Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<div align="left">I was busy this weekend!</div id="left">

<div align="left"></div id="left">

<div align="left">It wasn't very easy doing it in the frame, but it got done!
Here are the results:
My bike's settings from the factory:
Intake 102 (right on factory spec)
Exhaust 106 (104 is factory spec)

After Adjustment:
Intake: 105
Exhaust: 106

I decided to adjust the intake to match the 6RR and race kit setting and leave the exhaust as is. There was barely enough access to adjust the intake cam (while in the frame) and adjusting the exhaust would probably have been a much bigger PITA.

The most time was used to figure out how to mount the dial indicators and once they were set to give consistent readings, the work went better than I expected. To do the intake, a special allen tool had to be made to get to the cam sprocket bolts and there was just enough slack in the timing chain (after removing the adjuster) to pull the chain off the intake sprocket in order to rotate it to the adjustable slots. Besides that, I had to be very, very careful to not drop the tool or sprocket bolt down the engine. I have pictures of the whole process but haven't yet decided if I'm going to do a write up for the web. I don't want to give someone the impression that this was by any means an easy job. And, I don't know if it's worth the trouble yet.

The bike will be on the dyno next week to tweak for race gas and any differences my bike has vs. Dan Kyle's when he made the 636 Arata PCIIIusb program. We'll also be tuning with MR9 race gas, so it should make an interesting comparison to what Dan's results were in this thread:
http://www.KawiForums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8833&SearchTerms=development

List of engine mods (so far):
Stock 1 & 4 velocity stacks (30mm)
Stock 1 & 4 velocity stacks (30mm) in cylinders 2 & 3
Homemade crankcase breather box/oil separator under tail
Cam timing 105/106
BMC Race air filter
Screen removed from front intake
Arata full exhaust
PCIIIusb
Emissions removed, KLEEN valves on head blocked off</div id="left">

·
Registered
534 Posts
damn you were a busy man! I also had the fairing off cause i was bored and I was contemplating on readjusting the timing. but I have no idea where to start. now i have some sort of idea. does taking off that screen in the naca duct make a difference? I've also read somewhere that the BMC filter created some lost in HP on the RR, how did it feel on the butt dyno?[:eek:)] Thanks for the insight..gives me some clue where to start.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sounds Like an Awesome setup!

I Am wondering though? How was the real world differnce (if you do drive it on the street) with the Arata full exhaust, PCIIIusb and BMC race filter?

These Mods seem to be right on Par to what i plan on doing with my 03', Well good luck on the dyno and keep up with the progression!

Eric [:p]

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have the Akrapovic Evolution exhaust and power commander 3 usb, with k&n filter. I do not race this bike, I only street ride. The real world difference is simply incredible, My 03'RR is like a new bike in the mid and upper rpm range. Hope this helps ya some Rainmanzx6r.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once I get the forks back, I'll let you guys know how it's working on the street. Hopefully I get a few days of street riding before and after the dyno session. Then it'll be back to the track setup!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.