Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently have purchased a ninja 650 rather confused and frustrated on this. The 400 can have a slip on but the 650 cannot ( to my knowledge). If I am wrong on this would someone please let me know, also if I go full system. Will I need a power commander V and tune? My first sports bike since FJ1100 so I'm behind on knowledge on this. I appreciate any help thanks all.

Ps. I'm just looking for a better sound not more power.

·
Registered
1992 ZX7J & 2017 z650
96 Posts
I think slip-ons are not available because of the way the stock exhaust is designed. It's been a while since I swapped mine out on the z650, but I think the cat and muffler were one piece welded to the exhaust pipe. Could be wrong there so have a look to be sure.

I think it's a good idea to get a fuel controller of some sort if you get an aftermarket exhaust to prevent a lean condition. Emissions laws has a lot of bikes coming out the factory lean or close to it.

I appreciate simplicity though, so for the z650 I actually went a different route and just got a booster plug:BoosterPlug - Tuning your Motorcycle Fuel Injection

It tricks your temp sensor into thinking it's colder outside than it really is, which causes more gas to be delivered. No tuning, maps, etc... just plug-and-play.

That said, I haven't run the bike with an AFR gauge or gotten it dyno'ed or anything, but my butt dyno is happy and throttle input feels good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think slip-ons are not available because of the way the stock exhaust is designed. It's been a while since I swapped mine out on the z650, but I think the cat and muffler were one piece welded to the exhaust pipe. Could be wrong there so have a look to be sure.

I think it's a good idea to get a fuel controller of some sort if you get an aftermarket exhaust to prevent a lean condition. Emissions laws has a lot of bikes coming out the factory lean or close to it.

I appreciate simplicity though, so for the z650 I actually went a different route and just got a booster plug:BoosterPlug - Tuning your Motorcycle Fuel Injection

It tricks your temp sensor into thinking it's colder outside than it really is, which causes more gas to be delivered. No tuning, maps, etc... just plug-and-play.

That said, I haven't run the bike with an AFR gauge or gotten it dyno'ed or anything, but my butt dyno is happy and throttle input feels good.
Thanks, I will look into it I don't know if the back pressure with the leaner running bikes would cause an issue going from carbs to fuel injector. Lots to learn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bought the same bike and dealing with the same issue I’ll let you know if I find anything else on this man
Thanks I found a place that will do an ECU flash and tune they just need to know what mods have been put on. I think I'm going to go that route seems much better of an option than.the power commander piggy back.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
442 Posts
I recently have purchased a ninja 650 rather confused and frustrated on this. The 400 can have a slip on but the 650 cannot ( to my knowledge). If I am wrong on this would someone please let me know, also if I go full system. Will I need a power commander V and tune? My first sports bike since FJ1100 so I'm behind on knowledge on this. I appreciate any help thanks all.

Ps. I'm just looking for a better sound not more power.
If all you're looking for is sound just stick to a cheap quality full system like Black widow, it's like 400 bucks for the whole thing, good quality, good sound, will run okay without a tune.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts