Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to trade in that slow 07 6r for a new 08 10r. That 600 wouldn't even do 70 mph power wheelies, WEAK!

Just kidding... about the 6r being slow that is. I loved that bike, and I already miss it a bit, but it's that time of year where I get the itch for something new so she had to go. In her place is this beauty:

The dealership had two left over 08's, a green one and a black one. I only saw the green one at first and was giving it some serious thought when the salesman said "hey, have you seen the black one we got back here that we put some part on?"

That's when I saw my future bike. It already had a fender eliminator, integrated smoke tail light, swingarm spools, seat cowl, and a hotbodies slash tip slip on exhaust. It also had some hideous windscreen that was solid black with skulls on it or some shit. Major squid material if you ask me. I told them it had to go and made them give me the original windscreen. Also told them I wanted the stock exhaust and passenger seat of course.

Got everything basically for free as the green bike without all the extras would have been the same price. I really liked the green and was torn between the two colors, but the free extras tipped the scales in the black bikes favor.

First impression, this thing is a beast! I also own an 06 zx10, so the power wasn't really suprising to me, but it was still impressive. And the loud ass exhaust just accentuates the sensation of speed. It's been awhile since I rode a liter on the street since my other 10 is a track bike, so the first ride was a little intimidating. It takes a bit to get used to just how easily these things get up to speed.

The handling seems good, although it is in desperate need of some custom suspension tuning which I'm having done next saturday. The riding position is different than my other bikes so it's going to take some getting used to. The pegs are more forward than my other bikes. Some rearsets are on my short list of next mods. First thing is some frame sliders which are already on the way. After having several accidents where frame sliders saved my bike from being totalled, I'm a believer on how important they are.

The other thing I'm going to change soon are the tires. It comes with the BT016's, which are suppose to be good, but I just don't like the way they feel. It could have to do with the suspension not being adjusted, but they just didn't give much feedback on my ride yesterday afternoon.

As far as the exhaust, it's probably not what I would have bought, but I like it a whole lot better than the stock one. The looks are growing on me. I like that it's small and light and simple. The sound is pretty loud though. It sounds good, and isn't so loud that it bothers me while riding, but I'm worried about the attention that it draws. At 13k rpms, that mother screams!

I know some people don't dig the styling of the new 10, but I happen to like it, so save your breath haters, cuz I don't care. Especially you Skywalker, although I rather enjoy that you hate the 08. And the fact that you thought the 07 6r was one of the prettiest bikes Kawi has made makes it even better:p.

I have only had the bike 2 days so I can't give a full review yet, but I plan on hitting up some twisties this weekend. Also, I'm taking it to the track next weekend for it's real test. The front straight at Nashville Super Speedway should be a nice place to see what this thing is capable of. I'll make sure and let you guys know how it goes, assuming I don't wad it up and kill myself beforehand.

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
:lol: you and jdgun are motorockstars!!

PS.. bleck is the festest color ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
whenever i see a black 10r, makes me wonder if I went wrong with my green 10r...

and sorry for the plug but...
I got some Gilles rearsets (black) for ya. $400 plus shipping if you're interested :D

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
Also, I think the BT016's that come on the 10 are different than the aftermarket ones everyone else can buy

<----looks forward to review from someone who really knows how to ride

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Looks very nice... One question; Single? Lottery winner? Born rich? How the hell do you get all these bikes you lucky SOB lol ;)

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
whenever i see a black 10r, makes me wonder if I went wrong with my green 10r...

and sorry for the plug but...
I got some Gilles rearsets (black) for ya. $400 plus shipping if you're interested :D
Nah man, the green looks hot too. Don't have regrets.

Can't afford the Gilles now, but I might get a hold of you later if you still have them.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks very nice... One question; Single? Lottery winner? Born rich? How the hell do you get all these bikes you lucky SOB lol ;)
Single, not rich at all, but got a decent job and have good credit I guess so Kawi keeps agreeing to give me new bikes to wreck. Crazy huh?

I'm also stupid and spend all my money on bikes instead of responsible shit like my retirement 401k. I figure I won't live that long anyway, might as well enjoy these toys while I'm young, dumb, and full of... uh... how did the rest of that go again?

Anyway, I'll probably be selling the 06 zx10 in the next week or so though, so then I'll only have 2 bikes... for now:devil46:.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I've been wanting a liter for a long time now...first the 06 r1 now the 08-09 10r...now if I could find the heart to sell one of the 600s....

Though riding in 2nd gear all the time must get boring eh?

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
I've been wanting a liter for a long time now...first the 06 r1 now the 08-09 10r...now if I could find the heart to sell one of the 600s....

What u want for the 675 ;)

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
damn flojoe... im lookin forward to a good track/dragon review/comparison. congrats man.

btw, have you seen the new 6r....lol
Yep, I was waiting for it to come out before I bought the 10. It looks pretty cool I think, but its almost identical to the 10 style wise. And the MSRP is the same that I got this 08 for, so I didn't really see the point in waiting.

I'll eventually have another 600 though, probably around this time next year when dealers are trying to clear out all the 09's. Middleweights are just too much fun to rev the piss out of. I'm sure I'll miss it eventually.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
That 10 looks good in black, and the fender eliminator and exhaust are a HUGE improvement style wise. Now just do something about those mirrors and it would be a pretty nice looking bike IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes and no. Banging gears is fun, don't get me wrong. But 2nd gear on a liter bike, especially the zx10, is pretty amazing. It's not even like a conventional throttle, it's more like a speed dial. You just pick a speed and twist your wrist slightly and you are there before you even realize it. You could be going 20 mph in 2nd gear, and say "hey, I want to be going 100 mph right NOW" and like a second later you are. It's pretty fucking crazy.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Whats the point in doing that? That bike makes so much power you can stuff it in 5th or 6th gear and ride it like its an automatic instead of reving the the ever living bat shit out of it all the time. Besides, your bike will last a lot longer if it spends most of its time turning 4-5k rpms instead of 10k.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts