Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every one, I am new in the "kawa-world" and also new in the forum....
I have a zx6r 06 with 6000 miles, I just put a -1/+1, a K&N air filter, Steel Brake Lines and Leo vince slip on, BUT, I would like to know if some of you know what is the difference between the POWER COMMANDER 3 and the KAWASAKI 636 RACE CDI, I found this CDI in ebay, the addres is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/zx6r-zx-6r-636-racing-ecm-ecu-w-software-NEW_W0QQitemZ230257854484QQihZ013QQcategoryZ35580QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

The factory RACE CDI is already tunned?? it´s neccesary to buy a wire to program it (since the CDI comes with a PC CD)??
Which one is the best??

I hope some of you could help me, and sorry if I´m asking something that was posted before but I didn´t find anything...

Thanks.....:cool:

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
alright man, for the money all all that, to be honest stick with a PCIII and getting a tune.

The race ecu is a nice touch and should free up some power, but without a tune for your specific bike it is just something added, as it can remove the rev limitere and change more things than just the fueling like the PCIII.
but to find someone to tune a bike with it (depending on area) it is not so easy, and also most still add a PCIII with the kit ecu. and you may need ot buy a cable $250+ if your tuner doesnt have one.

for my money (SIMPLICITY) i went to the PCIII and a tune and was all set for under $500
Now i am not going into anything of the bazzazz as i am sure someone else may, but sinc eyou asked PC.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome nereo! First off, $250 is very cheap for a new race/Kit ECU. Secondly, if that part number is correct, that particular ECU will only work for the 05-06 6RR or 6R (with tuning). It's the software CD which includes tuning software will work for either 6R, 6RR or 10R.

There's a ton of info on another thread regarding the Kit ECU but the long and short of it is that the Kit ECU is better than the PC3 because you can tune your fuel map AND ignition AND turn features on and off on your 6R/6RR. A PC3 will only allow you to tune your fuel map.

Sounds good so far right? Well, not exactly... to get the most out of out of Kit ECU, you'll need to tune the fuel map for your 6R (will run fine as is on a 6RR). To tune the Kit ECU directly, you'll need to purchase the ECU tuning cable which is another $400 on top of the cost of the ECU. Also, you'll need find a tuner who knows how to tune the ECU through the tuner software (not many tuners know how to do this).

Your second best option will be to buy a PC3 and tune your fuel map through it. Dynojet tuners are obviously more available to tune for you.

Your third option is run the Kit ECU with no tuning specific to your bike and mods, which I wouldn't advise as things will be running rich/lean depending on RPM and throttle position... But if if you did, you may see a gain of about 7-8 rwhp with a slip on but it'll be running like crap.

If you want the cheapest solution, get a PC3 and get a good map from Dynojet or one of the members here. I'm speaking through experience...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank´s for your help jdgun 13 and chewysc, I think I´m going to get the PC3 because its price and easier use than race CDI....

As soon as I get it I will as for a correct set up...

Thanks a lot...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wish the Kawi ECU's were like my Triumph. I got a cable/software program called Tuneboy which allows me to do all sorts of evil things to my ECU for under $400. You can control fan temps, Ignition tables, warmup tables, fuel/air tables, rev limiters, and it also works as a diagnostic tool. I can flash with the ECU in the bike and can also data log while riding with my laptop in my book bag.

But on a side note. Since this isn't available for the Kawi, I've gotten the PCIII for my 05 ZX6R.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.