Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so i bought my sweet new 06 blue zx-6r this past March and have about 650 miles on it. Well, today my step-dad sent me a link to a horrific website about bike deaths. It was abs disgusting, pics n all. Supposedly we are 32x more likely to die on a bike than in a car. As a result, I am scared to pull my bike back out of my garage. Does anyone have a good method to overcome this fear - besides "not being a puss." Thanks.
-Tim

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well death is inevitable, we all are going to experience it some day. I would rather die riding or having sex than in a diaper in a nursing home.

Take a track day and brush up on your skills and ride defensive on the streets. Motorcycling on the streets can kill you anytime, no matter how good or experienced you are, but lightning kills golfers every year too. I ride ortega, hit me up if you would like to go for a spin sometime.

·
Registered
336 Posts
was it me or did anyone else see that it was mostly cuisers and gixxers? i saw a few hondas and i think one or two kawis, but was it just me who noticed this? and i looked at the list of bikers that were killed today and most of them were like 30-65 year old men. i find this ironic cuz the insurance people seem to give older people better rates and charge younger persons out the ass. i mean come on think about it.

i think the worst pic was the one with the pole in his, ahem, rear section. that had to hurt!

·
Registered
336 Posts
you aint lieing. i kinda pisses me off that some people say that it is only sport bikes that get into that kinda trouble and i go and see that there is all of those cruisers.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
This should be shown to everybody right after they receive their class M at the DMV. The squids would see that they aren't really indestructable. Very good sight to wake people up about the dangers out there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't think it was all squids...The info said one of the larger factors was older individuals getting into riding...those newbies are ususally buying cruisers...one of the incidents was a pedestrian getting hit...

however getting back to squids..I am wondering if the girl in blue panties was the one on a video i have of a squidlet pulling a wheelie and the girl passenger comes flying off and lands front first....she is wearing helmet, t-shirt, jeans...no gloves and I could not tell if she was wearing shower thongs or not...

just get on your bike and ride defensively.....be aware and be confident...thats how you get over it....think of this site as for info purposes only.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Very good site...it reminds you of the danger's and the smallest things you take for granted. In my town, the heat index is up to 108F,so I don't wear in leather. After being reminded of the scraps, I will wear the leather or not drive at all.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I just ordered 6 shirts for me, my wife, and a couple fellow rider friends. Also ordered 3 of the bumper stickers too. Nice organization there, hope people start paying some attention to riders.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Go ride man, gear up, ride like they are blind or out to get you, at intersections try not to be first in line and pick a side of the lane so your not right in the middle. Ride responsibly and you won't get a fence post up your a$$ (that pic was insane).

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I think the longer you ride without incident the more chance you have of becoming complacent, and that is when you can get into trouble. You start letting your guard down, and bam..you are a hood ornament.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
that is the kind of stuff, that scares the hell out of me and keeps me from doing stupid stuff. the guys leg ripped off. the guy that was in pieces.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Originally posted by hokie636
This should be shown to everybody right after they receive their class M at the DMV. The squids would see that they aren't really indestructable. Very good sight to wake people up about the dangers out there.
I think it should be shown to all who receive a license to operate ANY sort of motor vehicle. As noted on the site numerous times, and you, a fellow rider, hopefully already know, most of the time, there is more than just a motorcycle involved. A lot of those times, it isn't the motorcyclist's fault.

Please ride safe. Always wear helmet, jacket, & gloves...minimum. Sweat is easier to wipe off than roadrash.

--David

·
Registered
702 Posts
That's all I needed to see to justify getting those A* Track Pants I've had my eye on lately. 105 degrees here tomorrow with leather head to toe. Gonna be GREAT!!![8D]

·
Registered
264 Posts
After viewing the entire page i'm kinda confused. Motorcycles, statistically, are much safer then cars. Here are the US government statistics: http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm

1 in 288 people die in their lifetime in a car accident.
1 in 1,159 people die in their lifetime in a motorcycle accident.

I wish I rode my bike more over my car, it would increase my chances of living!

I hate sites like this which try to sway people's opinions. How many sites are out there that show pictures of car accidents and bodies in pieces? Way more people die each year in cars accidents then bikes accidents.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by ddan24
After viewing the entire page i'm kinda confused. Motorcycles, statistically, are much safer then cars. Here are the US government statistics: http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm

1 in 288 people die in their lifetime in a car accident.
1 in 1,159 people die in their lifetime in a motorcycle accident.

I wish I rode my bike more over my car, it would increase my chances of living!

I hate sites like this which try to sway people's opinions. How many sites are out there that show pictures of car accidents and bodies in pieces? Way more people die each year in cars accidents then bikes accidents.
That stat is misleading because fewer people ride bikes than drive cars.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.