Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I haven't had the issue, but I'd lift the front off the ground and then pull. If there's still noise, steering stem issue. No noise, fork issue.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Okay? Ill try retightening steering stem nut then.
Just tightening the upper nut on top of the triple may not help. Before you start tearing it apart.
If you already checked up/down play with bike supported and front wheel off ground and all is good, then proceed to step one. If not proceed to step 3
1. Check the toque on the upper and lower triple bolts...2 lower, 1 upper each side. If good:
2.Loosen the two bolts slightly on each side of the lower triple and twist the forks with the front wheel stabilized. Important to keep the upper triple clamp bolts tight. This will check and may slightly realign the forks in the triples....retorque to specs. If good:
3. Support bike with front wheel off ground..Remove upper triple nut, remove upper triple, clip-ons (let hang on each side), remove calipers and support, remove two retaining nuts for upper triple, slide lower triple with wheel out from bike and examine bearings and races...on triple and on frame. Replace if necessary.

Note: I am a helicopter mechanic and not a service manual or certified motorcycle mechanic. I work on most everything mechanical and it is fairly simple..checking bearing from a multi million dollar helicopter to a John Deere or lawn mower are no diff.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would guess that it could be the steering stem bearing or the mounting bolt, you might want also to check the brake hose guide.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have taken off the upper triple, and I saw that the upper retaining nut was loose?!
So I took the upper nut off, and then the lower nut, which was tightened okay I think.

I tried pulling the handles again, and there was the same noise. Then I tried tightening the lower retaining nut to see if the noise stopped, but it never stops, no matter how hard I tighten it.

This bothers me alot, because the noise is pretty loud.
And when I look at the top bearing it does not seem like anything should be wrong with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, if I sit down and grab the tyre and push the bike back and fourth fast, like shaking it, the sound also comes.
It does not say anything when i push down on the handlebars, it is when i releas it.

I am beginning to think that it might not be the steering stem after all, but inside the fork legs or something.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I just joined the forum because I am having the same problem and was curious if you have found a solution. I agree that it sounds like the internals of the forks. I bought the 06 zx636 from someone who took a pretty bad crash on it, went in a ditch so bent rim, frame etc but the forks are straight and rebound just fine except the click. Just finished the frame swap and I'm pretty certain this pop is coming from the top half of the left fork. Many wheelie fanatics complain of this problem so I'm probably about to tear the front forks apart and take a look. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I just joined the forum because I am having the same problem and was curious if you have found a solution. I agree that it sounds like the internals of the forks. I bought the 06 zx636 from someone who took a pretty bad crash on it, went in a ditch so bent rim, frame etc but the forks are straight and rebound just fine except the click. Just finished the frame swap and I'm pretty certain this pop is coming from the top half of the left fork. Many wheelie fanatics complain of this problem so I'm probably about to tear the front forks apart and take a look. Thanks!
Did you ever find the solution? Mine does the same thing it definitely sounds like it’s inside the fork tube

1 - 10 of 10 Posts