Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the details on the 07 ZX6R

The ZX-6R’s all-new engine was redesigned from the crankcase up for the first time in ten years, leading to an ultra-high-rpm powerplant that produces more mid-range torque than any of its predecessors.
Does this mean that the 07 will have more low end despite having fewer ccs?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If it is going to only make 120bhp then that is less than they were making with the 04 636, the 04/05/06 were all rated more than 120bhp.

I would think they should be able to push the 130 motor hp range now with the current technology. Hopefull seeing around 110 to 115 stock at the wheels with a nice midrange.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Being an engineer (nerd)... I question how the 07 model can make more torque than the 06 model. It is down 37cc's and rev's higher.

Maybe it makes more peak torque, but the 636 should still make more torque in the low to mid RPM's. That's were you feel it the most when riding.

It sounds more like an R6 engine... you have to redline it to get any power out of it.

I'm keeping my 06 model.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It may to have the power number but it is possible that the hp to wight ratio is up over the 03/06 636. It also has a 13.9:1 compression ratio which can get a from more numbers on the dyno.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally posted by bazdrum
According to the details on the 07 ZX6R

"The ZX-6R’s all-new engine was redesigned from the crankcase up for the first time in ten years, leading to an ultra-high-rpm powerplant that produces more mid-range torque than any of its predecessors".

Does this mean that the 07 will have more low end despite having fewer ccs?
Isn't that what they always say...????

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Originally posted by greensky
Being an engineer (nerd)... I question how the 07 model can make more torque than the 06 model. It is down 37cc's and rev's higher.

Maybe it makes more peak torque, but the 636 should still make more torque in the low to mid RPM's. That's were you feel it the most when riding.

It sounds more like an R6 engine... you have to redline it to get any power out of it.

I'm keeping my 06 model.
Fellow nerd/engineer here. I too am skeptical about the claims but it is possible to make more torque with a smaller engine, it just needs to be more efficient with what it has.

I don't know what kind of hi tech shit kawi stuffed into the new 6 to make up for the displacement, but it must be pretty good if it is as good as they say.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Kawi have succombed to the norm. 599cc's. At least push the limits and make 601-602cc, or a little more, so we dont get accused as cheaters.

I am pretty sure, and this is sad, that my 2004 will just murder the new boys until 7-9k. I mean this is the beauty of the 636, so much torque...

now i suspect that we will have a R6 like scooter sub-9000rpm, monster post-11000k. which reminds me of my old RS250 2stroke.

i guess we'll have to go out get a Duc or Triumph 675 if we want that torque.

Another bucnch of street useless machines...bravo KAWI!

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Originally posted by urymoto
Kawi have succombed to the norm. 599cc's. At least push the limits and make 601-602cc, or a little more, so we dont get accused as cheaters.

I am pretty sure, and this is sad, that my 2004 will just murder the new boys until 7-9k. I mean this is the beauty of the 636, so much torque...

now i suspect that we will have a R6 like scooter sub-9000rpm, monster post-11000k. which reminds me of my old RS250 2stroke.

i guess we'll have to go out get a Duc or Triumph 675 if we want that torque.

Another bucnch of street useless machines...bravo KAWI!
Kinda harsh aren't you, we haven't heard anything about how the new 6 produces power yet and your mind is already made up about how bad it is.

As far Kawi making a "bunch of street useless machines", I think your forgetting what these bikes are made for. Supersports are meant for the track, or at least very "spirited" riding. Hence all the high tech goodies it has that are unneccessary for street riding.

Your argument reminds me of someone who goes and buys a Ferrari and then complains that the lack of trunk space.

Just look at how the fender/lights can be removed for the track. That should clue you in on what the engineers at Kawasaki felt the bike should be used for.

I admire Kawi for saying "fuck you" to all the posers out there that want a street friendly race bike. Friendliness is not their target and they shouldn't compromise the performance for the squids who only ride their shit to bike night and back. If you want something to cruise around town on at 4k rpms, get a cruiser or a regular sport bike. You don't need a supersport.

Oh, and what the hell are you talking about with the 601-602cc shit. You do realize that the 599 "norm" is the limit for racing right? They don't just pick that number out of thin air. It would be retarded to make an engine that is just barely over the limit. Get a clue dude.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Originally posted by FLOJOE

Kinda harsh aren't you, we haven't heard anything about how the new 6 produces power yet and your mind is already made up about how bad it is.

As far Kawi making a "bunch of street useless machines", I think your forgetting what these bikes are made for. Supersports are meant for the track, or at least very "spirited" riding. Hence all the high tech goodies it has that are unneccessary for street riding.

Your argument reminds me of someone who goes and buys a Ferrari and then complains that the lack of trunk space.

Just look at how the fender/lights can be removed for the track. That should clue you in on what the engineers at Kawasaki felt the bike should be used for.

I admire Kawi for saying "fuck you" to all the posers out there that want a street friendly race bike. Friendliness is not their target and they shouldn't compromise the performance for the squids who only ride their shit to bike night and back. If you want something to cruise around town on at 4k rpms, get a cruiser or a regular sport bike. You don't need a supersport.
[:+1][:Stupid]

·
Registered
370 Posts
Floejoe, what percentage of sport bike riders worldwide bring their bikes to the track??? <10% for sure. So no, they are not supposed to be made for the track, they are, wether you want it or not, made for the street, with the added appeal of being very track friedly, even if the mechanichs and engineering is the other way around (track bikes that people ride on streets). Its all about marketing...for squids...cause 80% of riders of sportbikes are squids, so they get turned on when they can ride a supersport on the street like morons, instead of ever bringing it to the track like us. 25 000 rpm redline 190hp, inverted forks, bla bla.....idiots get turned on by those numbers, thats why kawi/yamaha/honda makes them, not to serve TRACK lover like us...

I love my 636 and use it as a track bike too, but for the love of god man, it needs to be a LITTLE street friendly, which for instance the R6 isint. How does that make me a squid? I ride my biek to work and back every day, do raod trips and take it to the track.
IT would be dumb if its only good on a track, dont you think?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I think flojoe is more right than you are urymoto. These bikes are made for the track first, then the street.

Race on sunday, sell on monday.

There are several race classes that dont allow mods other than race plastic and exhaust. No motor changes or ecu changes. That is the whole reason for the ultra high rpm limits. They need top end power as the racers tend to be alot higher in the rpm band when going into corners and are already in the meat of the torque output.

Slipper clutches..race bike first, street next. Radial mount caliper and master cylinder...race bike first, street bike next. Duel injectors and electronic secondaries...race bikes first, then street.

The list can go on and on. That is the reason most manufactures offer two type of bikes. Super sports and sport cruisers. Ie...ZX6R and the ZZR600. Kawasaki learned the hard way, race replica bikes sell way better than sport cruiser minded bikes. Look at the 2000 to 2002 years. GSXR600 and the R6 were the prdominate street bike for thier power, handling, and brakes. The 00-02 ZX6R(ZZR600) was known as a great cruising bike that faired well on the track but was under the gun when in comparison to the other 600 bikes.

you are right, these bikes are made for one thing, Racing first and foremost then consumer sales.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Originally posted by urymoto

Floejoe, what percentage of sport bike riders worldwide bring their bikes to the track??? <10% for sure. So no, they are not supposed to be made for the track, they are, wether you want it or not, made for the street, with the added appeal of being very track friedly, even if the mechanichs and engineering is the other way around (track bikes that people ride on streets). Its all about marketing...for squids...cause 80% of riders of sportbikes are squids, so they get turned on when they can ride a supersport on the street like morons, instead of ever bringing it to the track like us. 25 000 rpm redline 190hp, inverted forks, bla bla.....idiots get turned on by those numbers, thats why kawi/yamaha/honda makes them, not to serve TRACK lover like us...

I love my 636 and use it as a track bike too, but for the love of god man, it needs to be a LITTLE street friendly, which for instance the R6 isint. How does that make me a squid? I ride my biek to work and back every day, do raod trips and take it to the track.
IT would be dumb if its only good on a track, dont you think?
I'm not calling you a squid, sorry if I made it sound like that. I just get frustrated when something gets watered down because it's too much for the average guy to handle or use effectively. Unfortunately your right about the overwhelming percentage of squids who buy these bikes just to say they have the fastest bike out there. They may have money, but we shouldn't cater to these people.

I only use my bikes for one thing, to ride fast and get my adrenaline fix. I don't care about commuting or putting around town on it. I realize that most people want a bike that can do both, but it really isn't feasible to satisfy one side without compromising the other.

Say what you want about the new r6 (I'm not a big fan of it either) but it does what it was designed to do very well, and I can't blame Yamaha for making the decision to go that route. Kawasaki wants to win races, so let them do whatever they think it takes.

I guess they should offer a street friendly sport bike too, but it should be a completely seperate model so that it doesn't take away from their racing aspirations for the zx6r. Maybe a 750 twin or something else thats torquey and will fit in a 600 frame? The ninja 650r is cool, but its not a true sportbike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think all the above is correct.

What wins races on Sunday sells on Monday. That is why so many of us buy 600cc bikes or 1000cc bikes. They are fast and we can easily turn around and sell them to put $$$ towards our next 600cc or 1000cc bike.

I would like to see the return of a 750cc race class with Kawasaki returning to glory in that class that was usually dominated by the GSXR750. Then we, as the consumer, would have more choices. The balance and power of a 750cc is like have the best of 600cc bikes and 1000cc bikes.

Maybe someday we will have that choice again. Moto GP bikes are being limited to 800cc size next year, maybe AMA will follow and open a similar sized class in the near future.

I know that I will always be in pursuit of a perfect all around bike... something with hp/torque/dry weight. For now I will hang on to my 636 and see how what direction that the AMA and Kawasaki/Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki head towards in the years to come.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.