Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! im planning on getting an 06 zx-6r in october. Im really excited, cant wait. Today however i was talking to a guy i just met who has a gsxr-750 w/ about 5 years riding experience. I told him what i was getting and he said that the new kawi's are great bikes. However, he said i would get bored of a 600 really fast. He said i should go w/ a 750 or more. Everybody ive talked to says not to start over a 600. but at the same time ive never ridden and i certainly dont want to get bored with the bike. im kind of an adrenaline junkie. any thoughts on this???

·
Powerhungry
37,958 Posts
do you have ANY riding experience now, of any kind? i cant see you outgrowing this bike, not very quickly atleast. it is very hard to be ridden to its potential, and almost impossible to do on the street. this is a very quick, awsome handling bike. sure in 5 yrs the bikes will be better. but this one will still be a [email protected] 2.8 &1/[email protected] 10.5. BUY IT you wont regret it.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Wow, you are gonna get some hell for this post. No, you will not get bored. The zx6r is very powerful and serously fast in the right hands. I've had mine for about a year and it gets more fun everytime I ride because I am learning how to ride it better and faster. Trust me, the bike is faster than you are. Those that say they get bored with 600's are usually noobs that don't know how to ride anything but a straight line. If thats your game, then maybe you will lose the "oh shit" factor after awhile, but thats not what this bike is made for. I definetely wouldn't go with anything bigger if I were you. In fact, I think you should start out smaller. You said it yourself, your an adrenaline junkie. A bike this fast will end up killing you. I am an adrenaline junkie too, if I had started out on this bike, I would be dead by now. I think the guy you were talking to is a complete idiot and irresponsible for suggesting a bike like that to a beginner. BTW, if you haven't already, take the MSF course, please. If you do decide to go with a 600 for a first bike, be careful, wear all the proper gear, and have fun. Oh, and stay away from assholes on Suzuki 750's who tell you stupid shit (no offense to the 750, its a great bike).

20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by FLOJOE
Wow, you are gonna get some hell for this post. No, you will not get bored. The zx6r is very powerful and serously fast in the right hands. I've had mine for about a year and it gets more fun everytime I ride because I am learning how to ride it better and faster. Trust me, the bike is faster than you are. Those that say they get bored with 600's are usually noobs that don't know how to ride anything but a straight line. If thats your game, then maybe you will lose the "oh shit" factor after awhile, but thats not what this bike is made for. I definetely wouldn't go with anything bigger if I were you. In fact, I think you should start out smaller. You said it yourself, your an adrenaline junkie. A bike this fast will end up killing you. I am an adrenaline junkie too, if I had started out on this bike, I would be dead by now. I think the guy you were talking to is a complete idiot and irresponsible for suggesting a bike like that to a beginner. BTW, if you haven't already, take the MSF course, please. If you do decide to go with a 600 for a first bike, be careful, wear all the proper gear, and have fun. Oh, and stay away from assholes on Suzuki 750's who tell you stupid shit (no offense to the 750, its a great bike).
I hear ya man. Im gonna be honest with you when i say i know i wont get anything smaller than a 600 to start with. Even if i should. Ive already got a $500 arai helmet on the way with a joe rocket speedmaster leather jacket. I also picked up a pair of alpine star gloves. So gear is my thing. I dont believe these idiots i see riding with flips flops, shorts and a tee w/ no helmet on. Its mind boggling to me. I know what road rash feels like and its no fun. im taking msf in august.

20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by nevada
oh yeh btw way that guy with the 750 only told you that, b/c he knows ud whoop his ass if u get this bike...
hes not lookin out for you, hes jealous, and insecure. poor gixxer guys....hahaha
Yea i dont know about that.... hes got over 100cc's more power to work with but i guess it all depends on the rider. You wanna know one of the main reasons i went w/ a kawi instead of a gixxer? EVERYBODY has a gixxer! and the guy w/ the flip flops on are usually on gixxers.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I got a question for you. Who cares?

if you are going that fast, you are either on a track under controlled conditions, or you are imminently dead.

what you want to focus on is what feels comfortable at street speeds, and a bit over. Buy the bike that feels the best.

