Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has a 2010 Ninja 250. We've been riding our bikes regularly and one day the bike won't start. Her bike has approx 5k miles.

When I turn the key in the ignition, all lights come on and appear normal.
I turn the red engine cycle switch to run ...then press the little ignition button....NOTHING happens. No sound, no click, no cranking...nothing ...it's like I'm not even pressing the button.

I checked the fuses in the box, all look OK. I checked the 1 fuse connecting to what I believe is the starter motor ...but I've read somewhere that this component has two fuses ...but I'll need to remove the starter to access the other..... is this correct?

I charged the battery to full to rule this out as well.
This bike WILL start if I push start it.

Is the red kill switch bad, or the starter? or both? Where can I order these parts if they are? am I to look at any other components first?

Please help and any would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

-Alex

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
There should be a fuse right on the side of the starter relay. You can fint it by following the hot wire from the starter. I believe its under the left side cover just below the seat IIRC.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Main fuse stops all power. I'd check for damage to the start switch, associated wiring, or connector. Likely something came loose or wore through.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
If it starts when you push start it the kill switch is fine. If it won't crank it could be the neutral start switch or the kick stand switch. I'd start by jumping the wires on the stand switch. I have to ask, are you sure it's not in gear when you hit the starter button? Try pulling in the clutch that will over ride the neutral start switch atleast.. .how that helps.

Habs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for the input. I'll try to look for the starter relay fuse mentioned above when I get home from work.

I'm sure it's not the neutral switch/kickstand as the neutral light is indeed on ...the bike is definitely in neutral, and I do pull in the clutch to try the start.

-Alex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts