Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Hmmmm... if you're talking '03 models, the 636 IS the standard 6R.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The 636 is the zx6r, and the 2003 zx6r(636) uses an entirely new oil filter than any other previous year.

Thank God for Guardian Angels... Especially This One!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah and they are near impossible to get. Two dealerships so far, one very large did not know they had a new part number and therefore netiher had them in stock. Bunch of BS. It is time for my break in oil change and I can't get a goddamn oil filter. Way to go Kawasaki.

2003 ZX6R Silver

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
There's more to having the right oil filter than just "it will fit". The filters are considered a high-flow filter and are designed with the new Ninja's engine... just because they are roughly the same size and the threads fit doesn't mean it's fine to throw it on. Just imo...

I just bought three off my local dealer last week.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
The only difference from the older ZX-6R's and the B1 models is the overall length of the oil filter unit itself. A direct side-by-side comparison shows absolutely NO difference other than length, the thread, internals and diameter are all the same. So don't sweat it, I've used two insofar with no problems whatsoever.

Just one of the many reasons the Kawasaki is so light this year, they're starting to cut corners I don't like to see. EG - The heat exchanger on the oil filter has a tab to insure that you line it up correctly, well that tab is so flimsy compared to the older model. It was a giant pain in the arse getting that thing on correctly without misaligning it! Not to mention the fact that some sort of LOCKTITE was used to secure said heat exchanger inside the oil galley for this very reason!!!

Chaos, panic, disorder......

my work here is done

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.