Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to adjust my settings but trying to find out what other 03 636 owners have done. I'm 180lbs and ride pretty hard on the street. I've been sliding both the front and rear. Any info would be appreciated.:)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I found the stock 636 to be over damped ft and rear, too soft sprung up front and too much spring in the rear. I weigh 185 and was suprised I had to take a turn or so preload out of the rear shock, most always bikes are too soft for me using the settings from the factory. The settings I ended up with are on our website, here's the link:
www.bmgracing.com/racereports.aspx?page=racereports&report=2003marchtrackday
Hopefully these will help you get things sorted a little better. BTW, what pressures are you running front and rear? I ended up using 30psi rear and 32 front for the street on the stock tires. Remember, tires are part of the suspension too.

Gary Milcheck
'03 Kawi ZX636R
'00 Duc 748R

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I go 215 pounds, and sound like we do similar riding...

I used the factory settings as a starting point, and basically stiffened the front up a bit, and softened the rear a LITTLE.

I set sag to about 25mm front and back. I went about 5 clicks out on both compression and rebound on the front, and preloaded the front slightly more than stock. On the rear, I found factory settings to be a bit hard, and lightened up the preload a little (about 1-2 turns), and also softened up compression and rebound a few turns.

It's really hard to say how "ideal" it is right now, since I haven't got into any serious riding yet, so I'll likely do a lot of fiddling over the season... any input from bigger racers would be very much welcomed...

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advise guys. I checked the air pressure and both tires were overinflated so I'm going to try 30R and 32F and take it from there.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Originally posted by both ends up

dj dunzie, isn't the damping stepless at front?

www.bothendsup.com
Negative... both rebound and compression are "notched"... factory settings are 8 clicks out on rebound, and 7 clicks out on compression... I bumped both up at least a couple clicks.

Funny, they say they set up factory settings for an "average" rider of about 150 pounds, and yet I found the stock rear set up stiff and I'm 215. A 150 pound guy must get bucked off... no wonder the British mags are all over the factory settings on the track for the rear, saying it's way too stiff... seems the lighter guys are having problems...

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.