Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone out there gets Superbike magazine? They are supposed to have a shootout of the 636 and Gix750. If someone could please post results and comments it would be mucho appreciated. On a side note I finally got to test ride a new 636, man are you guys lucky! That bike is clearly the best 600 out there IMHO.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I owned both until a few days ago (look elsewhere in this forum) And I can tell you that in the straights, the seven fiddy would pull away with ease. But... in the twisties, the 636 will eat the Gixxer alive! The suspension is better for it, the 636's brakes are light years ahead, meaning late braking, the gearbox has closer ratios which is more forgiving of improper gear selection out of the corners... the list could go on but I'm sure you get the picture. [8D]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yep, I picked up this copy of Superbike at the weekend which basically says the following:

636 Gix750

Engine: 95% 96%
Chassis: 96% 95%
Brakes: 97% 95%
Styling: 97% 95%

Overall: 96% 95%

Basically, they said the gixer felt big, soft and heavy in comparison but it accelerated faster due to its bigger engine. They said that back to back the gixer was the sensible choice and that the 636 is now the hooligans weapon of choice!

Its pretty favourable overall towards the 636 but there are negative comments also regading the hard suspension etc etc.

heh, heh, heh.....cant wait for the weekend (picking my lime green 636 up)......yeeeeeeeha!

N:D

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Basically coming out of the slower corners there the bigger bikes have a hard time keeping up until they get that motor spinning. At races/track days more than one person has come and said "gee I thought I had you coming out of turn X but you just took off!" This bike is definately got the right gearing on its side.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Hey Strong Bad, your buddy The Wizz doesn't seem too impressed with the bike. Read Ninja Gripes and you'll see that he disses the 636 pretty bad.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Yeah I know he's been having issues with his bike. You can't win em' all. I was in that business for a little over three years, in that time I've heard people piss and moan over just about every brand out there for some reason or another. It's a rule of numbers, you run into enough people and you're gonna hear bad things about everything. I know I'm a little biased from some of the things I've seen:

I fucking HATE everything there is about Polaris, their products, their dealer reps, their managers, et al - like I said EVERYTHING about Polaris sucks.
Aprilia makes a really nice bike, and their dealer reps are some really cool people, but their dealer support sucks at the corporate level.
Yamaha, well their dealer reps aren't worth shit, trying to get hold of one is like trying to talk to a human being at the AOL customer service hotline - but they make some nice stuff that holds up pretty well.

You get the idea.

Maybe he got one of the first ones off the line, maybe Wasabi-San was thinking about that pussy he scored the night before while putting The Wizz's bike together or maybe he was still feeling the effects of last night's Saki AND thinking about that lovely snatch he had at the same time, or maybe his wife beats the crap outta him every time he goes home - who knows. The fact remains he got a crapper. I had the same problem with my first Gixxer Thou - it was stolen - but I went and got another one anyway.

This is not a perfect world and that's the way the doughnut rolls.....

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Originally posted by Strong Bad

Basically coming out of the slower corners there the bigger bikes have a hard time keeping up until they get that motor spinning. At races/track days more than one person has come and said "gee I thought I had you coming out of turn X but you just took off!" This bike is definately got the right gearing on its side.
Strong, as usual, I absolutely agree with you on this point when it comes to liter bikes, but I find the Gix 750 has a very "600"-like powerband, sorta mild until you get it revving (granted it holds on to gears a little longer than the 636)... which negates some of the 600 advantage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.