Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 520 chain capable of handling a ZX9's power? I wanna go 15-43 with tha 520GXW chain....... Will i be ok? What route should i take?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ive put about 14k on mine so far and it still looks good. I dynoed before and after and it freed up 3hp and 4tq from less rotating mass. And was getting better gas mileage also Was worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I have one but its stretched to hell and back. But decent miles on it.

i have the D.I.D. 520ERV3 Gold SBK X'ring Race Chain

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea....the chain im lookin at is one of the top chains by RK its also a X ring chain...... someone told me a 520 wont hold up.... Anyone have any problems?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ive learned that if you keep it well lubed and clean my 520 has lasted longer then people said it would last.

·
Registered
165 Posts
kawboy, i'm running the exact setup you are thinking of, and haven't had any problems at all. speedo will be off, and i got a speedohealer for that. other than that, the gear change will be alot more noticeable than the 520, be carefull, power wheelies are way too easy with this setup in 1st and 2nd. i'm not a stunter and it scared the shit out of me the first time i got on it really hard after doing the swap. i'm right at 200lbs and the bike was never bad about coming up on me before the swap.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I don't have the 520 conversion, but I had +2 on the rear. BUT, I just recently switched back to my stock rear sprocket. I found that the +2 rear took away from acceleration. I have also since found that I can wheelie in 1st and 2nd just that same as with +2. 1st gear power wheelies come on just as easy. 2nd gear power wheelies and clutch ups come too, no problem, even clutched up 3rd the other day!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Originally posted by 87gtNOS
I don't have the 520 conversion, but I had +2 on the rear. BUT, I just recently switched back to my stock rear sprocket. I found that the +2 rear took away from acceleration. I have also since found that I can wheelie in 1st and 2nd just that same as with +2. 1st gear power wheelies come on just as easy. 2nd gear power wheelies and clutch ups come too, no problem, even clutched up 3rd the other day!!
Hah! I found that too but figured it was just me or that my engine was a bit tight when I put the +2 aluminum sprocket on and the engine was looser with more power after 12,000 miles of that sprocket when I placed the stock sprocket back on. But maybe +2 doesn't really help wheelies much. I don't know, but I'm liking stock gearing again and will probably keep it that way.

·
Registered
717 Posts
update...I have left the stock gearing on. I will be now buying a 520 conversion in the spring for use with the stock teeth count. Had the bike out on New Years day...should have been sledding, and even in the cold, it pulls awesome power wheelies effortlessly with stock gearing...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yeah? Please let me know if you get some spacers or something with that conversion kit. I need a new drivetrain soon, and plan to go from my stock 530 to a 525. I've never seen kits for that, so I plan to choose the parts myself but don't know if I should be getting any spacers. Logically, it seems you shouldn't need any just going to a thinner drivetrain, but I'd like to know for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.