Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i want to know if i would be able to ride 500 mile on my new 6r if i have never rode that kind of bike before tell me what you think and if you would have tried it when you first got yours and know what you know now cause i read some other post that the bike kills your wtists at first so feel free to say anything just let me know so i dont start out and not be able to make it

thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i am getting the bike tomorrow morning and i have never rode one before and i just want to know if its bad or not

·
Registered
695 Posts
First off ninja 69, use periods...ya know periods like this one: .

Effective communication is the first step in gaining knowledge about what you want to know.

What do you mean you've "never rode that kind of bike before"?

Do you mean you've never rode a 600 or you've never rode a street bike at all or that all you've riden up to this point in your life have been 10 speeds?

I would say, that if you have to ask a bunch of guys you really don't know if you should or should not take a 500 mile trip, I would venture to say you probably shouldn't, at least not until YOU feel like your ready to. When that moment comes, you won't be asking anyone anything because you KNOW you can do it...and only then is it truly safe.

Didn't mean to sound rude, I just didn't really know what you were trying to ask until I read your post like 3 times.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
your crazy. I would NOT suggest taking a 500 mile trip the first week of having the bike.
First off its not good for the bike because you'll still be in break in. Second, your wrists and body wont be able to take that yet. Ride for at least 2 months before taking a 500 mile trip.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
A 500 mile trip is not a big deal. Take your time. You can probably make it in about 8 hours depending on the kind of roads but it is better to stretch it out and take lots of breaks. Start early and take a little nap during the hot part of the day. You will need to stop every couple of hours for fuel so plan your trip around fuel stops.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I wouldn't do it. And I've been riding bikes for 13 years. But then again, maybe that's why I wouldn't do it. ;)

I certainly wouldn't do it on a brand new bike during break in. Bad for the bike and you're asking for trouble. What if the dealer or factory forgot to tighten something and at oh, 300 miles, it came loose?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I rode straight through from New Mexico all the way to Las Vegas NV. I left on a tuesday evening and got here on wednesday morning. The trip took me about 11 hours. I was tired as hell, and I was hurting like you could not imagine. However, there is no way in the world that I would take the bike, especially brand new on that long of a ride. You have to think, that you are not accustomed to the bike yet, and if you run her steady for 500 miles, you aren't going to be shifting all the time like you should. If you are going to do it though, take plenty of time to rest, and every time you stop for gas drink lots of water or juice, and stretch out whether you feel sore or not, you might prevent soreness later. But again, a new bike would not be the best thing to take on a 500 mile ride.

·
Registered
173 Posts
500 miles is a long way to ride, especially if you've never owned a sportbike. You should go ride around where you live for like an hour and a half, and then see how your back, neck, and knees feel. It's definetely gonna take your body a little time to get used to the riding position. You should also make sure your bike's broken in first, like everybody else said. No point fucking up your bike the first week you get it.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
I would not advise it, not only because Im sure you'll be very sore, but its not good for a brand new bike.
During break in, you don't want to be holding a constant RPM a lot, you should be speeding up/slowing down a lot. If this 500 mile trip will be mostly highway, I'd advise you dont do that.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I did 10 hrs on Saturday and I regret about the last 7. If you can hold the tank with your knees for 500 miles like FMAN_DTF says, you should be in the guiness book of records. And it will kill your wrists if you ride for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright thanks guys i wont do it i dont want to mess up my bike. i didnt think about that.i just have to go to cali and i live in oregon so i was going to ride the bike but i will wait for that.i got the bike today and i love it tho it is that funest thing i have ever rode in my life

·
Registered
31 Posts
you can ride 500 miles on a new bike.. just spend the first 20 miles high revving the gears and the bike will be fine. If you have never ridden a bike I would not advise it but if you have ridden before its not a big deal. You will be a little sore and you will initially get $hitty gas mileage but thats no reason not to do it. Everyone has their own opinion on bike break-in and there is a lot of history of breaking it in slowly and hard and all have shown the same results both positive and negative. You'll probable ask if I have done this and yes I have done this twice on my personal bikes and one time for a friend. I have ridden from LA (cali) to the North bay area (Cali) and have no complaints/problems. Took a one-way ticket to LA and rode them back. I’m not a casual rider and will easily put about 1.5k < 2K miles per month when its sunny…. I’ve don’t this on a 2000 6r, 2002 6r and a 2003 6r (636)…

Guess everyone has their own opinion.. If you don’t feel comfortable don’t do it.. If you want to do it.. do it!! Just wear your protective gear.

:)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Originally posted by Marine

First off ninja 69, use periods...ya know periods like this one: .

Effective communication is the first step in gaining knowledge about what you want to know.

[:M99]

The guy just wanted advice, not an English lesson.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.