Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a used Ninja 250r for sale up on Craigs that I really want to go look at but my friend says that I should get a 500 instead because the 250 would be too small for me. I take my training and road test next month and after I pass I want to start riding my bike so this is why I'm searching for a bike now.

I never road a motorcycle before. Should I just go with the 250r or get the 500 like my friend suggests and work with that?

I don't know if size matters but I am 5'8 w/o my shoes and I weight about 170lbs.

·
Registered
421 Posts
There is a used Ninja 250r for sale up on Craigs that I really want to go look at but my friend says that I should get a 500 instead because the 250 would be too small for me. I take my training and road test next month and after I pass I want to start riding my bike so this is why I'm searching for a bike now.

I never road a motorcycle before. Should I just go with the 250r or get the 500 like my friend suggests and work with that?

I don't know if size matters but I am 5'8 w/o my shoes and I weight about 170lbs.
Depends on what you want out of the bike. A friend of mine who doesn't ride tried to talk me into getting a 250. Another friend of mine who did ride said no way (I'm 6'1" 190lb.) I got a 650R instead and I'm happy with it. If you plan to do a lot of highway riding keep in mind the 250 will have a harder time getting you up to speed, especially if you want to pass other cars. Although the 500 has more power I think it depends on how responsibly you ride more than anything. Go sit on a couple bikes at a dealership and see what you think. Make sure your feet can touch the ground flat though. I haven't been riding nearly as long as some of the other people on here, but thats my opinion. I'm sure there are other threads that address this subject in more detail.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Either will be just fine.

The 250R is a good bike, and if you grow "tired" of it, then you can easily resell it. The 500, although more power, is still a decent n00b bike.

If you do a lot of freeway riding (65mph+) then get the 500. Otherwise, get whichever you like better.

Oh, and I am 6'0" and 200lbs. I had no issue getting my old 250r up to speed.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
considering the price of 250 (not 2008 models) it's probably a better buy in value than the 500.
either one is fine to start with, perfect choices.
resale will be faster on the 250 though, you'll take less depreciation if any.
good thing about the 500 is you won't outgrow it so fast, it all depends what your goals are, some people could ride a 250 all their life, others use it just as a learning tool, etc. etc.

either way, they both perfect beginner bikes, smart move

1 - 5 of 5 Posts