Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Mmmmm Akrapovic full system, Scotts Steering Damper, those fan-fucking-tasic Michelin H2's (or is that M2 or S2 compound?), frame sliders and a paddock stand.

Life is good!

/forum/uploads/Strong Bad/wheelie_icon.gif

Chaos, panic, disorder......

my work here is done

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Damn, I missed the Öhlins rear shock, the steel braided lines, and the Vortex rearsets.

Do yourself a BIG favour and get some some heavier fork springs installed along with some thicker fork oil, makes a HUGE difference in front-end feel.

my work here is done

·
Registered
70 Posts
Heading up to Jennings GP tomorrow for the track debut of the Ninja-Racer. I'll post pics and impressions when I return. I'll also post suspension set up notes for those with Ohlins rear shock and Traxxion forks. L8R.:D

636Hooligan has attached this file: 636.jpg 77KB

·
Registered
305 Posts
Man when I saw that setup I almost nutted myself. I wish I could afford that rear shock. So far all I could muster up is an aftermarket pipe and a scott's damp.

[V]

03 636
Scott

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is so![B)]

Melk is an animal. Super fast rider. He runs 1:21 on his F4 race bike. I've only run 1:29. It's a shame, I only got 3 sessions in the morning. The case cover had just a tiny pinhole in it. I thought it was best not to push my luck and go out again. Parked it for the rest of the day. Now it seems the only case covers out there are the Woodcrafts. Everyone else says "coming soon". I better go get one soon. Going back to the track in a few weeks. Overall, the bike felt great. With a little more suspension tweaking and the proper S2 front tire and I should be able to knock a few seconds off. Great power, super handling, and great brakes. The shifting is still a bit notchy as the bike only has 500 miles on it. Now that the bike is initiated, I can push it harder. L8R.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Woodcraft has some available right now. Sent them an email earlier and got a response an hour later. Got photos too, looks nice. They're in stock and I got me a set on order.[8D]

I'll show you lot whenever I get a digital camera. That means you'll probably never see it. [:p]

my work here is done

·
Registered
178 Posts
Weld that sucker up, then repaint it. Won't cost anything. I'd hoped to make Jennings at the end of this month but looks like it's not going to happen. :(

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah, that would work temporarily, but CCS rules require that the case covers be replaced anyway to pass tech inspection. So I might as well spend the $$$ now. The NRC covers are $111, which is less expensive than the rest.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm dying to know how it goes. Kawi's are going to kick ass this year.

--------------------------------------------------

"Cars are for people who can't ride bikes."
"I'll see you in hell."

·
Registered
70 Posts
The bike runs AWESOME! In just 3 sessions at the track I was running 1:30-1:31. My best lap time was a 1:29 on a 999S. With an S2 front I hope to get down a few more seconds. Greg is going to race the bike at Daytona because that is a high horsepower track. He is leading the Amateur Middleweight class in points and even though he absolutely flies on his 2000 Honda F4, he would probably get gobbled up by the newer bikes out on the banking. The 636 is legal in CCS racing against the other "600"'s so for this year there is a big 37cc advantage. In my opinion, since there will no longer be a 750 class next year, ALL 600's will move up to a new "650" class. So this is probably the only year, that the 636 Kawasaki will have an advantage. THe 636 pulls like a 750 down the straights, very fast and good mid range torque coming out of the corners. I did notice a slight headshake a few times powering out of the corners, but since I was running the Scott's Damper on full soft, I put in one full turn of damping and that seemed to do the trick. I know there has been a lot of talk about headshake on the 636, but it really is not that bad. I think you do need a damper, but keep it on a lighter setting. The stock brakes with Galfer lines are great and really haul the bike down fast, although there is not as much "feel" as the brakes on the 999S. I am sure different pad compounds will help this. I made a few small (1 or 2 click) changes on the suspension from the "stock" settings supplied by Ohlins and Traxxion. I also lowered the front ride height 6mm. I have not changed the rear ride height yet, it still has the stock shim. I will hold off on changing this for now. Free sag set at 5mm rear and 25 mm front. If anyone get's an Ohlins rear or has there forks reworked by Traxxion, I can give you the exact settings. Traxxion changed the springs to a .90, revalved compression, revalved rebound, changed the fork oil, and did the race rebuild to the forks. The bike was very stable in the corners, although it did require a little extra effort on turn in. But overall, straight away it was very easy and comfortable to go fast on, and I never felt any unusual movements from the chassis. Definitley get yourself a set of solid mount rearsets, they kept damage to the frame and fairing to a minimum. I have not yet installed frame sliders. The lap timer works great, and much better than the one on the 999S. Having the button on the left clip on is much easier than thumbing the starter button on the 999S. Just be sure each time you go out to hit the lap timer start button on the right side. It will hold up to 19-20 laps I think. The fuel injection was glitch free, with very little on-off transition. Because I am running the Yosh map until an Akro map is ready from DynoJet, there was a little stumble below 5000 rpm, but on the track I was never below 7000-8000 rpm. Kawasaki did a great job designing the bike for track use, the mirrors, lights, fuses, turn signals, and rear brake switch, all came off clean and easy. If anyone knows the EASY mod for the sidestand, please let me know. For now I just removed the sidestand itself, and left the switch. Well, that's about all the impressions I have for now, since I only had a limited amount of time on the bike. Going back in a few weeks. I sure do envy the guy who won the "Dude For A Day" contest last night on Speed!!! The BASTID!!!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by 636Hooligan

