Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 636 and everytime the bike pulls up at the top of 1st I cant shift into 2nd gear. It goes straight into neutral. I tried using clutch, no clutch, shifter preload, etc... Nothing seems to work. So Im thinking its cause Im shifting when the bike is coming down and the trans slows down cause of the bike rotating downward.
Anyone have this problem? Kinda sucks that the bike only wheelies at the top of 1st right when you have to shift. Theres not even enough rpm left to bring the wheelie down slowly.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Just clutch it in 2nd gear...Problem solved :D

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,495 Posts
Well...either flick the throttle in first to snap it up quick, then shift closer to BP and you shouldn't have a problem. Or flick it up in second and ride it out...or clutch it up in 3rd...3rd lets you wheelie through 100+. =)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
you have to unload the motor more, or get the wheelie higher

·
Registered
449 Posts
im not gettin this either.... ill be in 2nd at 4k and ill take it up to 8-9k and clutch it up. it comes up like 2inches... what am i doing wrong? im on a 04 636 though

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My bike will come up in first at about 10k with no problem. Also when I shift the lever is traveling all the way upward, but it just slides into neutral no matter how hard I pull up. Its that stupid thing these bikes have where you can only shift into neutral at a stop.

I think the problem is that Im shifting while the bike is coming down and that slows down the trans since the bike is counter acting the counter clockwise direction of the sproket.
Anyone else have this problem? Maybe Im just not brining the bike up high enough. I feel like im gonna fall over. haha Im still a noob.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,495 Posts
Originally posted by Raging636
im not gettin this either.... ill be in 2nd at 4k and ill take it up to 8-9k and clutch it up. it comes up like 2inches... what am i doing wrong? im on a 04 636 though
You might be trying at too high in the revs. Try going about 40 to 42 indicated and clutching it then. It comes up a lot better if you shift your butt to the back part of the seat, too.

Originally posted by Eric514
My bike will come up in first at about 10k with no problem. Also when I shift the lever is traveling all the way upward, but it just slides into neutral no matter how hard I pull up. Its that stupid thing these bikes have where you can only shift into neutral at a stop.

I think the problem is that Im shifting while the bike is coming down and that slows down the trans since the bike is counter acting the counter clockwise direction of the sproket.
Anyone else have this problem? Maybe Im just not brining the bike up high enough. I feel like im gonna fall over. haha Im still a noob.
Um...yeah, I think we got all that. Everyone pretty much answered your questions. Try getting the bike higher before shifting. Also, try grazing the clutch a little when you go to make the clutchless shift (i.e. weight the shifter, go to neutral throttle and at the same time pull in the clutch and let it out very quickly, and only about 50% in). That might help click it up into 2nd...but the important part is being close enough to BP and not jumping back on the throttle once it clicks up...it can be a tad dangerous at first, especially in a 1-2 shift.

·
Powerhungry
38,189 Posts
Originally posted by trig
You have to shift harder...I wasn't doing a wheelie but today at lunch I took it to redline in first and I tried to shift so quick I missed it and went like kajsdinmnak...it kinda sounded like electricty or some kinda zapping noise.
from what ive noticed, these bikes do NOT like to be shifted from 1st to 2nd at or near redline. other gears seem to be fine tho.
try shifting up to 2nd at 14+k, it will feel solid, like your trying for 7th

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hmm. I just go WOT in 2nd. Roll 1st to 8-9k, shift to 2nd WOT. Mine will come right up. I weight 190lbs. I don't even do them to often, just like to ride, but I can get it up on command. I'm not ride 1 tire to 100mph in 3rd, I'll watch though.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Blood pressure :D

Balance point

·
Registered
301 Posts
I haven't tried shifting yet in a wheelie, I am afraid it will cause me to loop it. But I can pull up a good wheelie and ride it out in 1st

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Originally posted by trig
These things can wheelie without clutch in first?
O trig...you have so much to learn [:p]

1st - Pow-pow-pow-power wheelies

2nd - Clutch that shit up

:D

And what's the problem with shifting from 1st to 2nd near the redline? I've done it like XXX amount of times and I've never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
I had the same problem....DUH, GP SHIFTING, never miss a shift into 2nd while up on one. Power up in 1st at 9K shift to 2nd atmax redline and ride it out. SHHHH, don't till my wife I ride like this, she would kill me.:D

·
Registered
449 Posts
^^^ haha thats awesome "SHHHH, don't till my wife I ride like this, she would kill me".

I was told that your "not" supposed to shift while up one 1... ? im confused

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.