Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so first off I own a 2009 Ninja 250r with around 3,500 miles. It has been a perfect bike to learn on except one thing is becoming more and more disturbing. After I hit around 60mph the power seems to hit a wall and exponentially drop off. The power and acceleration up to 60 is everything that I would expect it to be. But after 60-65ish (Any upper gear) the power vanishes. I was able to max it out at 76mph while in a full tuck. I just don't understand.

It seems that when I hit 4th gear it doesnt want to rev all the way either, no matter what I do it wont go up to even 10K. Only gets worse if I shift to 5th or 6th.

At 60mph, three quarter throttle may as well be full because that extra half inch of so does absolutely nothing to the bike.

I know it is only a 250r, but I know that it has to have more to it than this.

The only thing I have done to help diagnose this is that I removed the fuel filter to see if it was blocked, but it was clean as a whistle.

Please help!
thanks,
David

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no problem at all with the idle. I can start it without a problem not even using the choke if I wanted to. I do always use it though just to be thorough on the startup procedure I learned at the MSF course. But everything seems absolutely fine. I've had the bike a little over a month and can remember three times that it gives a backfire as soon as I hit the starter. Dont know if that is related at all, Im just trying to give all the details that I can.

Reading those links I find myself looking at a million possible problems.... given these details is there any place I should maybe start. Like I said, a friend told me to check the fuel filter and I did. Perfectly fine.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is your bike stock? The backfire is considered "normal" with this bike, especially if your running lean from adding an exhaust system. It can also happen if you kill the bike while it's above idle. Happened once to me and scared the crap outta me. BOOM!

Has it always done this? If so how much do you weigh? I'm about 190 and my bike stops pulling around 80, but that's on the speedo so probably more around 75ish.

You don't really have that many miles on it so I don't think it's a valve issue but it might be worth it to take the cover off, check lash and make sure your timing is correct. When I checked my Lash I found my timing was off from the dealer, couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything on the bike is stock. Haven't changed a thing. Good to hear it is considered normal, just figured I would point it out to be thorough.

And I have only owned the bike for about a month and a half and yes, it has always done this. I do mostly city riding (to work and friends houses) so I never open it up all the way. But when I do, it seems obvious that it should have more to give.

I only weigh 155 and it stops pulling around 60-65ish. Just a very slow climb from there.

I'll check on the Lash, not really sure if that will cause what im experiencing though.

Thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like something is choking it out. I'd add the carbs to the list as possible culprits too. Maybe try running some carb cleaner through them. Check your air filter too. It should defiantly keep pulling through all of fifth gear.

·
Powerhungry
38,263 Posts
Everything on the bike is stock. Haven't changed a thing. Good to hear it is considered normal, just figured I would point it out to be thorough.

And I have only owned the bike for about a month and a half and yes, it has always done this. I do mostly city riding (to work and friends houses) so I never open it up all the way. But when I do, it seems obvious that it should have more to give.

I only weigh 155 and it stops pulling around 60-65ish. Just a very slow climb from there.

I'll check on the Lash, not really sure if that will cause what im experiencing though.

Thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated
try running each gear up a littler further.
you wont hurt anything by running up to 12-14k.
so run 3rd higher than you have been.
that bike doesnt make very much power, and what it does have comes in at a high rpm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like something is choking it out. I'd add the carbs to the list as possible culprits too. Maybe try running some carb cleaner through them. Check your air filter too. It should defiantly keep pulling through all of fifth gear.
I will check the air filter today. As for the carbs, would you think running Seafoam or something would work? Or should I suck it up and just take them off for a good clean?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts