Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2017 Ninja 650 which sadly, back at the end of last summer, fell subject to criminal damage. The guy was caught on camera but police didn't turn anything up. Anyway the situation is as follows:

• A screwdriver was forced into the ignition barrel
  • I have the key to the motorcycle. I can just about get the steering lock off but only when the key is inserted one way and not the other.
  • The key still works on the locks for both fuel cap and seat lock
  • The piece of trim surrounding the ignition barrel was snapped off but I've done my best to glue it back together as it was a clean break. This one bit of plastic isn't too expensive to replace so not much of an issue and rest of bike is unscathed.
So essentially my question is what are the options to get my bike back on the road? I've thought of the below but appreciate all opinions/advice:
  • Full lock set - replace ignition barrel, fuel cap lock and seat lock. Expensive! I believe some security bolts would need to be drilled out as well. Are there also aftermarket options worth looking at?
  • Replace ignition barrel only... but i'd either need 2 keys or I've seen it's possible to replace fuel cap with an aftermarket one that's turn to unlock (don't really see a need to keep a few litres of petrol under lock and key!). Are there ways to convert the seat lock to be keyless as well? This could be a nice option to reduce cost.
  • Locksmith - might one be able to 'pick' or repair the ignition barrel in some way
  • Replace ignition barrel with identically keyed one - i called Kawasaki to see if this is possible since I have both the key and the 'key code' in my owners manual. They said the code can be used to order replacement keys but not ignition barrels.
I'm based in southwest London and would really appreciate any help

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hmm, that's unfortunate.I'd call a locksmith and they should be able to give you some advice about this. But, one option is to leave the seat and the gas tank keys alone and just replace the ignition key as you've stated, but have the locksmith cut you a key that will operate both sets of locks. Super convenient, but I'm not sure what the price would be.

You could also replace the fuel tank cap with one that doesn't lock and weld/glue a broken off key into the passenger seat. Just put something over the top to turn the key into a sort of knob. Less than ideal, but it would probably work.

It's a recent model, so finding somebody that's parting one out is probably not viable. And I'm seeing no options for non-OEM gear like for some other models.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Does anybody know what’s that plastic part around the ignition barrel called? Magycks mentioned that it would be easy and cheap to replace it.

The piece of trim surrounding the ignition barrel was snapped off but I've done my best to glue it back together as it was a clean break. This one bit of plastic isn't too expensive to replace so not much of an issue and rest of bike is unscathed.
I couldn’t even find the part on the Internet. Kawasaki doesn’t offer it separately, only as part of a new ignition barrel. Anybody knows where to find that part and what it’s called?
Thank you in advance!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts