Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was parked in the Handicap zone, but NOT ACTUALLY in the parking spot itself, I was in the blue lined part, when I came out of the mall there was a ticket on my bike! DAMN! They said I could contest it, I have always parked in those blue lines and neve ever got a ticket for it, as a matter of fact, there were two other bikes with no tickets on them parked in the same blue lines across from me. I can contest it, but need some advice what to tell the people who make the decisions. Help me out! Please!!!!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hire a lawyer. That's the space a handicap van needs for their automated ramps. Why don't you just park on the sidewalk up by the mall? If you fight it alone, you will most probably lose. I was on a similar jury. Is it a silly ticket? "Everyone does it". Yes to all of the above, but a law is a law...Let us know the outcome.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Yep. Looks like you're screwed. If you get a lawyer you'll probably have to pay the $$$ on fees.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune but I don't understand why you couldn't park somewhere else. As Mred said, those spaces are there for a reason.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
tell him your mentaly handicaped jk. and it your right to park there. I park in the fire zone some times while wating for girl friend from work. the mall cop walks over and said you can't park her it a fire zone. I said to him with a stright face I'm a fire fighter and I aloud to park here. no being a dick or any thing. he thought about it and said have a nice day. it was funny to me because he bought the line. but and way try to fight it. how you history on tickets???

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
There is a slim chance that you can get out of the ticket if the handicaped parking space is improperly marked. The particular California statute will define how it must be marked to constitute a "real" handicaped parking space. You need to do some research. If it doesn't meet the requirements all you need to do is go to court with a photo of the spot.

·
Registered
180 Posts
you parked illegally in a spot that isn't a parking spot? (same would apply for parking on a side walk, though the owner of the property actually has to press the charge for the ticket)

I'm not sure which part I don't get. A) its not a parking spot. B) you were parked illegally

Not trying to be a dick, but like someone else said. the laws the law.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Originally posted by swjohnsey
There is a slim chance that you can get out of the ticket if the handicaped parking space is improperly marked. The particular California statute will define how it must be marked to constitute a "real" handicaped parking space. You need to do some research. If it doesn't meet the requirements all you need to do is go to court with a photo of the spot.
I got out of a ticket that way. The area was marked improperly. It wasn't a handicapped space but you can use the same principle. It's worth a try. Good luck!

·
Registered
105 Posts
The only striped lines I park on in parking lots are the white ones on the ends where they don't want cars parking or driving over. Hopefully the cop won't even show up to the hearing.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I thought a ticket for handicap parking is $75 bucks? $355, what is that all about?

Also, have more respect for those that are actually handicap, will ya?

I can see parking on the sidewalk, or parking in a white striped area, but don't park in a handicap spot or any blue marked area's adjacent to the handicap spot.

-Flash

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Originally posted by Flash Ahhh
I thought a ticket for handicap parking is $75 bucks? $355, what is that all about?

Also, have more respect for those that are actually handicap, will ya?

I can see parking on the sidewalk, or parking in a white striped area, but don't park in a handicap spot or any blue marked area's adjacent to the handicap spot.

-Flash
my feeling percisely.

·
Registered
164 Posts
that sucks. i would find the ticket writer and woop his ass.for writing a dumb ass ticket like that. its a bike not a car and your not in the way.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
It sucks but you really should not be parking in that area anyway.
I will park on the sidewalk or in the yellow/white striped areas at the end of rows, no one has ever given me trouble with that.

One parking guy at the mall asked me why I always do that, I said the mall does not provide spots for motorcycles, so I make my own. (I explained I dont want to use a cars spot because people tend to not see them and drive into the bikes)

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Originally posted by speedvlaze
I don't think whooping his ass would be the most cost-effective solution.;)
Right. Then you would have a ticket for parking an a ticket for agravated assault.[:M120] way to go.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Originally posted by fithy
that sucks. i would find the ticket writer and woop his ass.for writing a dumb ass ticket like that. its a bike not a car and your not in the way.

Uh.....hello....McFly, is anyone in there? So if a handicapped van pulls into the parking spot, opens the side doors and lowers the fold down ramp on you bike, it's their fault? Wake up bro. and yes it would be in the way...Or maybe the blue lines were painted there as test stripes? That's it!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Now if you had a handicapped family member who couldn't park in that spot b/c of you would you then change your habits???

my guess is yes....

a good friend of mine has MS....and it's very difficult for him to walk.....I wouldn't even think of coming near that handicapped spot b/c I couldn't even imagine how hard it is for him to walk the distance that most of us take for granted....

not to be a dick....but suck it up and walk if there is no other place to park

as for the ticket...take it to court and plea with the prosecutor before court begins....best bet

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Sabbadoo10 hit the nail on the head. You don't realize what you take for granted until it happens to you or someone you know...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.