Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I am riding a 250 ninja, and have about 6000km in one year of owning it (first bike). I was thinking of buying a bigger bike this year cause I have gotten bored of the 250 (scraping the center stand only entertains for so long) and I do a lot of highway riding and it could use some more passing power. I was wondering whether a 500 ninja would be better, or if I should go into the 600 class?

·
Registered
206 Posts
A 500 won't be enough of a difference to be worth it if you truely are bored with the 250.

Buy a bike based on what you need it for. If for you the extra acceleration of a 600 is worth spending a few thousand dollars more(plus more maintenance, fuel, insurance, and repair bills should you break something), then go for it. I'd like to eventually get a sport tourer for the longer rides(and fulfilling my love of acceleration), but the 250 is far too good on short-medium rides and twisty roads for me to get rid of it. I don't mind having a multiple bike garage.

I'm not quite certain how a 600 is going to be more fun for you though. I love acceleration, but it gets old after a few WOT runs to 80. Take the centerstand off, get your body off the bike, and start taking those turns faster.

·
Registered
91 Posts
A 500 will have more power that's a given, I've been on my bike for almost 3 years and it's starting to get old. It might be the same for you, you get it and after another say two years your bored with it also. Does anyone you know ride a 500? If so and their nice enough, see if you could ride for like a day or an hour, just so see if that's really the bike you want.

·
Registered
875 Posts
If you want more speed, the 500 probly won't be a huge difference. Don't get me wrong, it has plenty for any legal street riding and I think its a great bike, but you may be looking for a bigger jump.

An I-4 600 will be a major difference, you could also look at the new 650 if you wanted a more relaxed riding position and not as much power as a 600.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The biggest problem with the 250 is the highway power. I do a lot of riding in the mountains (Rocky Mountains) and when trying to pass a semi, my poor bike just takes forever to gain speed. I have heard that the 500 is faster, but is slightly more vibrational, which I really can't stand. I have ridden a Suzuki GS500, and it seemed to close to my 250 in power, it didn't handle as well and it wasn't team green either. I was thinking about a 500, a ZZR600, or the 650 ninja.

·
Registered
206 Posts
All three of those bikes will give you more passing power. If they are worth the trade-offs(price, handling, etc.) to you, then go for it.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
the 500 does have twice the hp compared to the 250, so it may be better for you if you really like the parallel twin and the overall ergos of the 250. the gs500 doesn't come even close to comparing to the ex: http://www.formatc.org/ex500vsgs500.htm

if you do prefer the parallel motor, see if you can get a test ride on the 650. so far everyone i know that has ridden one has given it glowing approval. you get the nice design and adjustable suspension for not that much more than a 500.

if you really want to haul ass, get on an inline 4. but if you commute alot, you may want to do the zzr600 rather than the full blown sportbike. my boyfriend used to ride a gsxr6 to work every day and he complained alot how poorly it handled at lower speeds and how bad it hurt his back in heavy traffic. he has a ducati monster now and loves commuting again.

ergos are the most important if you use your bike multipurpose, so sit on alot. you will be able to adjust to a different engine if your body is cozy.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Originally posted by marshmallow
the 500 does have twice the hp compared to the 250, so it may be better for you if you really like the parallel twin and the overall ergos of the 250. the gs500 doesn't come even close to comparing to the ex: http://www.formatc.org/ex500vsgs500.htm

if you do prefer the parallel motor, see if you can get a test ride on the 650. so far everyone i know that has ridden one has given it glowing approval. you get the nice design and adjustable suspension for not that much more than a 500.

if you really want to haul ass, get on an inline 4. but if you commute alot, you may want to do the zzr600 rather than the full blown sportbike. my boyfriend used to ride a gsxr6 to work every day and he complained alot how poorly it handled at lower speeds and how bad it hurt his back in heavy traffic. he has a ducati monster now and loves commuting again.

ergos are the most important if you use your bike multipurpose, so sit on alot. you will be able to adjust to a different engine if your body is cozy.
Well said, marshmallow.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Originally posted by marshmallow

i agree with marshmallow... o wait a second... dont i always agree with marshmallow :D haha but ya it depends on your what your purpose is with the bike... if i tried commuting on my R1 everyday i can tell you my back wont last to see the age of 20... on the 250 im sure i can commute and enjoy it. Ive had 2002 zx6r also (a 05-06 zzr600) and the ergos are good for commuting especially if you put a sargent or corbin seat on it. the ninja 650r has a very upright position but can be turned into a pretty sweet race bike so its not lacking any power but then neither is the 250. but then it all depends on your kind of riding... me personally i do everything with my bike its my only means of transportation the r1 is a fun bike pleeenty of power great on the track not so good on commuting but i dont commute so it works for me but if my 250 had a new engine in it right now i think id ride it to school everyday than my r1 i dont need to be a poser at school [xx(]haha

·
Registered
442 Posts
zzr600 or yamaha r6s...r6s has EFI and is faster and way better suspension, its a 04-05 r6 while the zzr600 is a 01-02. both are sweet bikes

·
Registered
119 Posts
An ex-500 goes 0-60 in 4 seconds & is very controllable.
That's Corvette speeds.
The insurance is cheaper, part are cheaper, mods are available...

The 600 racer bikes will do 0-60 in under 3 seconds.
That's Formula 1-like speed.

For the street, how much speed do you need?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm with MrSciTrek.
And I defy anyone who says there isn't much difference between the 250 and the 500. The 500 has lots more passing power than the 250, but its fuel economy is nearly as good. (I can almost get worse than 50mpg if I ride the living pi$$ out of it.)
My 500R regularly humiliates ricers, Corvettes, Harley big-twins and BMW 7-series at stoplights and I've also passed R1's, Ducatis, GSXR1K's, and plenty of 600's on twisty roads like Palomar Mountain with my 500.
I've also got an '02 ZX9R that will do an honest 90mph in first gear, but I still love riding the 500R. The 600 supersports and literbikes have plenty of poser-value, but no one needs 100+ hp on public roads to have a lot of fun.
Take a 500 for a test-ride. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
-Chris in Carlsbad, CA

·
Registered
522 Posts
ive never ridden a 250, so i cant comment on how buzzy the 500 is compared to it. i will say that the 500 DOES have some vibes going on, but 99% of that is solved by a pair of gel/foam grips and some nice weighted bar ends. also, not sure how slow the 250 accelerates but youll have ZERO problem passing a semi. ive been doing about 60 behind one, cracked it open about 80% throttle and saw 90mph as i flew by. sure, compared to a SS bike it may not have quite the acceleration..but you wont find the 500 lacking in any necessary git-up-and-go.

at first i was just gonna learn on the 500 and trade up to a 600SS. now ive decided to keep my ex and just flat out buy a bigger bike. ive heard story after story about people going up to bigger bikes, missing their old ex, and buying one to tool around on.

and yes, the seating position on the 500 will be more comfortable than any SS bike youll sit on. its agressive enough to look the part, but upright enough to keep you pretty comfortable

·
Registered
875 Posts
Originally posted by ex_dsmr

at first i was just gonna learn on the 500 and trade up to a 600SS. now ive decided to keep my ex and just flat out buy a bigger bike. ive heard story after story about people going up to bigger bikes, missing their old ex, and buying one to tool around on.

and yes, the seating position on the 500 will be more comfortable than any SS bike youll sit on. its agressive enough to look the part, but upright enough to keep you pretty comfortable

I agree. I don't think my 500 will be sold anytime soon either. It may even become a track bike in the future when I get something else. When I was at the bike show this year, I realized how much more comfortable the 500 is than a lot of the other bikes out there.

At the same time, its a bit more forward than a lot of the naked bikes too, which I like better. A lot of naked bikes feel too upright to me. It also has more than enough power for any speed limit you'll find in this country.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've ridden the Ninja250, Ninja500 and Ninja650. My recommendation is for the EX500. (Enough power, good ergos, low price & insurance costs) Go out and find a good used one for about $3000. You won't be disappointed, unless you intend to go to "bike night" tompress the other riders. In the twisties, the EX500 will keep up with anyone. (based on your skill level not engine size) Also note that I do not have a need for 100+ MPH performance on the street.
Good luck and ride safe!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have an 06 500 and I'm far from bored with it. I am curious to try something with more power to hit the highway, but not enough to give up my 500. Ricers don't keep up; I'm pulling away while their tires are screeching! I don't ride on the highway because I'm in Los Angeles and the highway is a cluster @#$% and the bike feels a little shaky for it sometimes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey Pools.
The 500 does a fine job on the freeway. It's nearly as stable as my ZX9R and it will go 80+mph all day long without any problem or strain at all. I rode mine from San Diego to Whistler, British-Columbia and back--6300 miles in 10 and a half days (http://www.calamarichris.com/05britcol-4.htm) . Most of the trip was admittedly on backroads, Big Sur Highway, criss-crossing the Sierras, Hwy's 36 & 299, but I had a few high-miles days on the interstate and the 500 ate it all up with gusto and came back for seconds.
The stock front tire does admittedly tend to follow rain grooves on LA's segmented concrete freeways more than on my 9R, but since Dunlop no longer produces that front tire for anyone but KHI's factory, you'll be forced to get a different front tire, and none of them are as dodgey on the rain grooves as that one. In any case, all tires tend to be affected at least a little bit by those annoying grooves.
If you ever make it down toward San Diego, we can swap bikes and you can take my 9R for a spin. It's geared-up to get better mileage at the expense of a little snap, but it will still scare the poopy out of you at 7,000rpm.
-Chris in Carlsbad, CA
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts