Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to start out by saying i'm a "pre-noob." I dont have my license and i've only ridden a few times (parking lot), a Ninja 600. I dont have any experience and i've decided that now is the time to learn. So I got my heart set on a Ninja 250R, any color, just something i can learn on that doesn't have too much power.

Long story short, I will find out this week if I can get an '08 for around $3200 before taxes. My questions are as follows

1) Is this the right bike for me? I'm 6'1", 24 yearls old and about 160 lbs wet.
2) What should I expect to pay for insurance?
3) What gear is a "must have" for safety?
4) Tell me anything and everything you know about the 250...yes, I mean everything

Thank you for your help...FYI, I am planning on getting my temps and then taking the riders safety course.

·
Registered
647 Posts
1) maybe
2) not to much but not a little
3) HELMET!!
4) Search function is your new friend.

·
Registered
78 Posts
1. i kno people ur height and taller with 250's and they say it's fine
2. i'm 24 and just got my license recently, i pay about 680 from progressive with full coverage
3. helmet, jacket, gloves, and good boots r a must, i still need to get some pants, but for now i wear my thickest jeans until i get some
4. this bike is a hot item so get urself a good security system. i got a xena 14mm 7ft chain with their disc lock with built in alarm xn-15 and the xena claw adapter. if i'm somewhere "safe" i just use my disc lock with alarm, it goes off with the slightest movement (a good thing). if i'm in a less safe area, i bring the chain and make sure i lock it up good

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm 6' 1", 165 lbs, and the bike fits me like a glove...

·
Registered
17 Posts
1) I am 6' at 150lbs and no problem here
2) I am 38 and pay 250 year with progressive....take the MSF Course!!!!!!
3) GEAR!!! HELMET, GLOVES, JACKET, BOOTS, PANTS!!!!
4) I agree with KKim..no way you will find a new 08 for 3200. I paid 3499 for mine. The bike handles great and very responsive. We go to Deals Gap in NC and it rides great on the s-curves. But I encourage you to take the MSF Courses from Beginner to Advanced and it will help out greatly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh I've got the connections, I know the owner of a fairly big dealership here, just never had the money until now. But, I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, I see used ones around here in the mid $3k range, so i would consider low 3's a steal. Thanks for the good information, anything else about this bike I should know? It is winter about half of the year around here, what are the oil change incriments? How should I store this, I have a garage, but it's not heated.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Oh I've got the connections, I know the owner of a fairly big dealership here, just never had the money until now. But, I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, I see used ones around here in the mid $3k range, so i would consider low 3's a steal. Thanks for the good information, anything else about this bike I should know? It is winter about half of the year around here, what are the oil change incriments? How should I store this, I have a garage, but it's not heated.
lol.. good for you.. hope you can get the bike for that, but don't be surprised if not.

search the forum for answers to the rest of your questions.... very common questions with not so common results.

gl...
:)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Oh I've got the connections, I know the owner of a fairly big dealership here, just never had the money until now. But, I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, I see used ones around here in the mid $3k range, so i would consider low 3's a steal. Thanks for the good information, anything else about this bike I should know? It is winter about half of the year around here, what are the oil change incriments? How should I store this, I have a garage, but it's not heated.[/quote

When you say you are looking for a 250 in the mid 3k range are you referring to the pre 08's? You should be able to store you bike in your garage with no problem, you will just have to use the choke if you want to ride when its cold.

The oil change increments are listed in the manual. I think the first minimum oil change is at 600 miles during the break in period.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys/girls, thanks for all the feedback, seems like a really nice little community here :).

Got a call today that they cannot find an '08 anywhere, they will get me pricing on an '09. Not too concerned about the price.

For people that live where winter hits pretty hard, how often do you start the bike up to warm it up? What is the exact procedure?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts