Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can power up no prob in first, but then i try in second and it just seems like it doesn't want to. any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I prefer clutching it up myself - do as follows:

step 1 - pull in clutch
step 2 - grap some throttle
step 3 - let go of clutch
step 4 - HOLD ON!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'll give an easier method and causes less damage to transmition, in 2nd gear
1)Give it 100% gas from about 4-5K rpm - WOT
2)Bump the clutch just enough to break drive while still on the gas don't let off the gas till the front comes up then modulate u'r RPM's
3)Front wheel in the air!!
The height is determined by how long u hold the clutch in so staart with a little

Good luck

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'll give an easier method and causes less damage to transmition, in 2nd gear
1)Give it 100% gas from about 4-5K rpm - WOT
2)Bump the clutch just enough to break drive while still on the gas don't let off the gas till the front comes up then modulate u'r RPM's
3)Front wheel in the air!!
The height is determined by how long u hold the clutch in so staart with a little

Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try this shift into second at like 25 or 30mph and then accel and then stand up (you will find it weird feeling at first but after a while it will feel comfertable) keep on the gas and when u get to 45 or 50 bounce it by letting off the gas and getting it back on it while pulling up on the bike and pushing down with your feet. Sounds hard but play with it for a while. After that use the passenger pegs for even more fun!!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by spikezx6r

Try this shift into second at like 25 or 30mph and then accel and then stand up (you will find it weird feeling at first but after a while it will feel comfertable) keep on the gas and when u get to 45 or 50 bounce it by letting off the gas and getting it back on it while pulling up on the bike and pushing down with your feet. Sounds hard but play with it for a while. After that use the passenger pegs for even more fun!!

That's how I do mine too! Haven't tried it on the passenger pegs yet, since I don't really have the second gear wheelies down yet. Need to get comfy with the balance point. Is it easier on the passenger pegs? I bet it's freaky as hell.

·
Registered
36 Posts
no need for a clutch, the preload of bouncing it is enough? i have the same prob, 1st gear is simple by jogging the throttle, 2nd just doesnt wanna go. Im weary of using the clutch to pull it, seems too unpredictable. I'll give your way a shot....:D

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i don't like clutchin' it either. i'll end up tryin' both ways though thanx guys.

strong bad on step 2 where are your rpm's at?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I can't tell you what the revs are, but it's definately past 9k.

In regards to the transmission damage et al - you own a racebike with headlights attached to it! I'm positive a full day at the track is much harder on every component on the bike (except maybe turn signals) than twenty or thirty wheelies in the same amount of time - so don't worry about it. You shouldn't have to worry about any of this stuff so long as you keep up to date on routine maintenence!

Our bikes are built to be beat on, I mean, it's not a massed produced heap of shit like something "The Big Three" would put together, I'd be scared to buy a superbike made in that manner! But I digress, ham it up!

·
Registered
14 Posts
yeah the cluth is the shit but i had to learn to power it up and then balence, then throttle, and then clutch. I want to clutch it up at like 2mph and ride some slow shit with no brake but thats far away.

·
Registered
68 Posts
In second I get the revs to 8k, blip the clutch and wack on the throttle, hit the balance point and its all throttle from there to hold it up there. Im -1 in the front and +2 in the back, Im working on 2nd gear wheelies with all throttle, any suggestions for that???

·
Registered
201 Posts
When I first got my bike (6-24-03)I was content with just driving around getting looks. Now I find myself turning into a wheelie lunatic!! Everytime I ride I'm out I'm doing them. I'm wondering if I'm really hurting my bike??? My ride today I have to say was my best wheelie day!! In 1st I'm using the throttle and riding them till I hit (feels like I hit) the rev. limiter!! I'm simply out of rpms!!! As for 2nd gear..I find it impossible to get it to come up. Bouncing seems to be impossible!! I have tried using the cluch and I had to admit that scares the shite out of me!! My azz is really puckered up when I try it!! Basically, I'm scared and I'll admit it!! I really would like to do 2nd gear now cuz I'm getting pretty bored with the 1st gear ones..How do I get of this fear???

