Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting ready to do my 4000 mile maintenance and just wanted to make sure I got everything right. Looking at the service manual it seems that there really isn't much to do for the 4000. Just lube the chain and check the brakes pretty much. As far as oil changes when are you guys changing your oil? The manual says to do it at 600 miles and then not again until 7500 but that seems like a long time to me. Should I change it anyway I'm at 4000 now or just wait til 7500? Also I want to switch to synthetic. Is it ok to change at 4000 miles and is mobil 1 for cars ok for my bike?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,570 Posts

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
I've looked in both my service and owners manuals and can't find any list of scheduled maintenance, e.g. 500 miles, 4000 miles, 14000 miles, etc.

At what intervals are you supposed to service your bike? I follow the manual when it comes to individual things (change the oil, check the brakes every X amount of miles, lube the chain every 300, etc.) but at what intervals should your bike actually be serviced by a dealer?

Or am I the only retard who gets his bike serviced at the dealer [:I]

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by FightingFalcon
I've looked in both my service and owners manuals and can't find any list of scheduled maintenance, e.g. 500 miles, 4000 miles, 14000 miles, etc.

At what intervals are you supposed to service your bike? I follow the manual when it comes to individual things (change the oil, check the brakes every X amount of miles, lube the chain every 300, etc.) but at what intervals should your bike actually be serviced by a dealer?

Or am I the only retard who gets his bike serviced at the dealer [:I]
Its definitely in the service manual and the owners manual. at 600, 400, 7500, 15000 etc are the service intervals. Check the manual again. I'd send you the service manual but its 30 megs. For a lot of the services you can do them easily yourself but if you've never worked on the bike maybe you should take it in to the shop. Alot of times its a ripoff though. For my 600 mile service which is basically an oil change my dealer wanted 300 dollars.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Change oil and filter every 3000 miles, clean and lube the chain every 600 miles. If you want to go full synthetic, once you are past 3000 miles you are good to go, at least that is the general concensus. Otherwise, at 4000 miles, just check everything over, looking for any loose nuts and bolts and check the tightness of hose clamps and such. Check your coolant level too while you are at it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i have just over 4000 miles on my bike now..... i bought it with seven miles on it... since, i have changed the oil 3 times, once at 400 miles, just to drain out the break in oil, then again at 1300 miles.... just cuz i wanted to start beating on it more, and then again at 3100 miles. the last oil change (at 3100) i used Mobil 1 15w50. personally im happy with the mobil one, but i have heard not to use any other weight than 15w50 in bikes, because the 15w50 doesnt have some of the friction modifiers that the other weights have, and i guess the friction modifiers in the other oils can make your clutch slip etc...... as far as scheduled oil changes, no matter what oil you use, i feel, in a bike you should change it about every 2500 miles.... only reason being that an oil change is about 50 bucks, whereas if you gotta buy a new engine you are lookin at quite a bit more than that... better safe than sorry... i'd say but thats just me... everyone has different opinions but thats mine..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.