Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much can I expect to pay for the first service job done at 500 miles and what all will they be doing. I guess it is absolutely necessary to maintain my warranty.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It will not void your warrenty.
Are you sure? I was told that was the only service you had to get done by a friend not a dealership. Anyway I paid about $150 for mine and it was only about $30 in parts. The rest was all labor. Man do I hate how they rip your nuts off with labor charges. :(

2003 Red 636

·
Registered
755 Posts
My warranty is intact and I've done all my service on my '03. First real dealership thing you need done is to get your valves adjusted.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Haha. My buddy has an '02 CBR that he bought from the shop, and they recently charged him close to $200 for his first service: an oil change and filter change, and a CHECK of all other fluids. What a rip off. I told him I'll do it for him from now on for $100 a pop:D
Hey, I gotta make ends meet if I want a new 636, right?:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When are you supposed to get your first valve adjustment done? I just got my 636 last week, so I haven't been able to read the owner's manual thoroughly enough, but it looks like it says that the first valve clearance check should be done at 15000 miles. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
that is bad ! in the UK kawasaki pay for the labour on the first service, so all we have to pay is about £30 for parts...

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
heck for the cost of one valve adjustment you could buy all the tools and do it yourself and know you have done it right....

I heard it's not that hard, just time consumming which is why it's so exepensive at the dealers...

------

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by Tyler Durton

When are you supposed to get your first valve adjustment done?
The 2003 bike takes valve adjustment checks every 15,000 miles, starting at 15,000 miles. The first service is performed at 600 miles, and includes more than just an oil change and chain slack adjustment. Check out your manual for a list of all scheduled maintenance.

You can perform the 600-mile service yourself without voiding your warranty. Simply keep your receipts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Little legal note:
If a dealer tries to insinuate that he must do the first service to keep your warranty intact (this actually happened to me with my old bike) tell him this: Federal law (United States) prohibits this practice unless it is done Free of Charge (parts not included)

·
Registered
999 Posts
Rob Lee.....I know they are supposed to check more than the chain and change the oil but do you really think they will do check anything? They look at it as its a brand new bike, covered ubder warrenty, no need to look over real hard. I got suckered into the first service crap and ended up paying around $200 for an oil change. I know for a fact they didnt check my valves like they said they did.

------
2002 954RR
2001 ZX6R (stunt bike)

http://home.sc.rr.com/minytrker/bike.htm

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well, my dealer wanted $180 + parts to do the first service. And, they were adament about checking the valve clearance. So, I just got my stands in today and the factory service manual is on its way. There is no way I'm paying that much money for them to change my oil and check torque specs on the bolts. And, I've gotten the stands, spools, and manual for about $150 total.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by jmickle11

Well, my dealer wanted $180 + parts to do the first service. And, they were adament about checking the valve clearance. And, I've gotten the stands, spools, and manual for about $150 total.

Yeah I think that is a much better way to go. That way when I need to do this stuff next time I will already have the tools to do it. I checked around at several Kawa dealers in my area and they pretty much all wanted $200 to do the service. I did notice however that there is a spot in the manual that recommends that the initial service be done by a "Competent Mechanic" which obviously means that it doesn't have to be done by the dealer. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
my girlfriend just payed 110 buckes for her 500 mile service....

they said checking the valves at this time is not needed....

valve checking would have added another 100+ bucks....

we are going to try an do all our own work from now on....

------

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Originally posted by Tyler Durton

How much can I expect to pay for the first service job done at 500 miles and what all will they be doing. I guess it is absolutely necessary to maintain my warranty.
A buddy of mine (a newbie like me) got his done at the dealership for around $150. I changed my own oil & filter at 600 miles. Oil at $1 a quart (Mobil 10w40 non-syn) and filter for $6. Do a search on oil (nonsynthetic and synthetic), oil changes, and oil filters. You'll find a lot of helpful into. I did recently find articles that the FRAM oil filters might be a little crappy. I suggest speaking to your dealer; I am. I also clean my chain every weekend.

------

"Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling." -Margaret Lee Runbeck
------------
Red 03 ZX6R

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am changing my oil tonight 06/30/03, I just bought my bike last weekend, and already put 600 plus miles on the baby.

I just don't know about the torque, chain check, etc.

I might send it to the dealer for that.

What do you all think?
[?]

------

DJ Automatic

·
Registered
545 Posts
You guys make me laugh..... I WAS told that if they didn't do the first service it would void my warranty... and they only wanted $400 (valve adjustment included)... needless to say, I did what the book said and haven't been back since [V]

------

·
Registered
537 Posts
Too much BS from dealers. My friend got his ex250 and they told him the same shit. So after reading this board and all this talk about how they can't do that I asked the dealer about it. Guess what, he told me it would "probably" void the warranty. Even talked to service people, they just would not give me a straight answer. BS I say!

·
Mad Hatter
1,318 Posts
i didnt take mine in for service. "they" told me the valves dont need to be checked for like another 10 thousand miles my bike has 2700 miles on it. i had the chain tightend and do the oil changes myself. i spent about 10 bux on chain lube and i paid 19 bux to have the chain tightend (i was afraid i couldnt align it right) plus for 19 bux u cant beat that. then when the guy goes to bring it out he says oh you should really do the first service its very important. so i asked, what do u do? he says "well we adjust the cables, change the oil, chain and tighten all your nuts and bolts" does that sound like $125.00 in labor to you? get a good wrench set. keep the reciepts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.