Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since members here were so helpful with my tires-in-the-rain question, I have another one MOST important to my future! Anyone who started on a 500R, or a similar road bike (the Suzuki that is in the range of the 500R): What was it like for you? Was it scary, difficult, easy? Did you feel that it was like "starting all over", and very "newbie", or was it a natural transition? How about your discomfort or comfort with pegs, feet, seat? The 500R fits me (and I, it) as if made for me. When I snug up to the tank, it's like " O.K., Honey, I'm home!" What's your ZX6R experience?

"Abandon All Sloth, Ye Who Enter Here!"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, funny you should ask :) I currently ride a Kawasaki EX500 and TODAY, god willing, I'm picking up a new 2002 ZX-6R!!! Well, to answer your question, I ride my brothers 2002 F4i, and it's quite a difference. You're basically doubling your horsepower, BUT the 600 class of motorcycles are so nimble, they actually feel lighter and turn much easier. Just watch that front wheel pop up every so often and be ready for a nice adrenale rush when you gas it for the 1st time ;)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yup, he's exactly right. But I wouldn't be scared at all about it. As long as you take it easy at first to get use to your new powerful bike, and respect the bike, you'll be just fine.

=)

If I lose, then you cheated.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
As they said, its a pretty big jump. Same bike weight, twice the hp, much faster. Quicker steering.

It can be done, but a cautious rider will keep the new bike upright longer. Relax while riding it for the first 1k miles, and both you and the bike should be broken in fully.

I would still recommend a bike that's halfway between the two, like a Bandit 600 or an SV650. Both are pushing the 70's at the tire, and are perfectly between the 50 of the 500r, and to 95 of the zx6r.

BC

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well everyone, I GOT IT! WOO HOO! Red/black 2002 ZX-6R. I know, I know, I could have waited for an '03, but I like the '02's looks and comfort. Can't wait till it's broken in, it's barely at 16 miles :p First mods will be tank protector and frame sliders, any recommendations?
- JV
1990 EX500 for sale.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All your responses so far are noted, and valued. ITTJV, I also prefer the 2002- that's why I'm anxious to get people's ideas about a change-up: I'm thinking about getting a "leftover" 2002 ZX6R in the spring, but would not be interested in the more racer-like 2003. I've scouted out six 2002's (three green, two yellow, one red)in the area in only four shops, so there are probably others out there too. I've chatted with an owner of a RED 2002-he got me into asking the question about tires in rain, since he felt the Dunlops were useless. Man, that's a beautiful bike!! BC, your ideas are noted! The SV650S didn't feel very comfortable in a one-minute sit on my roommate's bike. I'd put it out of consideration- never rode it. I was too newbie to ask to try it, so afraid I'd drop it. He's got a Triumph Speed Four, now, so no free test rides on a SV. A very experienced and wise fellow of my acquaintance also suggested a Bandit (or the Katana) and expressed a lot of respect for its air/oil cooling system. I dunno...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Good frame sliders on the ZX-6R are a bitch. They need to attach to something solid, usually a motor mount bolt. The left side motor mount bolt on the ZX-6R is behind the coolant tank. I thinke they make some race versions that totally relocate the coolant tank but the is not very practical for the street. Most of the sliders advertised mount to a fairing bracket bolt and a practically worthless. There is one company, R&G Racing that has a set that includes a modified coolant tank that allows mounting them to the motor mount. They cost about $150/

·
Registered
778 Posts
I agree with swj, the bolt on fairing ones SUCK ASS and they actually hurt the plastics more than they protect.

If you spill your bike the bolt on fairings ones with SNAP right off and it usually cracks your fairing. Its a waste, you have to spend the $150 to get the ones that go to your frame. Sucky part about them is you will have to modify (cut) your fairing.

·
Registered
695 Posts
ITTJV,

I know the feeling of having a new 6R! I don't think I slept the day before I picked it up or a couple days after. I've never owned anything new in my life, until my 6R. HAVE FUN, BE SAFE!

Doesn't the break-in period freaking suck?!?!?!?!? I only lasted 150 miles under 4K on my bike. I now have 750 miles on my bike and I still take it pretty easy. I think Ive gotten as high as 7K on my bike once.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Depends on your skill and learning curve...

I had a Suzuki GS500e 2000 for like 4 months and did my MSF course and test with it...

Jumped to a ZX6R...Did 5000 miles with it, and I'm bored to sh!T with it...I'm going to FAST racing school next season...

Maybe a litre bike or a 12R next :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BosterX, you make a good point. But, my skill has been slow coming, and my learning curve is a gentle slope, so I have to err on the very cautious side of caution. (I'm just not naturally gifted in the balance and coordination department.)

·
Registered
695 Posts
I realize that a 12 would be a huge jump...but I still don't see how you could be "bored as shit" with your 6R!??!?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Man Marine, you ain't kidding. This break in period sucks! lol I can't wait to hit at least 600 miles to take it in for it's 1st service.
- JV

·
Registered
778 Posts
I use to have an EX500: 1992 (old sucker) Great Bike.

It's like night and day to tell you the truth, same weight twice the speed and HP..

·
Registered
695 Posts
hahaha...i ran out of fuel the other day too creepfeet.

Out of the 2 bikes I've ever had in my life, this one (02 6r) doesn't have a fuel gage. I guess I was used to knowing how much I had left.

I noticed my bike sputtering a little bit before I came up to a stop light. When I stopped, my bike said good night. I managed to get it restarted, but it didn't like it. And as my luck goes there wasn't a gas station real close. Finally I found one and ended up having to scoot (with my feet) the rest of the way to the gas station. Needless to say, I haven't run out of fuel since.

·
Registered
695 Posts
JV,

I'm at 750 miles right now, and scheduled to get it serviced next week. By then I think a change of oil/filter and a chain adjustment are in order.
Can anyone else think of something I should have checked out while I'm there?
Once again, by then my bike should have about 850 miles and its an 02 6R (yellow...like the color matters).

YES, break in does suck ass! Like I said, after 150 miles I took it on the highway, but still never went above 5500 rpms and NEVER raced it fast.
Can anyone else think of something I should have checked out while I'm there?

Once again, by then my bike should have about 850 miles and its an 02 6R (yellow...like the color matters).

Edited by - Marine on 10/08/2002 16:58:20

·
Registered
778 Posts
Why bring your bike into the dealer, do the oil change yourself..

thats all they are going to do, unless youre doing wheelies your chain should be fine.

Here is what I suggest you do:
Change the oil / oil filter
Lube the chain
Clean your bike

Thats it your done...

·
Registered
778 Posts
quote:

Out of the 2 bikes I've ever had in my life, this one (02 6r) doesn't have a fuel gage. I guess I was used to knowing how much I had left.
Use your trip meter, you get about 120 miles before you have to hit reserve.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, according to the dealer (trust them as far as I can throw them), they re-torque the head, adjust the valve clearence and tighten all the nuts and bolts again. They change the oil and filter and adjust the chain. It does make sense, A LOT of sense actually, but do they actually DO the work, who knows :) Either way, I'm still taking it to the Dealer for it's 600 Mile service. After that, I'll go back to changing my oil and filter like I did w/ my EX. And as for me, only 125 Miles so far, arrrghhhhh!!!
- JV

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.