Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone made the conversion yet? What's sprockets did you go with? What about prices?

I was thinking about the RK kit. The only problem I have is I wanted a gold colored rear sprocket and they only have silver for the zx6rF (95). I'm also gonna drop a tooth from the front and maybe add one to the rear. Then purchase a yellow box.

Here's what I found. http://www.newportcycleparts.com/categories/chain_sprockets/rk_chain_sprok_kts.htm#quick

or for $50 more I can get a colored rear one and 14/41.

http://www.tristatesport.com/Racing&Perf/chain_sprockets.htm

$200 is my max budget for this step of my bike. Bad enough I've already spent $400 to polish the frame myself. I love how my projects just snowball into bigger more expensive projects.

Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
690 Posts
quote:
Im leaving the front alone and going up 3 in the back.
Some say that a bigger chain is needed if you go up in the back. Is this true for our bike? I do not know which to do, go down 1 or go up 3.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This has been debated a lot. Some bikes if you go down on the front the chain will drag on the swingarm. But I figure if I go down and up at the same time the tension should be right. The chain size should be right if you order a kit though. I hope they know what they're doing.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I'm one down and two up with a 520 RK o-ring. No problems what-so-ever.

-gary
'02 6R

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which sprockets did you get? What's your chain length? 120?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have gone down one up front and the properly adjusted stock chain did not rub the guard.

I have also gone up two out back and used the stock chain. It would have been too short had I gone up three.

The stock chain on pre-2003 ZX-6Rs has 108 links. If you only go up three out back, you need at most 110 links.

I like the DID 520ERV2 chain on AFAM sprockets.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I couldn't tell you what length the chain was. The sprockets were something my parts shop carried (Sun Coast maybe? Something like that.) and they gave me a bit longer chain that I cut and had a dealer press.

-gary
'02 6R

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
150 to 600 grit sand paper - $20
1200, 1500, 2000 grit sand paper - $60 (but it came in packs of 20 sheets)
Buffs/rouges - $60
Palm sander - $5
2 die grinders - $60
Air compressor - $299.98 after tax
Masking tape, paint stipper, steel wool, a few other things - $20

The nice thing is if I ever want to polish someone else's frame and charge them about $400 I have enough of everything except buffs. =)

edit: oh yeah, I'm also still looking for 800 grit sand paper and maybe 1000 grit. So far Menards/Home Depot/Wheeler's Auto Supply have left me with little options except to order it online.

Originally, we were going to use my roommates air compressor, but the first die grinder we bought ate too much air. So we bought a 2nd air compressor with lower CFM and it still ate too much air. Finally, I decided I needed a good air compressor that will last me a life time if I take care of it and bought a nice one. That was the majority of the cost.

Edited by - iowazx6r on 01/02/2003 22:38:21

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.