Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you getting the wheel up in 2nd, 3rd? Is your bike geared? I have a 2001 and I'm -1 in the front, and i cant get 2nd gear for the life of me. I can ride first gear all day long, but 2nd is a no no. Do you bounce it up, or clutch it.

Lata

·
Registered
248 Posts
I can bounce up 2nd and sometimes 3rd(rarely), but I prefer to clutch it because I feel that it comes up smoother. You can also just start in 1st and shift through the gears. When I clutch it in 3rd I give just a little bounce and a slight fan of the clutch at around 8-9000 and she comes up no problem.:D

------

Rubber side down, One wheel up!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey guys(and girls), I've got my balance point down in third and can go for as long as my arms and such can take it, but I just can't seem to get it in second. The acceleration has slowed down a lot, but I should be able to not accelerate right? I know I'm real high up but according to my friends if I go much higher I'll be doing 12's in 2nd! Could it be because I am standing up? Also sometimes I'll do it on the rear pegs which seems even harder. Thanks in advance for all your help![8D]

------

·
Registered
999 Posts
2nd gear is just harder to do because you have more power so its more touchy in a wheelie. For 2nd gear standups the bike is alot higher than 3rd, I prefer 3rd myself. Have someone take a picture of you in a wheelie I beat your not as high as you think. It also depends on how you stand when you do the wheelie. Do you lean forward, stand straight up, or whats your method? I lean stand straight up arms almost fully extended, if I lean forward alot I end up speeding up.

------

2002 954RR
2001 ZX6R (stunt bike)

http://home.sc.rr.com/minytrker/bike.htm

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks, I know my arms are definately not fully extended. I will try that and see how that works. Also when doing it in 3rd sometimes the wheel will start turning side to side, where at that point I get a little nervous and put her down but will a stabilizer cure that problem? Thanks for all the help!!

------

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm sorry I should have been more specific, the wheel turning is more like a tankslapper and usually scares the sh** out of me cause I know I'm doing about 100mph.

------

·
Registered
999 Posts
When you come down? I have only had two or three tankslappers on my 6r, one was when my rear set broke off doing a 110mph standup, the other was when I hit a rut in the road and came down with the wheel turned almost all the way to the side. Now I quit counting on how many tankslappers I have had on r6's. BUt no matter what bike I do wheelies on I give the bike gas as Im coming down to make the the landing soft as possible.

------

2002 954RR
2001 ZX6R (stunt bike)

http://home.sc.rr.com/minytrker/bike.htm

·
Registered
248 Posts
No, it usually does it while the front wheel is up. I get nervous and put it down right away, cause I worry that it will only get worse the longer I stay up when this happens. I'm thinking that a stabilizer will cure the problem and I will be able to just go until I get tired(hopefully).

------

·
Registered
768 Posts
A steering stablizier won't do much for you. Most of them work on progessive scale. So the harder it shakes the more it works, but I know exactly what you're talking about.

The bars quiver back and forth about an inch much like an exGF in the corner of the room after you get done throttling her with her own purse (alright, so she hit me with the purse).

I know how to fix it too. You need to get your steering head bearings tightened.

------

Darkdan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.
http://danellyn.thedarktruth.com/theory.swf

·
Registered
248 Posts
Do you mean torquing down the steering stem nut, or taking it apart and putting it back together again? I tried just changing my body positioning like minytrker said and now I can get the balance point in 2nd:D!! In 2nd I don't really have this problem so I think that I will just do them for a while and try the 3rd gears another time(maybe it won't do it anymore(doubt it). Now I just have to go out and practice keeping it in that balance point in 2nd(it's pretty high up) without scaring myself, lol. Thanks for all your help though guys!!! Oh also my friend has a 636 and can just bounce it up in 2nd or 3rd, where I can only bounce it up in 2nd and need to clutch it up in 3rd. Would this be because I have dialed in my suspension for the curves, cause I noticed when I did it was a little harder to bouncee it up in 2nd but the bike handles amazing.(I am down one tooth in the front but my friends bike is all stock) Sorry for such a long post, and thanks again for all the help:):)

------

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
wheelie wobbles? i use to get them on my r6 but have not had one on the zx6r yet. alittle one but i just keept going it stopped wobbling

·
Registered
248 Posts
Got it!!!! Hit the balance point perfectly in 2nd last night, it's just too bad I ran out of road. Thanks for all the help guys!!:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.