Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I recently got the new 2013 ZX6R 636 which is fantastic and still have my previous model 2010 ZX6R which is a track bike.

I have been on my own mission to discover what parts would be compatible so I thought I’d be helpful and post my findings on parts compatibility with the older ZX6R parts fitting the new 2013 ZX6R 636 as no forums seem to have any info and neither do a lot of manufactures web sites.

So far I have fitted the following parts to my 2013 ZX6R 636 which were specifically for the previous model 2009 – 2012 ZX6R:

Puig hugger
Gilles VCR Rearsets
Stomp grips
ASV Levers
Kawasaki rear pillion seat cover (I wanted the older metallic black for my green and black bike rather than the green one which is the only available colour on Europe models)
Leo Vince Evo 2 road legal slip-on exhaust
Leo Vince decat pipe
GB Racing Engine covers – full kit
Swing arm carbon covers
R&G offset bobbins
R&G Tail tidy
Evotech exhaust hanger and blanking plate
Servo buddy
Ivans block off plates
BMC Air Filter

I think most of the R&G kit is compatible with both versions apart from the rad cover but don’t quote me on this as I have most of their parts fitted but ordered specific 2013 636 parts
Unfortunately the Power Commander V isn’t compatible so I needed to sell my old one and get another
Also the optional Ohlins Steering damper kit is now available for the 2013 636 though it retails at £700!!! It comes with all brackets to fit but is still NOT the proper Ohlins race item and STILL needs to be re-valved like the watered down “Ohlins” that came standard on the previous model (and ZX10R) – I wish it was standard fitment on the new bike (or that the older model "Ohlins" damper fitted it - its doesn't have the bracket on the yolk) as I would have just got it re-valved for a fraction of the price!

So it looks like there is a high probability that most of the previous model's after market parts fit the new bike which is especially usefully if you are swopping out :)

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
nice write up...know of any other options for the fender eliminator besides R&G and yoshimura? I just purchased a 2013 zx6r and it doesn't look like there are many options out there yet. What online stores should I look at?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya,

I know Evotech make one as well.

Added that the servo buddy for the 2009 onwards also fits the new bike.

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
nearly everything is compatible, suspension kits from the 09-12 should fit too (with exception of the forks) the t/c system uses two wheel speed sensors instead of the sensor by the sprocket, but both are still at a 51mm tube & the shock/swingarm/subframe is the same

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nearly everything is compatible, suspension kits from the 09-12 should fit too (with exception of the forks) the t/c system uses two wheel speed sensors instead of the sensor by the sprocket, but both are still at a 51mm tube & the shock/swingarm/subframe is the same
That's one of the reasons I got the new version so when the time comes I can just swap over parts from my old ZX6R to the new bike and also pinch any if needed.

I'm hoping the Ohlins TTX shock and 30mm cartridge kit should just swap over to the new bike!

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
The shock should have no prob swapping over. The cartridges I'm not sure on. We'll have to see what ohlins part # is.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's one of the reasons I got the new version so when the time comes I can just swap over parts from my old ZX6R to the new bike and also pinch any if needed.

I'm hoping the Ohlins TTX shock and 30mm cartridge kit should just swap over to the new bike!
Just swap the entire forks. They are both 51mm so they should fit in the triples. I am not sure if the fork legs for the calipers are the same though since they went to 310mm rotors. Worst case scenario you order some caliper spacers from yoyodyne.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
Can't do that. Not only the spacing which is easily fixed but the tc system uses wheel speed sensors. Now if the fork leg is swappable then it shouldn't be hard.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The older 05-12 rear wheels will fit, but the traction control ring must be modified where it mounts to the wheel at the axle. You can also use older rotors, but I just flipped them around as the new rear rotors are not recessed where the rotor bolts are on earlier models. This allows for a flush fit of the traction control ring...just watch your clearance to the rear caliper.

If you have older (03-04) aftermarket shock, it will fit as long as you change the lower linkage over as well. The geometry is the same, just the mounting at the lower shock is wider on the 13' compared to the 03-04. The other 2 mounting points are identical. This saved me a bunch of cash.

09-12 seat, subframe pieces, battery, and exhaust servo valve are identical. The battery tray is different on the 13, but if you prefer the 2012 tail (at least on a race bike) then you have to use the 09-12 battery tray.

I used the 09-12 lower tank fairings on the race bike so I didn't mess up the nice painted ones that are larger from the 13. You will just need to remove the dbl sided velco from the frame sides.

Tank is the same too

·
Registered
44 Posts
how much is everybody paying OTD on these? I'm going shopping this weekend for one

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've got to 3 dealerships thus far and the lowest I've been able to get out of them is $10,200 OTD but I might have a line on a dealership farther away for a fair amount less. We're playing voicemail tag though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How did you get the ASV levers to fit? i have a set that fits a 2012 model and the brake lever is loose in the 636 and activate the brake light switch because they wobble

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
My ASV levers went on perfectly. I did notice that after many years and many models using the same 10mm rear stand spools they decided to change that. I think they switched to 8mm. can anyone confirm the size? I also bought new Pit Bull front and rear stands. They also changed the front pin size. It's now huge! They had to order it. It'll be here in a few days.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ended up getting it for $9600 OTD down in Richmond VA

·
Registered
25 Posts
I will be test fitting a Vance and Hines Urban Brawler on my 2013 ZX6R next week, i'm assuming fitment will be fine, but cosmetically, the heat shield might not match up 100% which is fine because I like to keep busy and design new stuff for my truck and bike :D .

1 - 20 of 73 Posts