Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be fixing my 05 636 more than i'm riding it.

I was in the lot tonight, I was in mid first gear and shifted into second. Rode in second for a couple feet and than it made kind of a clunking noise and kicked it out of second into neutral. Thought my chain broke, so I stopped and everything seemed fine. Started riding and shifting up or down into anygear(including neutral), its almost impossible to shift. The shift lever is hard as a rock.

The lever and linkage are straight. I don't think its going to be a shift fork because it's happening in every gear, and since than what little I rode it it didn't pop out of gear.

Any help/suggestions would be great,
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I had similar problems, (couldn't shift into 2nd,4th,5th, or 6th) IF I was in neutral or 1st I had to force it to shift up - eventually getting into third, which got it to the dealer. Ended in me paying $800 for a transmission rebuild. Problem started with it intermittenly "kicking out" of 2nd gear and back into neutral.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It is a known issue on the 05-06 zx6rs. Trannys suck, especially 2nd gear. Probably going to need a rebuild or replacement soon.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
mine kicks out of 2nd alot and then goes to neutral i hope that it lasts for a little while ahh

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
mine kicks out of 2nd alot and then goes to neutral i hope that it lasts for a little while ahh

I'm going to tell you this for your own good. If you deal with the tranny problem early(like now) it will save you $$$ on parts later down the road when you have a complete failure.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I had some engine work done and while in there I had an shift star put in and had the #2 gear undercut. I have had no problems what so ever now with the thing.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
sounds like a tweaked shift fork, i'd either rip it apart or look for a 2nd motor to put it (sometimes that can be cheaper than a tranny job)

·
Registered
3,281 Posts

I was in the lot tonight, I was in mid first gear and shifted into second. Rode in second for a couple feet and than it made kind of a clunking noise and kicked it out of second into neutral. Thought my chain broke, so I stopped and everything seemed fine. Started riding and shifting up or down into anygear(including neutral), its almost impossible to shift. The shift lever is hard as a rock.

The lever and linkage are straight. I don't think its going to be a shift fork because it's happening in every gear, and since than what little I rode it it didn't pop out of gear.

Thanks in advance
hmm definitely sounds like a fork or drum problem. someone is going to have to get in there unfortunately

·
Registered
980 Posts

Thanks in advance

I would pull the clutch cover off and make sure everything looks good in the clutch before you tear into replacing the trans. If everything in the clutch looks good then you will know where the problem is.

If you swap this motor out for a different one and want to unload the bad motor let me know. I always need parts for my race bikes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really wierd, but I brought the bike to work today and had the tech look at.

Shifted completely fine, as if nothing was wrong. Rode it for a couple hours and still nothing.

There's not much of the season left here, so I will probly rip into it it a couple weeks and make sure everything with the clutch is good.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I dont really even know where to begin. If im only having trouble when i shift into 2nd gear what should i look into. I would like to save some money instead of replacing everything. Can i do this job on my own. Season is almost over so would like to give it a shot so when summer comes i can be all set. Any information on this would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
776 Posts
nah man all I had done was had 2nd gear undercut. my girlfriends dad is a machinist and I told him what I wanted and so I talked to a local shop and got their perspective and I just had him machine it down. like I said I have had no problems at all. I used to fall into false neutrals all the time, but not anymore. so to me its one of two things that I did... either the undercut 2nd gear or the evo shift star, I also do realize the bike came with the roller bearing detent arm but I still switched it all out. all I gotta say is it shifts like a dream now, very fluid.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Mine does it every now and then if i slam the throttle and then goto pull 2nd gear it will either almost go in or grind. Its only 2nd gear that i am having problems with. I have a friend whos dad is a machinist. What do i need him to do exactly. I have never taken a look at the transmission so i dont really know much about it. Is this safe to do? Any information would be great going to try to take a look at this over winter when i cant ride.

·
Registered
111 Posts
What about the RR

is this also an issue with the 600RR? I am not sure but I think the RR uses a different transmission, that doesn't have this issue. I am asking because I am considering buying an 05 RR.... thanks for your input

1 - 17 of 17 Posts