Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '07 ninja 250. It ran fine all summer until one night I pulled in my garage and noticed the pipe that connects the radiator and water pump was loose. There was a small amount if coolant leaking out. I pushed the pipe back in. Ever since this happened my bike has been overheating. I made sure the coolant and oil was full. When I take it for a ride, by the end of my street the temp gauge is all the way near the red. My fan doesn't turn on either. I just put a brand new fan and water pump on this past weekend but it still overheats. A guy at a local bike shop said something about a fan switch or sensor. If anybody can help or offer a suggestion it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
557 Posts
Many older Ninja 250's engage the fan just below the red zone, while others have been reported engaging the fan at the mid-way point on the temperature gauge. The most important thing here is that it's entirely normal for your bike's temperature gauge to run all the way up to the bottom of the red zone before the fan comes on. If the fan is not coming on and no coolant is being spewed out and the oil light is not coming on, you're probably not overheating.

If your temp gauge goes from cold to hot (red zone) in less than a half mile from the engine being cold, chances are you have a bad temp sensor or gauge. I would also double check the fan fuse as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tested the thermometer and it was working fine. It opened when I put it in water at 177degrees. The fan doesn't turn on even when the gauge gets to the red.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I tested the thermometer and it was working fine. It opened when I put it in water at 177degrees. The fan doesn't turn on even when the gauge gets to the red.
In all honesty an old temp gauge is not a good indicator of the actual temp in numbers. What you need to do is unplug the fan switch and jump the wires to make sure the fan runs. If it does not, the fan or the fan fuse is bad.

Like I mentioned before, If the fan is not coming on and no coolant is being spewed out of the radiator and the oil light is not coming on, you're probably not overheating and there is no reason for the fan too come on (meaning the thermostat and cooling system is working properly and keeping the engine cool enough to not turn on the fan.)

If you feel that you are overheating, you may want to look at other problems that may cause overheating.

Overheating:

Firing incorrect:
Spark plug dirty, broken, or maladjusted
Spark plug incorrect
IC Igniter trouble

Fuel/air mixture incorrect:
Main jet clogged or wrong size
Fuel level in carburetor float bowl too low
Carburetor holder loose
Air cleaner poorly sealed, or missing
Air cleaner duct poorly sealed
Air cleaner clogged