Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to Thunder Hill to get my NRS license to race in the AFM series next year.

The track day was going great. I had no problem passing the tests. My lap times were just above 2 minutes on a stock zx6r. Everything was going well.

Then at the last session I went to brake on the back straight and my front brake lines broke. I later found out they had been rubbing on my rotors. I was going 130mph with no front brakes into a sharp right hand corner.

I rode the rear brake for all it was worth to slow me down and make the crash less fatal. I finally lost control and high sided just before the dirt. Tumbled through a 50ft run off area and slammed into a tire wall. My bike then hit me and the tire wall. I was knocked out of breath, but was able to walk away. I went down at around 60-70mph. The bike is pretty bad but it can be fixed.

Here are some pics of the day.

after the wreck

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Well shit, you don't get your license if you crash. If you were doing two minutes at Thill, congrats, that is very very quick, particularly for someone who has never raced.

You're supposed to aim for the two foot wide hole in the wall there LOL.....Glad you are ok, what a nightmare. That's is a terrible place to lose the brakes, and the shunt wall there makes it worse. You were incredibly lucky. ( I just got taken out Sunday at T1 at Sears Point in the first practice session. Someone tried to pass me on the inside of T1 and straightened it up right into me at 105 mph or so. I walked away, the bike is pretty bad.)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Ernie
Well shit, you don't get your license if you crash. If you were doing two minutes at Thill, congrats, that is very very quick, particularly for someone who has never raced.

You're supposed to aim for the two foot wide hole in the wall there LOL.....Glad you are ok, what a nightmare. That's is a terrible place to lose the brakes, and the shunt wall there makes it worse. You were incredibly lucky. ( I just got taken out Sunday at T1 at Sears Point in the first practice session. Someone tried to pass me on the inside of T1 and straightened it up right into me at 105 mph or so. I walked away, the bike is pretty bad.)
That sucks, at least my wreck was in the last session. I got a while day of riding in before I went down. I am glad I didn't hit anyone while i was out of control though. And I plan to just retake the NRS license in the spring, that isn't a big deal to me. The fact that I didn't break anything is a bigger deal to me.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm not sure if your brake line was facing the correct direction before the crash but, in the picture it's rolled forward..it should be coiled back toward the radiator. The way it's facing now..I can see how the rotor took it out.

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
Wow man. That sounds horrible. I'm glad it didn't turn out worse. You were looking good. This was only your THIRD track day, ever?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by senfo
Wow man. That sounds horrible. I'm glad it didn't turn out worse. You were looking good. This was only your THIRD track day, ever?
Yes 3rd track day. The first two were at the same track at a kewgins 2 day beginner race school. I am picking it up pretty quick. I would like to keep the momentum moving but it will take me till next spring to get the bike back together. :(

·
Registered
916 Posts
Stay with it, and glad to hear that your okay man!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Sorry to hear that man, definitely not the surprise you're looking for going down that back straight, but better than jumpin off of T5!! Bike doesn't look too bad and glad to hear you're alright cuz that truly is the important part, plus you needed race plastics anyway. ;)

To birdturd636, the body doesn't heal for free if you can't work! (I would know)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
i know what santa is leaving in your stocking this year....
seriously though, glad your ok. get back on the horse as fast a possible.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by ginofultano
i know what santa is leaving in your stocking this year....
seriously though, glad your ok. get back on the horse as fast a possible.
Oh I am buying the best brake lines I can find. Ones that are a proper length too. Those Galfers were a bit long. I'm still not sure how i could have routed them better so they wont touch my rotors then the forks are compressed. Maybe I should have used zip ties. ;)

I will be at thunder hill first track day this spring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.