Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to take bike in for a major service

any recomendations as for me to tell my mechanic to specifically change / inspect / tune ?? what area of the engine or parts might need specific looking at?

thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would you also say reaplace fork oil and adjust suspension? do suspension setting getting out of wack the more you ride?

also what was the sprocket recomendation to get more bottom end torque? would you go -1 tooth to back sprocket?

thanks Envy

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would do the fork oil. If the front fork seems a bit soft, I would set up to the next weight oil.

Suspension gets softer over time. You can adjust them on newer bikes.

Check the cam chain tensioner is working (will be easi if part of valve clearance work.)

I would have the carbs synced and cleaned. If you have done pipe/air filetr mods also a good time to look at a jet kit (but may take several tries to get optimal.)

I would go +2 on the rear. Will probably need a longer chain. I keep all mine stock though as I don't want to rev up more on the highway.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by Roo
would you also say reaplace fork oil and adjust suspension? do suspension setting getting out of wack the more you ride?

also what was the sprocket recomendation to get more bottom end torque? would you go -1 tooth to back sprocket?

thanks Envy
for sprockets, I just meant to check them for wear and replace if needed.
The stockers might be showing some wear at 40,000km's.
I'm at 40,000km's too, mine look OK still.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
If you look after them (ie: keep the chain lubed), the sprockets will easily outlast the chain. I did 46,000km on my '95 ZX-6R before I had to replace the chain. I fitted new sprockets at the same time, 'cause that's what you do. New chain and old sprockets = bad.

The service intervals (5,000km) for the '95 ZX-6R had major services every 20,000km. That includes things like changing the fork oil, brake fluids, coolant, checking valve clearances, greasing the suspension linkages, everything really.

With the '96 models they changed the intervals to 6,000km, so I'd guess that your next major service would be due at 48,000km. However, you don't have to wait that long if you don't want to.

Edit: As far as what specific things to get them to check or look at goes, I'd only ask them to check things that I've noticed and am "concerned" about, eg: notchy steering head bearings. If yours are notchy, you could ask them to check the tension, and maybe loosen them a bit, although the only real cure is replacement.

The bike shouldn't be doing anything abnormal, and if it is, you probably already know about it.

Here's a list of things that I noticed on occasion with mine:

Notchy steering head bearings.
Frayed clutch cable.
Kinked/frayed throttle cables.

Actually, that's about it. Not much ever went wrong with mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.