know everyone says you should always start out with a smaller bike when you're a beginning Rider incoming from somebody that's been on a motorcycle for about 14 years you should absolutely start off on a smaller bike.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts