Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda long but we need your prayers...

Yesterday myself and about 23 other riders went out to hit a few back roads and the pace was awsome....3 groups fast, Med and, slow. We were about 100 miles or so into the ride and we had 3 riders go down....in the middle of some mountain.

It happened like this...My buddy Brian rides a 06 Zx10R and he is one of those....sloppy fast riders. He was complaining about his tires and suspension all day, so I tell him to just take it easy and don't push it too hard trying to play catch up...We get about half way up this mountain and and the turnes are getting tighter and tighter, and there is Brian pushing too hard. I let off a little and let this German guy on a brand new GSXR1000 pass me so I could get a little more space between me and the other rider with out me having too worry about breaking too hard or whatever in case some one went down.

I approach a pretty tight right hander and get on the gas for about a 1/4 mile straight...when the German guy in front of me start to locks up his brakes at the end of the straight and heads off onto the shoulder heading into about a 120* left hander...I swerver outta his way and that when I see Brian had crashed and was laying in the woods...something was telling me it was not over jsut yet....I look in my right mirror to see of ther guy on the GSXR was ok and is soon as I saw him...the guy that was trailing me...plowed into him.

I immediatly pulled over to give help. Walked over to the 1st guy to check him out he was ok just a sore shoulder and ribs. Went over to the 2nd guy on the GSXR and by the time I got too him he was pulling his tore up bike out of a ditch. So he was ok. The 3rd guy was a differant story.

He flew over the handle bars and landed head first into the side of the mountain and was laying on his back. We stabalized him and kept him immobile as best as we could. He couldn't feel his legs, very shallow breathing and was telling he couldn't breath and his chest hurt really bad. Once the ambulance arrived they took over. Once they stabilized him they rushed him to the nearest hospital and he was then flown to the nearest trama center.

The latest news I have on him is that he has a puncherd lung, severe spinial damage, multiple fractured ribs and a fractured pelvic bone. He is now in a medically induced coma for the next 5 days and is listed in critical condition.

Like I said in the begining...please keep him and his Family in your thoughts and prayers.

His name is Sgt Ronnie Sills, US Army,Father of 3 children and Operation Iraqi Freedom Vet.

My buddy brian...the 1st guy to go down is ok for having 2 broken ribs. He was released from the hospital today.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
sorry to hear that. i hate to hear anything bad that happens to riders. just makes it worse, to hear that they are a vet, and have kids.

best wishes

·
Registered
283 Posts
Damn... sorry to hear bout that... stay up , and everyone remember to ride safe and within your limits, and the roads!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Best wishes, all i can say is he will be in everyones thoughts. [:M38]

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
You have my sympathy bro.[V]

I hope your friend pulls through.

·
Premium Member
5,831 Posts
Wow man. That's horrible. I'm glad the others were alright, considering what happened. I wish the best for your other friend. Keep us posted. We'll be wishing him a speedy and full recovery.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
keep us posted on his condition. He's def. in my thoughts and prayers.

Its always worse when you know they have kids.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
from one sevice member to another, you have my prayers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks fellas...As of right now he is in the same condition. He is being moved to the main US hosital in Germany, after that he will more then likely be moved back to the states.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fellow riders, but that right there is the reason why I have a couple really strict rules about group rides that I get involved with.

First off, BEFORE the ride starts, ALL the bikes get a good check up. If the bike doesn't pass inspection, you go home. Bald tires? Bye-bye. Worn brake pads, of strange feeling lever? Bye bye. Tires low on air? Go fill 'em up. Low on oil? Go top it off.

The moment ANYONE starts complaining about their bike not feeling right, the ride STOPS, and we inspect the bike. Could be a tire starting to go flat. Could be a part broke. Better off spending some time figuring it out, instead of risking a crash. If the bike's not repairable, someone calls for a pick up, if the guy can't ride it home safely.

And gear, god.
If you don't have full gear, you ain't going riding with us.
Ask Cyberdos about that one.
That rule went into effect after a ride went bad that we were on together.

I still haven't decided whether or not to just ban brand new bikes, since the owner hasn't gotten used to it yet. Maybe set a 2k miles experience minimum.

Yeah, I know it sounds kind of cold hearted, but I'd rather have a ride where I know the people and the bikes are reasonably "safe" going into it. I don't want to have to worry about the newbie on the ZX6R who only has 179 miles on both his bike, and under his belt.

BC.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash, I hope for a quick and complete recovery.

And reading BC's post should help remind us all of the level we should be at.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
+1000. Next tiem we will do just that.

Update...

Ronnie is gonna be transported to Walter Reed this Friday. From the sound of thing he is out of the coma and understands what us going on around him. He is getting some feeeling back into his legs, so that is a great sign. Once the swelling goes down around his spine that Doc's will be able to get a better picture of what is going on. Thanks again for all of the prayers.

On a nother note...never knew this guy until the day he crashed...kinda strange how things work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.