Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its almost here I have 550 miles on my zx6rr and now its time for that first service, heres my problem. This sunday and monday its going to be super awesome riding weather. Does anyone see a problem with 800 miles before the first service, also does it void your warranty???

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dude, if your going to ride it past 600mile service at least change your oil to see if any metal shavings are visible (hope not). But it's recommended that you do the inital 600mile service and not overrun it past it. I don't think it would void your warranty. Have fun riding that sweet zx6rr. I know how you feel when you get a hold of a new bike. :D

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Dont know if you have read all the posts in here BUT Your first maintanance is 15,000 miles not 600. But you damn well better have done the oil 2x's by 800 miles. I didnt believe that it was 15,000 miles for first valve check but it is true.

With great freedom, comes great responsibility.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Follow the Periodic Maintanence Squedule chart in your user manual. For the 02 it is on pages 72-75. I got my bike in for the 600 at about 680 miles (Dealer is over 30 miles from me) and the mechanic said you could actually got to 1000 miles before your first dealer "full service" if you follow the chart for the simpler tasks. After my 600, they said, "See ya at 4,000 miles".

The service intervals for the 02 6r are:
(Miles)

Really it depends on what minor services you can do on your own. Lubing the chain every 600 miles, oil changes, fluid levels, etc. I let the dealer do the major stuff.

Save all your service receipts as if you ever sell your bike you bet your ass the perspective buyer is gonna ask for your maintance records. If you don't ahve all those, that can cost you a sale.

-Flash

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but habit" - Aristotle

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
You would NEVER catch me at the dealership at all thoses intervals! I dont need to pay some one $150 to change my oil. The fluid levels are not going to need to be refilled on 99.999% of bikes at those early intervals. But I would lupe the chain AT LEAST every 300 NOT 600 miles. It takes what about a min. and a half to lube it! but the first service on the 03 zxr/rr is 15,000 miles.
I dont consider changing the oil a first service!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Don't waste your money. All they are gonna do is change the oil and lube the chain. I fell for that crap, they said they would check the valves and all this other crap and change the plugs, but they never even pulled my tank off, kinda hard to change plugs and check valves. I know they didnt check the va;lves because when I had them done the guy said the valve cover had never been off. I change the oil @500, 1000, and then I change my oil every 1500 to 2000 miles.

2001 ZX-6R
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/minytrker/bike.htm
http://www.knology.net/~minytrker/

·
Registered
443 Posts
i say f$!k service. ride the bike as long as you can without changing the oil, fluids, lubing the chain. get some new tyres once in awhile..[:p] what could possibly happen [?]

just playin'. i have had a few new bikes.. i usually drop the oil within the first 100 miles to get the metal shavings out. then i would drop it again at 500 miles..and continue to do so every 1000-1500 miles. you can do so much on your own. save the $$.

"I'm from yeranus."

·
Registered
537 Posts
Get a service manual (not the user manual) and you can do most things on your own. (Given right tools) Also helps to have friends who know what they are doing.

ZX6R-J1 2000

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Theres no service manual out for the 03 yet. But as soon as the CLYMER one comes out, it's mine. The CLYMER ones are awsome.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was starting to get concerned about doing the 600 mile valve service for my bike, expecially considering the service manual isn't available yet. Low and behold, what shows up this week? I got a letter from Kawasaki. They made a mistake in the 636 owners manual- the first valve check is needed at 15K miles, not 600 like it's printed. The letter came with a sticker showing the new service intervals to put over that service page in the manual. If anyone needs it, I can scan in the letter and the sticker.

Gary Milcheck
'03 ZX-6R
'00 748R

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Yes I had to go to 2 different dealershps to get mine. This is a totally new oil filter model# I paid $10.55 for it and it is part # 16097-0002. The one dealership I went to was so bad they couldnt even find the part# for the filter to order it. guess Ifound a new dealership huh!
Also I used Motul 3000 10w40 as my oil. 4L's came out to $14.07
You just might have to call around to a couple of places to get the filter. I bought 5 filters when i was there so I know I wont ever have trouble finding them again.

Faster then a speeding...
Ticket

·
Registered
316 Posts
That is a good idea to stock up on filters. I have been after one down here for the past two weeks with no luck. They should have them in tomorrow though, hopefully. If not, I might have to put my baby in the garage for a week until I can get the oil changed on it. You would figure that Kawasaki would let dealers know when they change to a new filter to give them time to get a stock of them in so that this kind of stuff doesn't happen.

-Cops want a hot pursuit, so entertain them! -Shadee

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Tommyboy there is a factory service manual for the '03 6r/6rr. I bought mine about 2 weeks ago. Found it on e-bay new for $30.00 including shipping. The part number is 99924-1311-01.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
oh yeah I guess I wasnt thinking about the FACTORY service manual. I was thinking CLYMER or Hayes. I have seen the factory manuals and just been very disapointed by them, but this was a few years back. Hopefully they have gotten a little better by now. But for the next year until they have the aftermarket manuals I guess the factory manual is better then nothing, But I'm a Clymer man all the way!

Faster then a speeding...
Ticket

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.