2hrs of dirt bike riding to a 636?

You are going to eat shit if you are not -extremely- careful. don't ride it out of the dealership. get someone to take it to somewhere flat and abandoned with good tarmac, and get used to throttle control and clutch control.

your dirtbike needed to be pushed to do what you wanted it to do, the 636 just needs a nudge, and it will do exactly what you don't want it to do.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
As what was said on here..and any 1000cc guy can say well this or that but...
The ZX6R is a great bike for any rider new or old, fat or thin.
It can run with the best of them in the twisties, no worries if not get away.
The difference is that there is a little more work involved (shifting)
and keeping your corner speed up as well (confidence).
This is where the bigger bikes get easier as you can be lazy and alot of the time catch up in the straights.

I ride with some guys that ride seriously fast bikes with suspension and other goodies done (zx-10r/gsxr1000/hayabusa) and given i have a little bit better skills they can never get away from me and i can actually pull them on the back mountain roads of oregon.
On the track same thing i jack them up in the turns but the big straights they get it back. so it is a cat & mouse game most of the time...LOTS of FUN.

N

·
0 Posts
like someone else said, CC's dont kill people, irresponsibility does.

600's are good starter bikes. i had MUCH less experienced than u do when i started riding. i had only been a passenger on 2 wheels. never was in control of any type of bike. BE RESPONSIBLE and u will do fine. ride like a dumbass and abuse the power, u'll be 6 feet under in no time.

im still here after 2+ years. not a newbie anymore, but still think the 600 has more than enough power for me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
look at it this way, 93% of all people who ride a motorcycle get in some kind of accident. Learn on the 600, and if you tear it up really bad, get a bigger bike (or do like I did and spend all the insurance money on aftermarket parts for your 600 [}:)] ) The best thig about a 600, is that it can grow with you. You learn how to control it stock, get a power commander and a full racing exhaust. Get used to that and get the timing controler and do a -1 +2 geering upgrade. A 600 is already fast, but you can make it go faster. With my 600, I can eat a stock liter bike (until i reach my top speed). 600's are also lighter and easier to control. They are just more fun to ride IMO. And seriously, when will you ever need to go faster tahn 187 mph or 0-60 in 2.8 sec.?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
If you do start with the 636, be real careful like the guys are saying. It's a beast and can come out from under you real quick. Like Timbo said, get a friend that rides to pick it up for you and take it to an empty lot for you to practice. Take the MSF class as soon as you can! You'll learn a ton to apply on the street that could save your life.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Originally posted by nuketheirass.taketheirgas
alright, another newb ? 4 u guys. How fast does a zx-6r go? ive heard 140 and then ive heard 190. i dont know what to believe.
My 03 redlines at 187 indicated (on the rear stand when I was drunk one night), and I've had it up to 176 in head wind on a 1-mile airport runway and it was still accelerating...it got from a stand still to 176 and I had time to let off, coast, and then brake, and I still had about 1/8 mile left when I had come to a stop...if I had gotten on the brakes at race-speed, I could have easily stopped at the 3/4 mile marker...so that's fast enough for anyone, I think. 0-176-0 in 3/4 of a mile? But the ACTUAL top speed as measured by laser/radar/GPS is somewhere around 165.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i have been riding for about 25 years and had various bikes from 90cc to 1100cc. last year i purchased a 05 zx6r and have not regretted it once.
i only do street riding but there is a lot of good back roads to have fun on. i cant imagine someone would be disapointed with the zx6r, its a great well rounded machine. i have to say if my kid wanted to get a zx6r for a first bike, i would do all i could to talk him into a smaller cc motorcycle. the bottom line is get what you like and are comfortable with.

20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im getting the 636 for sure now. Nothing bigger, you guys just solidified what i kinda already knew. Begginner bike= 600 or smaller. Good idea by the way, to take it in the back of a truck to a place where i can learn to ride it. I was planning on doing that for sure, i know if i just hop on it with the experience i have and get on the busiest street in my town, i will wreck for sure. Im just gonna take it real easy at first, learn throttle response and control. Oh and another thing, 165+ mph is fast enough for me :D

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.