Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey you lucky 636 owners, I have a question for you. I just bought a '96 900RR. Don't worry I still have my '97 6R (although it currently needs repairs). I'm curious about how the RR compares to the 636.

And yes, I love it! It's got custom paint, steering stabilizer, ss brake lines front and rear, full arrow system, jet kit, and down one tooth in front. I practically stole it for $4800 including a nice pitbull rear stand, bike cover and a few other odds and ends.

Anyway, I know that's it's ancient compared to the new bikes and I want to know about power wheelies. I've been on it only a few times so far, but I found that on wide open throttle the front end just lifts right up at about 7k. Sweet feeling after having to close/open the 6R! I haven't tried to wheelie it in second yet.

To compare power, torque, whatever: does the 636 and other new 600's wheelie just on WOT?

Also for anyone that knows, I found out the carbs are out of synch. When I get them synched will it wheelie easier/better?

Just to reassure everyone, I'm NOT abandoning my zx6r. I simply added another sheep to the fold (I also have an old gs700es).

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know you guys can't be hating on me just 'cuz I own a honda. Nobody ever cared about the gs700es in my garage. Sniff, sniff. I am starting to feel unloved. I said I was keeping the ninja.

c'mon 636 guys, you're always bragging about your bikes (and rightly so) tell me about the power wheelies on wot

·
Registered
266 Posts
there not hating bro its because some people have not ridden both bikes to really make a comparison. man i seen an 02 954 for 7100 hundred, i wish i i had the money to ge my hands on that one

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They don't have to have ridden a RR. I just want to know what 600's will wheelie on WOT, if any, or if you have to close/open the throttle. I'm also curious about rpm where it happens for a WOT wheelie.

·
Registered
266 Posts
you can pretty much power wheelie any 600. i can power up my 02 with out any problem.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you mean you crack the throttle and it comes up or you have to close the throttle, then crack it open? I'm trying to figure out how modern technology compares to good old fashioned engine size.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
no problem here. i can power wheelie on my 03 at about 7500 or 8000 because of the altitude here.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
My 99 and my 636 will power up in first just by ripping the throttle open. My 636 will power up in second pretty easy too.:D

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Just by accelerating my 02 636 (not the same as 03 I know) will lift it's front wheel a little somewhere close to 10K rpm, but it won't reach anywhere near balance point. At 4-4500rpm I can get the front wheel up all the way by keeping my weight on my ass and snapping the throttle open, but if you just accelerate and smoothly go to wot it won't go up until said ~10k:ish rpm. I probably unintentionally shift my weight forward, though. And usually I instinctively grab 2nd when the front comes up and I've never had it hit the limiter in 1st but I have had it to 14K rpm on wot before shifting, and the front wasn't very high up.

Does the 636 and other new 600's wheelie on wot? I'd say it's possible but where your weight is is way more crucial than +-5hp. Say the 03 has a few kg less on the front and a few more hp on top. That is minor compared to where my 72kg's come to bear.
I have tested the 03 636 and the front did come up easier than on my own bike, but to get it up enough to classify as a wheelie I'd say you have to be really trying. And this is by simply accelerating at wot, not by snapping the throttle open

Just my opinion, and I don't own a 03 myself.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Not a fair question, it really has a lot to do with your body weight. I ride with a 130-pounder who can basically power wheelie any bike he rides. Myself, not so easy (220)... BUT, I have lofted the front many times on my '03 just under power... which is no mean feat. And it's NOTHING to chop off-on at 7 or 8k to hoist it up and hold it there... the '03 really is a good wheelie bike if you're into them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know a couple of guys with the 900rr. power to weight ratio will be about the same as the 636 but the 900 will have tons more torque. If the carbs are really out of sync your power delivery will be off.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
mvrk1, I've fallen prey to the same Honda bug that has bitten you. Yes, it's true. I bought an '01 929RR yesterday. Just couldn't wait for the 10r to come out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i owned a 95 900rr back in the day and it truely was a beast. might just be the fond memories, but it was prob the fastest bike ive owned. the 03 636 handles much better, and might be just as fast on paper, but the 900rr was much more agressive down low. wheelies would come up very hard under wot, no clutch needed. still a nice bike if you can find one in good condition

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I know a couple of guys with the 900rr. power to weight ratio will be about the same as the 636 but the 900 will have tons more torque. If the carbs are really out of sync your power delivery will be off.
[:Agree]

The increase in torque would make a difference.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
my 636 comes up in first just by simply cracking it, second all you have to do is yank a lil and it will pop right up, and yes if you get your carbs tuned right it will distribute the power just right.

·
Registered
622 Posts
There is a reason that 90% of all "dedicated" stunters ride 900RR's. Ther are wheelie machines. Power to wieght doesn't mean as much as, say, wieght distribution, wheelbase, swingarm length, etc. Your CBR should be quite the stuntin machine if you set it up right. Does it have stock sprockets?

·
Registered
512 Posts
well I hate wheelieing in 1st but at wot it will start to lift at about 7 then at around 9 if you don't shut the throttle alittle you can loop it. I have had mine roll on sit down wheelie in 2nd but rare. Stock Sprockets. 1 down will power up in 2nd.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.