Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
My 2015 650ABS is exhibiting a strange behavior and I wanted to see if anyone else has come across this.
Just for some quick context, this is my daily commuter and has 72k+ miles. This new behavior only started showing up the last 3-4 days I've been riding.

The behavior: the ABS light goes off just like normal as I begin to ride, after starting the bike. However, after approximately 10 minutes of riding (regardless of speed or distance) the ABS light begins flashing about once every two seconds, and continues flashing until I turn off the bike.
The other day I started to leave for work, but only made in a few blocks before I had to swing back by home for something. In the brief time I was out, the ABS light started with the above behavior (I had only been on surface streets at low speed 25-40mph). When I stopped at home, I turned off the bike. Again, when I started it a couple of minutes later, the ABS light turned off just like it usually would when I took off, but right about the time I was getting on the freeway the blinking started again (roughly 10 minutes of riding).

Since the check engine light did not come on, I'm assuming there is no code for me to check? Is there something specific to the ABS system I need to check/clear?
The bike itself is not running or performing any differently when the ABS light is blinking. I cannot figure out what is triggering this behavior.
I have not attempted to intentionally trigger the ABS system by doing a (controlled) hard stop, and it has been a very long time since I was in a situation that the ABS actually kicked in. I'm just trying to figure out if it's something I need to go to the shop to have addressed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So a little bit more info. This morning I checked, just to make sure, there was no engine error code; there wasn't. (The CEL was not on)
I also visually checked the ABS sensors on the front and rear wheel after someone suggested it. Everything looked perfectly fine.
The interesting thing was something I saw tonight on the way home. When I pulled in to the parking lot, I noticed my headlight flicker when I increased the throttle. It was very intermittent, as in it would only flicker a couple of times and not constantly, but if I gave it some throttle it would happen again after a few seconds.
I just went and did a quick battery voltage test.
Battery with bike off: 12.2V
Battery with bike running at idle: 13.6V
Battery with bike at 5k RPM: 13.8V
I'm not 100% sure if the reading is accurate from my dinky little DMM, so I will try the test again tomorrow morning with a different DMM.
Based on my research into checking the charging system, it could point to issue with the rectifier (the regulator seems to be "regulating" I guess). However, I can't tell if the stator is starting to flake. This bike had the stator replace approximately 6 months ago (roughly 12k miles).

Thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
64 Posts
Hi, I had a little look around and flashing ABS light seems to mean a mismatch in wheel speeds. Out of curiosity you didn't change rim size or have a worn front and new rear tyre right? Your battery numbers are perfectly fine, a little low with the bike off but still normal. Apart from this the only thing i can think of is some loose connections. I wouldn't think there is an issue with your charging system. How bad is the flickering? It could be a matter of just the engine having a little shake causing the lights to appear to be flickering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tires are practically brand new (only about 2k miles on them), just installed in Feb, same size I've been using for the past 5 years.
Yes, the battery at rest seems to be okay (a little low), but while the bike is running it does not seem to be charging much. Over the past few days, the battery is getting weaker to crank the starter every morning, so I'm going to take it by the shop and have them do all the diagnostics on the electrical system (stator- which was replaced approx 8 months ago, R/R- which they said was working fine when stator replaced, Batt- was replaced when stator replaced).
As for the flickering behavior, the lights actually do flicker off and on intermittently depending on how long I've been riding the bike. Its not just a perceived thing, I saw the headlight reflection multiple times, and my wife confirmed yesterday when I followed her out for an errand. My commute is 45 minutes and by the time I arrive at work, the lights are definitely flickering. So far I have not had the battery actually die on me, but it's starting to feel unreliable. Hence the trip to the shop (tomorrow, Sat).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts