Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally in the market for a bike and finally have the money saved up. I'm a new rider so this will be my first bike. I've been looking on craiglist and I'm finding a lot of options. I found a 2011 Ninja 250 with 30,000 miles on it for sub $2500, but I figured I could probably get the price lowered because of how many miles it has. I've also found '09's with less miles for not too much more.

Would the 2011 Ninja 250 be more trouble than it's worth with that many miles on it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would wait for another 250. I'm new to bikes but not new to engines, With 30k on a tiny motor, you should be asking the seller for proof of work done on the motor, gaskets, valve adjustment, carb tuning & cleaning, and all the basic stuff. The guy should be selling it for $1000.

If you are serious I have a friend selling a black 08 250 with only 5k miles for 3k. However, she is located in Norcal. In addition, she had a lot of work done on the bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on asking for all the information on what's been serviced and all that, the bike has been on there for awhile and the seller has lowered the price a few times, so it seems like not a lot of people are interested in it. Would it be worth it for $1000, or would I still be putting more money into repairs on that vs. the value of the bike/vs. older bike with less miles?

I'm still learning, so I'm sure whatever bike I do get will/may have the chance of getting beaten up.

Thanks for the offer, but that's a little bit too far for me. Haha.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
At that mileage it depends. If it has been maintained and taken care of, the motor should be fine. If its been abused and neglected you will probably have issues. If seller can't prove the routine and preventative maint. steer clear of it.
Oh yeah. Definitely not worth 2500 resell value.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
369 Posts
So would $2500 for a '09 with 3000-5000 be a high price? That's the average I'm seeing right now for where I live, even a bit higher.
What people ask and what they get are usually 2 different things. If you go with cash it usually makes it an easier transaction in your favour.:banana:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Where are you? Different regions carry different values also. The worst thing you can do when buying is to get impatient. You usually pay more then. Its more of a buyers market instead of a sellers now. Price depends on the condition of the bike.
An item is only worth what someone will pay for it. Look at a bike, think about a price you feel comfortable and offer that. Maybe even slightly lower. All he can say is no. Be patient and keep looking. A few days longer to get a good deal will be worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
at 30k miles it has most likely been used as a daily commuter, you probably found a very honest person considering how easy it is to swap a dial to show less miles on a 250.

But at 30k miles proof of valve adjustment at the very least should be asked for.

I would just turn it on, hear how it runs, does it start right up? check the tires but considering the miles he should had changed the tires at least twice, brake pads, etc..

Overall I have seen these bikes run well over 100k , the problem lies that you are will be most likely upgrading in about 1 year, the miles will make it hard to sell because people (like some of the posters above) assume a bike with 30k miles is high millage and won't want to pay you what you paid for, in that sense it is better to look for a lower mileage bike even if it cost a bit more since you will get your money back when you sell it.

edit : I've had my 2012 ZX6 for 6 months and I already put in 13k miles so yeah, but still running like new.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Venom actually has a good point about the mileage theory. If you go look at the bike make sure the engine is cool to the touch before starting. If it is hard to start or smokes it probably won't do it or be near as noticeable when the engine is warm. That is a way to hide a problem.

·
Registered
126 Posts
@InsanePie - I sent you a PM, check it out.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
If the owner has excellent service records, the bike starts and runs well from a cold start and overall loos good, I would say more in the 1500$-1800$ range. If not good service records etc, I would pay $1000 for the bike, that way if need be you can just drop a new motor in if needed. Otherwise just move on and find one with less miles

·
Registered
6 Posts
i got a 11 ninja 250 green last week with 3400 miles for $3600 with jacket, helmet, gloves, bike, all taxes/fees, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice everyone! That was really helpful!

So far I haven't gotten a response from the owner yet, but an '08 came up and has around 7000 miles.

So just have to play the waiting game, haha.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd steer away. That's a lot of mileage in a little time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
d

So, did you end up buying one? I paid 2500 for a 2011 with 5K miles. My opinion, no! Look some more on craigslist. You'll find a better deal if you haven't yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts