Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally gone through the first 600 mile break in on my 02, making sure not to overrev and always varying the engine load.

So I've taken it in for the first service and its being worked on now - once I get back, am I free to start blasting away above 7000rpm? Or do I need to take it easy on it for a while yet?

thx!:D

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
you are pretty much safe to do what you want to do on the bike IMHO, but Kawasaki says wait until after 1000 miles...

i took it easy on my bike until 1000 miles...i figure the manufacturer knows best...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'd say you can do it a few times but don't do it on every ride. Just relax. You can put in 400 miles in one weekend if you wanted.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Listen, being in the business I must explain something to you guys....the only time the RPM and milage matters is the first 500 miles....if you baby your bike thereafter, it is a proven fact that you will have less horsepower then a bike that gets on the gas every once in a while after 500 miles...
Here at the shop we actually put bikes on the dyno and do break-ins for some of the roadracers to be sure they ghet the most horsepower out of their bikes...
Just some food for thought....

·
Registered
545 Posts
At 601 miles, I cranked it up and haven't looked back since... now with 4500 miles, I've got no regrets... LET 'ER RIP !!

Of course that is after the 600 mile oil change and checking that all bolts and nuts are secure [:M86]

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I ripped mine on the first ride. You won't have problems. Engines break-in in the first 100 miles. Vary the rpm's for that long then go all out. Strong break-in equals fast bike. Weak break-in equals slight loss in power but it will last forever. I am not really worried about how long it lasts. It will last until it is paid for though, then I will just rebuild it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I personally have never followed dealer break in, I have never had a problem with a bike either. I ride VERY hard 90% of the time. When I first got my 2000 zx6r I got it up to 145 within the first hour. Im not recommending anyone else do this, this is just my input

·
Registered
586 Posts
on my new 04 I ripped on it while pulling out of the dealership. From experiance if somethings gonna break its gonna break no matter what. just my .02. but who am I. all I know is hopefully it works out in my favor(POWER).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Most of the break in occurs almost instantaneously. If something is going to fail such as a ring or bearing its going to do it within the first few times of starting it up. Ash said it above, but everyone around here swears by breaking it on on a dyno. Before you even start it up truck it to a dyno. Get it on, start it up and take it to 1/2 RPM three times. Let'er cool down, then 3/4 RPM three times, cool down, then to redline three times, cool down. There you go, fully broken in. The racers continue this procedure until peak HP is reached.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Glad to see you're back to your former self Andy. After you came back from being sick you didn't seem like yourself.
Glad to see that good ole' Andy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I paid $120 CDN. Its really just oil/filter, and various checks and adjustments. No parts are needed.

I'm looking forward to learning how to change the oil myself in the future.

Originally posted by MnM
I'm coming up on a 600 mile service too. How much do they usually cost?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.