Just be sure each time you go out to hit the lap timer start button on the right side. It will hold up to 19-20 laps I think.
The lap timer holds 99 laps before it cycles.

·
Registered
206 Posts
sidestand mod- clip the wires to the switch, strip 'em and solder together. Wrap in tape and you're good to go!

Sounds like you had a blast on the track. I'm amazed with my 636, it comes off corners as hard as my bud's 135hp 750 Gix and only gets pulled a little up top. Unreal. :D

Gary M
www.bmgracing.com
CCS SW AM #28
'03 Kawi ZX636R
'00 Duc 748R

·
Registered
96 Posts
That sounds really good bro I hope your next time out you get those extra seconds your shooting for, and the bike looks sweet.

Originally posted by 636Hooligan

The bike runs AWESOME! In just 3 sessions at the track I was running 1:30-1:31. My best lap time was a 1:29 on a 999S. With an S2 front I hope to get down a few more seconds. Greg is going to race the bike at Daytona because that is a high horsepower track. He is leading the Amateur Middleweight class in points and even though he absolutely flies on his 2000 Honda F4, he would probably get gobbled up by the newer bikes out on the banking. The 636 is legal in CCS racing against the other "600"'s so for this year there is a big 37cc advantage. In my opinion, since there will no longer be a 750 class next year, ALL 600's will move up to a new "650" class. So this is probably the only year, that the 636 Kawasaki will have an advantage. THe 636 pulls like a 750 down the straights, very fast and good mid range torque coming out of the corners. I did notice a slight headshake a few times powering out of the corners, but since I was running the Scott's Damper on full soft, I put in one full turn of damping and that seemed to do the trick. I know there has been a lot of talk about headshake on the 636, but it really is not that bad. I think you do need a damper, but keep it on a lighter setting. The stock brakes with Galfer lines are great and really haul the bike down fast, although there is not as much "feel" as the brakes on the 999S. I am sure different pad compounds will help this. I made a few small (1 or 2 click) changes on the suspension from the "stock" settings supplied by Ohlins and Traxxion. I also lowered the front ride height 6mm. I have not changed the rear ride height yet, it still has the stock shim. I will hold off on changing this for now. Free sag set at 5mm rear and 25 mm front. If anyone get's an Ohlins rear or has there forks reworked by Traxxion, I can give you the exact settings. Traxxion changed the springs to a .90, revalved compression, revalved rebound, changed the fork oil, and did the race rebuild to the forks. The bike was very stable in the corners, although it did require a little extra effort on turn in. But overall, straight away it was very easy and comfortable to go fast on, and I never felt any unusual movements from the chassis. Definitley get yourself a set of solid mount rearsets, they kept damage to the frame and fairing to a minimum. I have not yet installed frame sliders. The lap timer works great, and much better than the one on the 999S. Having the button on the left clip on is much easier than thumbing the starter button on the 999S. Just be sure each time you go out to hit the lap timer start button on the right side. It will hold up to 19-20 laps I think. The fuel injection was glitch free, with very little on-off transition. Because I am running the Yosh map until an Akro map is ready from DynoJet, there was a little stumble below 5000 rpm, but on the track I was never below 7000-8000 rpm. Kawasaki did a great job designing the bike for track use, the mirrors, lights, fuses, turn signals, and rear brake switch, all came off clean and easy. If anyone knows the EASY mod for the sidestand, please let me know. For now I just removed the sidestand itself, and left the switch. Well, that's about all the impressions I have for now, since I only had a limited amount of time on the bike. Going back in a few weeks. I sure do envy the guy who won the "Dude For A Day" contest last night on Speed!!! The BASTID!!!
------

oh shit the cops

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.