Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to use a 2014 650r ninja motor in a 1991 kx 125 frame. This is a custom hill climber and I would like to switch it carb for simplicity. If not i have a whole wrecked bike as a motor donor has anyone tried to move this system to a different machine?

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
148 Posts
I am trying to use a 2014 650r ninja motor in a 1991 kx 125 frame. This is a custom hill climber and I would like to switch it carb for simplicity. If not i have a whole wrecked bike as a motor donor has anyone tried to move this system to a different machine?
Too much electronics in the engine for fuelling and ignition. You could probably make it work, but I think the crank gives an electronic signal for spark to the ECU and not directly to the coils so you'd need something to figure that out, and then getting fuelling right would be a big challenge, i think just hook up the EFI system, maybe it's not "simpler" in construction but simpler to operate as you have to do nothing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too much electronics in the engine for fuelling and ignition. You could probably make it work, but I think the crank gives an electronic signal for spark to the ECU and not directly to the coils so you'd need something to figure that out, and then getting fuelling right would be a big challenge, i think just hook up the EFI system, maybe it's not "simpler" in construction but simpler to operate as you have to do nothing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes its very possible.
Flywheel/ alternator of a carb engine bike this is where the pulse for the spark is generated.
you need the pickup to go with it and the brain for a split spark system which most all japanese 4 pot engines are.

now you just have to figure which bits you need to fit your bike ER5 could be a good source for the right parts to convert as its basically has all the electrics and alternator to do the conversion even the carbs will fit just need re jetting but thats a topic for another thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts