Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 500r. I changed the oil and filter. I drained it, then changed the filter. I put about 3 quarts of oil in it. I was riding and it died and the oil light came on. What is the problem? When the bike is straight up and down, the oil check thingy is full of oil. Is there to much oil or not enough?

please help asap!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
your not suppose to fill the oil window up completly i heard it can be bad to have too much oil in your engine... try draining the oil and putting in the recommended amount of oil and not just filling up the window until u see nothing but oil...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay! Thank you I really hope I didnt ruin it! I thought this would be simple. I am getting conflicting information. Kawi says to put 3..4 liters in but my dealer said to only put in 3 liters. I will drain it and then put it back in but not as much and see what happens.

THANK YOU!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Always go by the eye. It never lies. They are two lines next to the eye. One at the top and one at the bottom. You want your oil level to be in the center of those two lines after running the engine a couple of minutes and turning the engine off and waiting a couple of minutes. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I got my oil changed, from the dealership, and I was riding home, and my bike died...ended up finding out, I only ran out of gas :D (long story), But you know..theres this thing, looks like a needle, or shot looking thing, you can suck a little bit of oil out with it. its alot easier.

·
Registered
155 Posts
your oil light came on after the bike turned off? normal it is, the engine was no longer turning so it was no longer pumping oil, didnt need to, no moving parts, prob ran out of gas. And overfilling can cause adverse effects by messing with the crank case pressures. So make sure you fill it correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.