Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure I'll take her in for the Kawasaki 600 mile check up. What's everyone's thoughts of this? Quoted $150. Sounded like you name it they check it out. Included are oil and filter change, chain cleaning/lube, and chain tension check adjustment.

·
Registered
96 Posts
is it 500 miles or 600 i can't remember? 150 that sounds pretty good to me, how long will they keep your bike for?
Make sure they go over everything including re-tightening up your nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Quoted $150??? I was originally told my first service would be between $3-400 dollars. It was $184.57. Scared me(in a good way) when she told me how much cheaper it was than what I thought it was.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I considered bringing mine in since it's my first bike, but in the end I just did everything on that list with a friend. It doesn't take much time, the bulk of it spent trying to get the OEM oil filter off which seemed to be way too tight. So get someone who's handy with bikes to help you out, it'll save you a bunch of money.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I considered bringing mine in since it's my first bike, but in the end I just did everything on that list with a friend. It doesn't take much time, the bulk of it spent trying to get the OEM oil filter off which seemed to be way too tight. So get someone who's handy with bikes to help you out, it'll save you a bunch of money.
+1 That's what I'm about to do. Gonna change the oil and filter myself tomorrow and make sure everything's tight. No way I'm payin for someone else to do that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
$150 is cheap. Mine was a bit over $200, I think, but I'm in Chicago area where they would tax the air you breathe if they could and put toll boothes on the sidewalk. I went to the dealer for the first service just so to not have to deal with any possible BS if a warranty issue came about. Other than the first, I do things myself and KEEP RECEIPTS.

GKP - all filters installed by the factory are really tight and that is normal. It's the same way for the first oil change on a car or truck. The reason for that is in the factory the rubber o-ring sealing the filter isn't lubed with a thin layer of oil as someone should do when installing a new filter. One word of advise for new oil changers is make sure the rubber o-ring comes off with the old filter - if not a double gasket will be very messy once the oil pressure is built up!!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called them up today and they told me that if I could bring it in this afternoon I could pick it up at lunch time the next day. I said sold. Sounds like I'm getting a pretty good bit for not a whole lot of money. Plus they are going to clean and lube the chain as part of the whole deal. Besides I have no idea how to synch throttle bodies. ???? Heck I got a good deal on the bike I'll spend a little on service. I'm just happy they didn't have any 09's in stock. LOL... Would have been really hard not to come out of there without either the ER-6 or the new 09. I really like the new instruments.

·
Registered
294 Posts
When someone told me to just do it myself and skip the service check-in's, I said "well what about the valve adjustments, etc?", and almost everyone I've talked to said they're pretty sure that the dealer doesn't even touch them...... That may just be up here but I don't know

1 - 9 of 9 Posts