Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

Hope someone could throw in a good piece of advice and help me out fix the problem that I have. In a nutshell, my 2014 Kawi Er-6n sometimes misfires , actually cuts out for a second completely when I roll on the throttle. It usually happens at lower speeds, lower revs, and when it's hot. In one instance it happened at high revs.

If this happens while I rev match, downshifting from 3 to 2 let's say, sometimes it won't accept the blip. I actually hear a puffing sound for a sec as if though I didn't blip at all. If it happens when I just roll on in 2 gear at low revs, it cuts out completely for second and I feel the surge.

Again. This is mostly at lower revs and the problem comes and goes, it's not always there. So what I do, just ride in higher revs but sooner or later I am in slower traffic and the problems reappears. All suggestions are very much appreciated. I plan to go to the track this year and would love to have a peace of mind coz one time only, it happened at higher revs in 3rd gear, it cut out while rolling on and that surge was violent.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Hi and welcome :)

Is your bike stock, no aftermarket exhausts etc?

Are you sure about the quality of fuel? Do you alternate between gas stations?

Did you replace the sparkplugs according to the manual's specification?

What you describe could also be clogged fuel injectors, for starters I'd use something like this:

...and see if works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and welcome :)

Is your bike stock, no aftermarket exhausts etc?

Are you sure about the quality of fuel? Do you alternate between gas stations?

Did you replace the sparkplugs according to the manual's specification?

What you describe could also be clogged fuel injectors, for starters I'd use something like this:

...and see if works.
Hello GR Rider Sir, I appreciate you replying :) Thank You!!!!

I didn't go with a longer description, I tried to keep my first post as short as possible.
I did put a Yoshimura slip on (changed the header pipe too, took one from Ninja 2012) cause 2014 ER-6n would require a full exhaust system. However my problem had existed when the bike had the stock exhaust on, so I don't think that is the problem.

Thanks, I will go with a fuel injector system cleaner, although it's not going to be Wurth because here in Canada you can only buy it in bulk if you run a mechanic shop etc. I use high octane fuel but I do alternate between stations. I'll stick to one from now on as the problem is sometimes non existent for days and than it comes back again on a given day. It's weird.

However, I am leaning towards an electrical problem so I did change the spark plugs first, a year and a half ago, but did not go further from there, electrical wise. I could change the coils too, but that is why I'm here, trying not to do one by one thing, not really sure what the problem is, spending money while not solving the problem.

A little history. This bike was owned by a girl and was barely ridden I would say. She bought it in 2015 and I bought it from her in 2018 with barely 4000km on it, it was collecting dust I remember when I picked it up as she had a Triumph Boneville parked right next to it, that looked nice and clean. I had no reason to doubt basically a brand new bike, owned by a girl with big chicken strips on the tires, no signs of being dropped, that started okay. True, it was warmed up by her boyfriend before I got there which I didn't like, but I was like okay. It;s a new bike no problem. Even If I need a new battery, fine, a 100$ not a big deal.

At first the bike was okay, had a little trouble starting it sometimes but I only thought it needed a new battery since the bike was stationary with the previous owner and not much ridden in 3, almost 4 years obviously. After a while, the battery settled, I was able to start the bike no problem but then I experienced a total cut out. I was cruising in 4th gear and the bike cut out completely cruising in 4th gear so I pulled the clutch in and stopped the bike, After that it started normally and I continued. I remember once I started her up and heard a bad explosion while idling but it didn't sound like a back fire. It sounded like some strong electrical bang more than anything. Than the whole bike settled but the problem that I described in my original post still comes and goes. I add gas and it cuts out for a second, or I blip while rev match and I hear a puff, no rev when I blip. So the engine cuts off for a second basically.

And it comes and goes, comes and goes, never really make me trust the bike.

Again, I appreciate you replying GR Rider, thank you

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
You are very welcome, as you wisely wrote above start from the simple things and if the problem persists, examine deeper.

Stick with one gas station for a while in order to eliminate one possible factor and use a fuel system cleaner. Be careful with the mixing instructions as most of them are intended to be used in car gas tanks.

You can also try removing the pair valve in order to reduce loud bangs and improve air circulation, it's cheap and easy and worked for many riders in this forum:

What you described is quite familiar albeit less pronounced to me. In certain conditions of high humidity and temperature or riding in heavy traffic the oem ecu snaps and goes into ultra lean mode. The bike becomes rougher and less responsive and the revs must be matched 100% spot on for a blip to feel right. When this happens I find it better to ride one gear up and use the torque with small throttle openings instead of revving the engine high. Try pulling over and switching off the engine for a couple of minutes. If the engine feels normal after the restart, then it is most likely not a fault but a built in oem ecu setting that can be ironed out with the use of a power commander and standard or custom made map.

This may sound crazy but the motorcycle companies in all their beautiful presentations have their bikes ecu optimally tuned so as the engine works as best as it possible can without leaning the mixture for economy reasons. During the presentations the bikes are always ridden hard so no safe conclusions about fuel consumption can be drawn anyway and, technically, it's not cheating as the engine can operate optimally in certain real world conditions too. Same goes for test and loaner bikes too...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are very welcome, as you wisely wrote above start from the simple things and if the problem persists, examine deeper.

Stick with one gas station for a while in order to eliminate one possible factor and use a fuel system cleaner. Be careful with the mixing instructions as most of them are intended to be used in car gas tanks.

You can also try removing the pair valve in order to reduce loud bangs and improve air circulation, it's cheap and easy and worked for many riders in this forum:

What you described is quite familiar albeit less pronounced to me. In certain conditions of high humidity and temperature or riding in heavy traffic the oem ecu snaps and goes into ultra lean mode. The bike becomes rougher and less responsive and the revs must be matched 100% spot on for a blip to feel right. When this happens I find it better to ride one gear up and use the torque with small throttle openings instead of revving the engine high. Try pulling over and switching off the engine for a couple of minutes. If the engine feels normal after the restart, then it is most likely not a fault but a built in oem ecu setting that can be ironed out with the use of a power commander and standard or custom made map.

This may sound crazy but the motorcycle companies in all their beautiful presentations have their bikes ecu optimally tuned so as the engine works as best as it possible can without leaning the mixture for economy reasons. During the presentations the bikes are always ridden hard so no safe conclusions about fuel consumption can be drawn anyway and, technically, it's not cheating as the engine can operate optimally in certain real world conditions too. Same goes for test and loaner bikes too...
Thank You GR rider Sir, I appreciate your input a lot. Will keep this thread alive as needed.Thank You

1 - 5 of 5 Posts