Is all this really bad for the bike?? I know there race bikes etc. but I don't wanna be kicking the shit out of it! I would like to get some $$ back out of it if I sell it!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by SnakeCharmer

When I first got my bike (6-24-03)I was content with just driving around getting looks. Now I find myself turning into a wheelie lunatic!! Everytime I ride I'm out I'm doing them. I'm wondering if I'm really hurting my bike??? My ride today I have to say was my best wheelie day!! In 1st I'm using the throttle and riding them till I hit (feels like I hit) the rev. limiter!! I'm simply out of rpms!!! As for 2nd gear..I find it impossible to get it to come up. Bouncing seems to be impossible!! I have tried using the cluch and I had to admit that scares the shite out of me!! My azz is really puckered up when I try it!! Basically, I'm scared and I'll admit it!! I really would like to do 2nd gear now cuz I'm getting pretty bored with the 1st gear ones..How do I get of this fear???

Is all this really bad for the bike?? I know there race bikes etc. but I don't wanna be kicking the shit out of it! I would like to get some $$ back out of it if I sell it!

You sound exactly like me about two months ago, and guess what? I can do stanup 2nd gear wheelies now and I have stock gearing. Here's how I figured them out. First, I tried standing on the pegs and just trying to power it up, no go. Then I tried bouncing it while standing on the pegs, and still couldn't do it. I was convinced that my bike sucked, and it wasn't my fault. It was my fault. One day, I was riding one of my favorite backroads, which has several long straightaways, and I decided to try again, except this time, I stood on the pegs and bent my knees so that I wasn't standing directly over the handlebars. I bounced it in second using just the throttle, and in three bounces, it came up and scared the shit outta me. Ever since, I've been trying to perfect it. Be very careful when bouncing it though. If you pull up on the handlebars, they will shake and get worse when you land. Let the bike do the work.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
My favorite way is to get it up in first ride it to about 12 or 13,000 rpms then real quick hit second ride it the same as first then hit third and ride it out. If done right on the right road(flat, straight and no cars)you can through out almost a mile long wheelie! Just get it up in first hit the balance point where you can almost let off the throttle, hit second then just ride it![:p]

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's really easy if your on an '03 just get going about 55-60 (even slower when you get the hang of it) then stand up lean back a little then give about 1/2 throttle. It'll come right up and once you find your balance point and get good with it you can ride it as far as you want. When on the highway just getting going with the traffic and try to keep it at one speed. It's hard at first but you'll get it after awhile

·
Registered
63 Posts
A big thanks to all you guys for the tips. I've just started trying wheelies on my bike (last one I did was a couple of years ago on one of my ex's bikes) and of course my technique sucks now...plus I took for granted that the ex had a steering damper....scared the crap out of me when the steering warbled huge. [:M24]
I'm a bit nervous trying standup wheelies, at 5'11 I'm all legs so when I do stand up on the bike its quite the sight. Just gotta make the time to practice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yo CLUTCH THAT SHIT! at about 40 pull in the clutch and tach it up to about 9-10k rpms then dump the clutch and hold the throttle down after letting the clutch out, your wheel will come straight up and then ride that shit out!

·
Registered
20 Posts
the way i clutch is. on 2nd give it gas about 4000rpm press clutch up to about 9000rpm let go and gun the gas. keep it up and play with the gas. I weight about 235 lb thats the only way i can get it up on second. plus wear your riding gear ok later

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
2nd Gear Standups are all in the bounce. I thought I could never do it but practice makes perfect. I go 80KM/h and then do the whole bounce technique. There should be no use for a clutch if you want to do standups (they're more fun when you start doing them). It's all in the bounce, never the bike. Always the rider, just practice bouncing at first and like a prev. post mentioned. Don't pull up or you'll turn the bars, just let the bike come up.

I've also noticed that a lot of the bike coming up has to do with how you pull your ass back. It actually helps me. I get my license back Saturday. It's been a month, hope I still know how (or hope I'm not scared again). It's good to be scared, I used to pull 11's and think I had more room until my friends told me nada.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I just read on one of the 900rr forums that your suspension settings can really affect things. For example, the guy I bought mine from had the suspension set really hard, b/c he was a heavy guy. Since he at probably a hundred pounds on me, it's too stiff at his settings for me to be able to bounce it properly. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.