Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres some backround on my bike.. 2000 zx6r muzzy slip on. k&n jet kit and thats all the mods needed to know for my question.. Oh and im down 1 tooth in the front up 2 in the back.

I can get it up just fine in 1st on throttle but I want to be able to clutch them in 2nd.. i have been unsuccessful so far. If you can do it- is it possible to do it sitting down? if not, please explain your method..

thanks!,
Matt

·
Registered
999 Posts
A bone stock 6r can be clutched up in 2nd sitting down or a bone stock 6r can be pulled up in a stand up in 3rd @100mph. It just takes time and practice.

2001 ZX-6R

·
Registered
999 Posts
It will depend on your how your clutch is on your bike. On my first clutch I would takoff pretty quick and go into second and at full throttle in 2nd gear @5000-6000rpms (around 35-40mph) pull in the clutch and let it out quickly. Now on my 2nd clutch I can clutch it up at higher rpms about up to 9000rpm. Just try it in 2nd at 4000rpm first and work your way up tp see where your bike comes up best. I have a video from off my gas tank of me clutching up my bike, I'll try to put it on my webpage today and get you the link.

2001 ZX-6R

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dude, I'd LOVE to see that.. I need some inspiration for my 2nd gear wheelies (im assuming your video is in 2nd?) :)

-matt

·
Registered
10 Posts
A 6r (2000) will clutch up from 35 to 65 mph in 2nd gear easily. Before or after those speeds it strains the engine too much...either the revs are too low or too high. Don't worry about trying to bounce the bike or jerk on the clip-ons, it will come up without all that. Once you are comfortable with pulling 2nd gear wheelies then you can try the stand up third gear wheelies that the other guy was talking about (starting around 65-70 mph range).

The most important advice I can give you is that you should learn at your own pace.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was trying for the longest time for a 2nd gear wheelie. One day I realized, when you are standing over your bike, only use your index finger to pull the clutch, onlt a half inch or so, this allows you to use almost your full left hand to pull up when you let the clutch slip. It works all the time. I started at 5000 RPM going 30MPH and Have gotten it down to 3000RPMS. Just recently I was in a 12 o'clock. I had if for a few feet, let go and leaned unto the throttle too much. Lets just say I'm fixing the bike now. And my Joe Rocket jacket worked like a charm. Any questions feel free to e-mail me directly @ [email protected]. Good luck and take your time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know what you did to your bike but i have a 2002 6r and i can't do a 2nd or 3rd gear wheelie unless I stand on the back pegs. A bone stock 6r will not do a 2nd or 3rd gear wheelie and the only way i will believe it is to see it with my own eyes. The bike just is two front heavy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
2nd gear wheelies are possible. I'm not good at them but I can get it up without much work.. I just give it gas and twitch the clutch. If it isn't coming up chances are you are either letting up on the throttle of you stop accelerating it.. you have to just have a balls out attitude.. give it a good twist, twitch the clutch and keep twisting. It's safer to do it in second then in first. I know in first with mine it's actually hard to keep the font down.

·
Registered
101 Posts
ok i'm a new rider and i don't know how to clutch it. From what i gather it sounds like while staying on the throttle in 2nd gear around 40 mph i should pull the clutch in about a half way and release it. Is this right? And if so how long should i hold it in for?

·
Registered
112 Posts
quote:
Stock 6R will pull up no clutch standing bounce no prob. It's all about the technique and practice. My bike's not stock but how about a 3rd gear highchair on the freeway. http://www.btbriders.com/movies/highchair.wmv
What ever dude. I pull second and third gear whoolies all day long. Clutching, bouncing, what ever I feel like. I can do a whole slew of tricks on my gas tank in first. So front heavy.. PPFFFTTTT!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
quote:
I don't know what you did to your bike but i have a 2002 6r and i can't do a 2nd or 3rd gear wheelie unless I stand on the back pegs. A bone stock 6r will not do a 2nd or 3rd gear wheelie and the only way i will believe it is to see it with my own eyes. The bike just is two front heavy.
Sorry meant to quote this guy!!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Actually, the bike ISN'T front heavy though... it's more upright than harder-core sportbikes (pre-03-ninja I'm talkin' here...) with a more conservative rake/trail setup and a good proportion of weight to the rear!!!

With the NEW bike ('03) the engineers really put a lot of work into making the bike more front-weighted... lower clip-ons, longer swingarm, trying to gear more to the front in the weight bias... which of course keeps the front end more planted under acceleration and in cornering...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I haven't gotten the clutching thing down yet either. But I can do 2nd gear standups without using the clutch. Anybody else notice that when you take off there is a little lag until you reach about 4000 rpm and then it seems to really kick in? I noticed it does it in first and second. Well, what I do is get into second at kinda low rpm take it up to almost 4000, bounce once giving it a little gas, then I bounce again a little harder, pull up and roll on the throttle. It comes up at about 4500 to 5000 rpm. I have held them for a little bit but I need to work on keeping them up.

Loose is fast and on the edge you're out of control.

·
Registered
112 Posts
quote:
I haven't gotten the clutching thing down yet either. But I can do 2nd gear standups without using the clutch. Anybody else notice that when you take off there is a little lag until you reach about 4000 rpm and then it seems to really kick in? I noticed it does it in first and second. Well, what I do is get into second at kinda low rpm take it up to almost 4000, bounce once giving it a little gas, then I bounce again a little harder, pull up and roll on the throttle. It comes up at about 4500 to 5000 rpm. I have held them for a little bit but I need to work on keeping them up.

Loose is fast and on the edge you're out of control.
You've got it....That's how I learned...I started out with first gear power whoolies, then bouncing up second gear stand-ups, clutching second gear sit downs, clutching second gear stand-ups along with clutching first gear slow stand-ups(around 5 or 10 mph), clutching first gear on the tank, bouncing third gear stand-ups. It all comes with time and practice. Just remember to cover the rear brake!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.