Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my pipe has come loose from the connection clamp near the midpoint of the whole exhaust system (down below the right foot peg/brake lever. I have notified my dealer and they fixed it the third time this happened (so that was the first official, documented fix) I have been riding this bike normally and done all oil changes and services. Has anyone else had this problem?

Just lately the clamp that holds the exhaust to the right passenger foot peg broke under NORMAL riding condition and I went to my dealer they said it probably broke from stress of when the pipe first came loose and was hanging abnormally on the clamp.

I have called kawasaki (Number is 949-770-0400 by the way...we should have a section with KAW related numbers on the site maybe?) And they have made a NOTE of it. My bike is registered in MD and there is a lemon law (http://www.somd.com/misc/lemon-law.htm) that says If my bike's problem occurs 5 times or so and is still not fixed....I have legal rights to litigate the Manufacturer and get another replaceable vehicle or get my full purchase-price money back, less the amount for use of the bike.

I need comments, feed backs and suggestions please.

ANd I am very pissed off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They did, but when I inspected the actual end insert of that pipe (where it has been slippin out of the 'female' receiving end) it is lined with a sorta aluminum foil type lining just at that end and My theory is that it was not put on THICK enuff so that when the pipe cooled it maybe shrunk in diameter or something? And with riding and hitting inlinations on the road it maybe shifted the pipe out?

Perhaps I dunno but it should not happen regardless.

Originally posted by Sh1n5

Have they put any loctite on the threads of the clamp? I don't think it would come off then.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
This is a known issue with the 636 that Kawi is looking into.
They decided not to have a bolt right at where the midpipe joins the headers on the 03, I guess to save weight. A couple people have actually had their exhaust come right off.

hopefully Kawi will put out a bulliten on it soon with a fix. It only seems to affect some people.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, I know of about 6 people that have 636's and only myself and one other person is having this problem. I don't know why they designed that midpipe/header connection the way they did. If you see the amount of space inbetween the inside of the midpipe and the outside of the connecting header piece, you would wonder how it's only a brillo-pad looking material that holds them in place, along with a clamp. I hope KAWASAKI fixes this problem, (my swing arm has gotten scratched up too because of the pipe coming off....shouldn't Kaw ffix/ replace that for free too?)

Originally posted by CdnNinjaZX6R

This is a known issue with the 636 that Kawi is looking into.
They decided not to have a bolt right at where the midpipe joins the headers on the 03, I guess to save weight. A couple people have actually had their exhaust come right off.

hopefully Kawi will put out a bulliten on it soon with a fix. It only seems to affect some people.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I haven't run the stock exhaust since my first ride, so I haven't had any problems. The Akrapovic comes with a new collar and clamp, as well as a titanium adaptor ring that slides onto the stock header at the connection there... and I've had zero problems with loosening.

Pays to check over all your nuts and bolts regularly though, since some will loosen through regular riding vibration, even worse with wheelie abuse...

·
Registered
346 Posts
mine came off the other day while popping a wheelie for some mates, the beast sounded grunty as after, but i threw it back on quickly fearing the lack of back pressure musta been knobbing my engine

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
It's happened to me god knows how many times. It's LOUD and mean when it comes off but a little too loud for my ears. Anyway, it slipped right off, took it to the dealer because it's happened over and over and I just kept tightening it, they ordered a gasket for it, said that was the problem. Hope that'll fix it, just have to take it in.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Strong bad: thanks for the advise, but that won't really work the way the pipe is designed it has a big azz 1/8 of an inch space that is filled with the "brillo pad-like" material. the drilling won't really work that well, but thanks

dj dunzie: I feel you, I usually keep my bikes stock. But this I was gonna get an AK slip on (since they require no mapping) and I always check all my bolts at least once a week, for fear of something being loose from doing so many hi-speed runs.

mdsuave:u got a stock pipe still? How many mikes on your KAW? I had about 2500 when this started happening NOw I have 5800

keeper: I know it is not good to have the exahust of...but I don't think it is that bad on the engine as long as the header is on

beezer: what kinda gasket? It has to be real thick cuz the pipe connection there is so loose. And yeah that pipe is REAL loud when it's off....but not as loud as some CHoppers that I have seen.

Thanks for all the feed back...hopefully the clamp comes in today.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Checked my pipe last night and it was loose. Tightened it up and I guess I will be checking it on a weekly basis now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have had to tighten mine 4 or 5 times now, it's a real pain as it is not the easiest bolt to get to. Mine has 7,000 km on it now and no abuse (read wheelies). Time to go back to the shop!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of the other cases of loose stock pipe, the guy does wheelies AND endo's on the regular....BUT he had a 2000 Kawasaki with stock pipe that he guttet out, but THAT never came loose. Even if one does wheelies etc...the pipe should NOT come loose.

This is the first case of this I have ever heard on a bike....unless someone else has experienced this on another bike?

OH and it happened again YESTERDAY...just cruising on the highway

Originally posted by Brian

I have had to tighten mine 4 or 5 times now, it's a real pain as it is not the easiest bolt to get to. Mine has 7,000 km on it now and no abuse (read wheelies). Time to go back to the shop!

·
Registered
19 Posts
"another guy", hm? I wonder who "he" is, hehehe

Sorry sportsbikekid...

I forgot to look, did you get the dealer replacement yet?

-Insana

Originally posted by sportsbikekid

One of the other cases of loose stock pipe, the guy does wheelies AND endo's on the regular....BUT he had a 2000 Kawasaki with stock pipe that he guttet out, but THAT never came loose. Even if one does wheelies etc...the pipe should NOT come loose.

This is the first case of this I have ever heard on a bike....unless someone else has experienced this on another bike?

OH and it happened again YESTERDAY...just cruising on the highway

Originally posted by Brian

·
Registered
16 Posts
MINE HAS COME OFF TO THE HANGER BRACKET IS TACKED TO THE MUFFLER.
IF IT IS LOSE AND BOUNCING AROUND IT IS BROKEN. KAWASAKI WILL REPLACE YOUR EXHAUST.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
03 636 mine keeps coming off and dealer gave me new exhaust also and it still happening.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
whats the deal guys? is kawi going to fix this problem i cant have this cause i wheelie everday and the shit comes off when i do alot of wheelies.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE.....Just to let y'all know...that PIPE caused me to crash on August 2nd 2003 last year. I was hopsitalized with a broken femur (broke in 3 places) cranium, three broken ribs, lost over half my blood, broke my ankle, punctured my left lung and my spleen. I am trying to sue Kawasaki (I still love the bike THO!!!) but my lawyer says we should just sue the dealer, because I took it to the dealer so many times and they did not fix it. My damn medical expenses have exceeded $60,000 and are still climbing because I am still in Physical Therapy (I can walk and stuff now tho.)....anyways JUst wanted to update folks!!! Here is a link to summarize that day:

http://www.45ers.com/insanaq/acorn

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.