Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shop that I have my 9R worked on at says I need a 24000 mile service. In this service they change my plugs, change oil (which was done 1k miles ago), clean the air filter, check valve clearance and flush coolant.

Oh yeah and they want to charge me $520 plus parts.... so around $600!!!

Do you think this is necessary? Or should I just clean my filter and change the plugs myself?

Let me know what yall think..... Thanks

·
Registered
367 Posts
that sounds like a crazy price

i wouldnt touch the oil if its only 1k old (unless its more than 12 months old?)

if you can do plugs yourself, go for it... air filter is easy to clean, and may as well remove the mesh from it while your at it (few free HP right there) ... fresh coolant is easy too, just pull off the lowest hose you can find to drain the old, flush it a little if you like then put some fresh coolant and distilled water in (dont use tap water).... use a 50/50 ratio, and the system holds about 2.8L ....which is uhmmm, about 3/4 of a gallon?

if the valves have never been checked then now might be the time to do it, if your not confident then best to pay the mechanic (but shouldnt cost too much!) ... i think they are supposed to be checked every 12k miles, but apparently rarely need anything changed even after 24k+ with no adjustments

·
Registered
170 Posts
i think they are supposed to be checked every 12k miles, but apparently rarely need anything changed even after 24k+ with no adjustments
How do you figure that the valves rarely need any adjusting even by 24K?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah... I think I am just going to change the plugs, air filter and coolant. There is no reason to pay someone to do all the easy stuff

The bike runs strong and I cant hear any valve lash so I dunno if it is worth it to pay someone to check that?

·
Registered
367 Posts
ive seen a few people on here mention that their valves didnt need any adjusting... and mine didnt... that doesnt really cover every 9R out there tho

i still think us$520+parts is insane... $520 just for labour, in a job that might take the mechanic like 3 hours absolute max???

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
With 22k miles on my '02, I've had the valves checked twice (at 500 and at 12k) and they were in spec both times. This seems to be very common with the 9's, but as they say, "your mileage may vary". A FULL tuneup (like the 24k) should go around $300-350 at the dealer.
You're getting hosed; ask for an itemized breakdown of parts & labor before you let them touch it. It's no more than a 3 hour job... Here's the scheduled maint as listed in the service manual... As you can see, the 24k is a "big" one, only exceeded by the 12k service. But still... no more than 3 hours for a skilled tech.

Anyone have other opinions on the time? I'm pretty sure I'm close, but if not, sing out....

·
Registered
170 Posts
There is a chance by 12K there might be some barely in tolerance. If you don't beat on the motor and rev the piss out of them all the time, your valves take a little while to take an initial seat. Generally for most people, by 12K there is 2-4 shims that'll need to be swapped. By 24K there will be more due to shrinking valve clearances.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I am going to have a 15k mile tune up done on my bike. I have 13100 miles on it now.

It will cost 260 plus tax, and includes oil change and filter, clean air filter, adjust carbs, change plugs, check all bolts and cables, adjust chain and I think that is it.

I bought the bike used and never had the service manual so I figured this wouldu be a good check up for it at 15k. My mechanic says that I never need to bother to have the valves adjusted on this bike? There is a slight ticking, he said was the cam tensioner, and he said we wouuld be able to hear it and the bike would start running rough if it needed a valve adjustment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.