Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding and modifying older bikes for the last 6 years I finally bought my first new bike. Went from a heavily modified 2006 Suzuki GS 500 to my 2022 Z650. This is such a nice bike for the price. Everything I love about motorcycles and nothing extra. Also FUEL INJECTION!!!

Had her 2 weeks now just went past 700 miles. My only complaint is the jerky throttle response when just cracking the throttle and the low rpm lugging. Bike lugs below 4 k rpm was hoping fuel injection would allow for better low rpm control. Hoping I don’t have an issue already! So much bike for the money very impressed with my first Kawasaki!

·
Registered
1992 ZX7J & 2017 z650
155 Posts
👋🙋‍♂️

Nice, I have a Z650 too, great all around bike. The low speed jerky throttle is normal. Typical options are ecu flash or piggyback ecu (power commander etc). BoosterPlug makes a product too. Some people like the Throttle Tamer.

I use a BoosterPlug and a 3/4 throttle, down one tooth in the front. Works for me, but still doesn't liked to be lugged, you have to keep the rpms up a bit. Haven't tried anything with the ecu myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thats awesome man! I just picked up my new Z650 the other day. I'm still in the break in period, and it lugs a lot. A lot of that may be due to me being a newer rider. I am a bit scared of going over 4k rpms accidently as im not sure how necessary the break in is to a new motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats awesome man! I just picked up my new Z650 the other day. I'm still in the break in period, and it lugs a lot. A lot of that may be due to me being a newer rider. I am a bit scared of going over 4k rpms accidently as im not sure how necessary the break in is to a new motor.
The rpm limit is primarily for legality so if people were abusing new motors they would be warrantying them way too much. The motor is built to such tight tolerances the reason we are gentle on them for a bit is because they can run a hotter and there is very mild tempering of the motor metals as the aluminum and alloys get real hot and cold for a couple hundred miles. Going past a certain rpm doesn’t do anything as the motor is designed to be run between 3k-9k, just don’t redline it every where, prolonged high rpm’s and heat are what are bad for a fresh motor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The rpm limit is primarily for legality so if people were abusing new motors they would be warrantying them way too much. The motor is built to such tight tolerances the reason we are gentle on them for a bit is because they can run a hotter and there is very mild tempering of the motor metals as the aluminum and alloys get real hot and cold for a couple hundred miles. Going past a certain rpm doesn’t do anything as the motor is designed to be run between 3k-9k, just don’t redline it every where, prolonged high rpm’s and heat are what are bad for a fresh motor.
Thx man! i feel a bit better about getting around with it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's tight tolerance engine so it's pretty bulletproof. The odd blip over 4k won't hurt it and is less damaging than lugging.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts