Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kawasaki 650ABS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I picked up a 2013 650ABS model with 4,700 miles on it from an auction (probably my first mistake) Got it home and did an oil change then took it down the road maybe a mile and back. Noticed the oil was milky looking. Changed the oil again to see what was up and while draining it I noticed green coolant in it.. Thought maybe a blown headgasket but I've been searching the forums here and found alot of people have the problem with bad seals in the water pump. It does not leak out of the weep hole like others have experienced though.. Do you think bad seals in the water pump could cause the coolant getting into the oil? Do you think its possible the waterpunp seals are bad even though it is not leaking from the weep hole? Any help is appreciated..

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Hi and welcome, there were some cases of minute oil leaking from the water pump assembly but the oil was leaking outside the casing. This can be easily fixed by replacing the water pump shaft / impeller but it is not known to cause coolant leaking into the oil circuit.

·
Registered
2013 Kawasaki 650ABS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm so would it sound more like a headgasket issue to you then rather than water pump seals?

="GR rider, post: 4769665, member: 131794"]
Hi and welcome, there were some cases of minute oil leaking from the water pump assembly but the oil was leaking outside the casing. This can be easily fixed by replacing the water pump shaft / impeller but it is not known to cause coolant leaking into the oil circuit.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Hmm so would it sound more like a headgasket issue to you then rather than water pump seals?
I can't be sure about that, I am just saying that the water pump leak problem is an oil and not a coolant leak problem.

I would suggest using an engine flush product like this:

If you are certain that there is coolant in the oil after multiple oil changes though, you should go to a mechanic...

·
Registered
2013 Kawasaki 650ABS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't be sure about that, I am just saying that the water pump leak problem is an oil and not a coolant leak problem.

I would suggest using an engine flush product like this:

If you are certain that there is coolant in the oil after multiple oil changes though, you should go to a mechanic...
Hmm I'll try doing an engine flush then, I bought all the new seals for the water pump just waiting on them in the mail so I'll change those just in case, reassemble, oil flush then see what happens.. I'm just praying it's not the headgasket 😅 I'm just 100% sure coolant is getting in the oil somehow just hoping it's a simple fix and not anything major.. The bike was a re-po at the auction with only 4,000 miles on it so I thought it was a good deal but maybe the coolant mixing with oil is why he let it get repossessed and sold off 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Hmm I'll try doing an engine flush then, I bought all the new seals for the water pump just waiting on them in the mail so I'll change those just in case, reassemble, oil flush then see what happens.. I'm just praying it's not the headgasket 😅 I'm just 100% sure coolant is getting in the oil somehow just hoping it's a simple fix and not anything major.. The bike was a re-po at the auction with only 4,000 miles on it so I thought it was a good deal but maybe the coolant mixing with oil is why he let it get repossessed and sold off 🤷‍♂️
Good luck! Keep us posted, I hope the new seals will solve the problem.

And make sure to use the motorcycle specific engine flush product.

·
Registered
2013 Kawasaki 650ABS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There're some pics of the 2nd oil change (did not run after changing just filled and drained) and the water pump. Parts should be here next week I'll update with results

·
Registered
2 Posts

="GR rider, post: 4769665, member: 131794"]
[/QUOTE]
Head gasket failure would produce a grey/ lite colored smoke out of the exhaust ...plugs fouled?..check those two and if you have a leak down gauge set ; pump it up and listen/ watch for leaks ...good luck on that one ! Those motors are problematic ..I've seen several head gasket/ water pump related failures !!

·
Registered
2013 Kawasaki 650ABS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Head gasket failure would produce a grey/ lite colored smoke out of the exhaust ...plugs fouled?..check those two and if you have a leak down gauge set ; pump it up and listen/ watch for leaks ...good luck on that one ! Those motors are problematic ..I've seen several head gasket/ water pump related failures !!
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips!! I'll check the plugs out and see what they look like, I didn't really see any white smoke from the exhaust (but I wasn't really looking for it either) the parts for the water pump will be here Saturday so I'll rebuild that and hope for the best.. if that doesn't fix it a buddy of mine has a shop so we'll start breaking down the motor and see what we find. I should've done more research on this model before buying it with all the problems it seems people have with it.. I'll probably end up selling it off once I get it fixed up and buying something different so I don't have anymore headaches down the road. It's just crazy to me that a bike with only 4,000 miles has this kind of issue. Who knows how the prior owner treated it/rode it though

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
82 Posts
Thanks for the tips!! I'll check the plugs out and see what they look like, I didn't really see any white smoke from the exhaust (but I wasn't really looking for it either) the parts for the water pump will be here Saturday so I'll rebuild that and hope for the best.. if that doesn't fix it a buddy of mine has a shop so we'll start breaking down the motor and see what we find. I should've done more research on this model before buying it with all the problems it seems people have with it.. I'll probably end up selling it off once I get it fixed up and buying something different so I don't have anymore headaches down the road. It's just crazy to me that a bike with only 4,000 miles has this kind of issue. Who knows how the prior owner treated it/rode it though
It's honestly no fault of the bike, they are very reliable, don't let this put you off. You always get bad apples. I've literally just had the first failure in my bike at 44,000 miles and it was a thermostat stuck closed + air in the coolant system. I'm abusing my bike all the time, as long as you keep up with maintenance they'll go on forever, I'm sure there are a lot of others that can back me up on this but I wouldn't sell it if this solves the issue. That said you mentioned it was an auction find, now to me that engine does NOT look 4700 miles old, I'm willing to bet a good amount it's a wrecked bike that was rebuilt with new clocks or something, There is no way the paint would be crackling off on a 2013 with 4700 miles when my block is near pristine and I leave my bike outside all year round. I'd have a look into the bike's history if possible, apart from that I'm not sure how it would already have a blown head gasket...

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
It's honestly no fault of the bike, they are very reliable, don't let this put you off. You always get bad apples. I've literally just had the first failure in my bike at 44,000 miles and it was a thermostat stuck closed + air in the coolant system. I'm abusing my bike all the time, as long as you keep up with maintenance they'll go on forever, I'm sure there are a lot of others that can back me up on this but I wouldn't sell it if this solves the issue. That said you mentioned it was an auction find, now to me that engine does NOT look 4700 miles old, I'm willing to bet a good amount it's a wrecked bike that was rebuilt with new clocks or something, There is no way the paint would be crackling off on a 2013 with 4700 miles when my block is near pristine and I leave my bike outside all year round. I'd have a look into the bike's history if possible, apart from that I'm not sure how it would already have a blown head gasket...
My thoughts exactly, these bikes are very reliable in general and as we say here when you buy a used vehicle you get a piggy in a bag, you never know for sure until you open the bag.

That said, if I were you, I would keep the bike after finding out what's wrong with it and repairing it, at least for a couple of months, in order to really evaluate my purchase.

·
Registered
2013 Kawasaki 650ABS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You make a good point there, that's why I was kind of puzzled as to why its having issues with so little miles on it. It definitely had been laid down before (could tell by a bent kickstand and scuffed up farings) Didn't really cross my mind that they could've changed the odometer, that very well could be the case though. All I could tell from the title was that it had a lien on the bike and "2000 miles" when the previous guy purchased it. Then I'm assuming it got repo by the bank and auctioned off to me. The bike is pretty clean other than the few spots on the motor. I thought it might be from salt on the roads around here? Not sure though. I'll add more pics of the bike

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
82 Posts
Yea man, it doesn't look like thats a 4k motor to me if I'm honest, alternator cover was clearly replaced, the engine itself doesn't look bad from the outside, but for reference my bike was outside october-february of northern british weather, 5/7 days of rain, snow, and lots of grit on the roads, I try to clean my bike pretty often but I'm pretty lazy with it, and who wants to be cleaning a bike in the winter outside in the freezing cold? lol as I said, as long as there is no issues, keep it, everything else looks pretty good to me, just check the bike over thoroughly for anything that might cause an issue, forks, frame, swingarm, etc. As for your original issue, once you got the water pump sorted if your issue is gone then cool, if you don't mind me asking, how much was the bike? If the issue is something more serious, since it's an auction bike, you might be better off getting a good condition used motor for like 800 bucks and still come out pretty good, as long as you're under 3 grand that's a hell of a deal in my opinion.
The rest of the bike looks really clean though, like the water overflow tank is nearly see through and very clean, maybe the bike itself really only has 4.7k miles but they swapped in an older engine due to crash damage? It can be either way lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts